Carnival Pride March 2022 itinerary change

Found out today that our March 13 Western Caribbean 7 day cruise from Tampa has had a significant itinerary change. We lose Grand Cayman and add Costa Maya. My wife is very disappointed. We love Grand Cayman and we were really looking forward to a return visit to Stingray City. We don’t know much about Costa Maya other than it’s a “manufactured cruise port” by Carnival Cruise Lines. I have several questions. I know that Carnival had nothing to do with this decision (it was the Cayman government’s call) and that Carnival is within their rights to make itinerary changes at any point. Can I expect any compensation from Carnival? Can I attempt to squeeze my Personal Vacation Planner, who is outstanding, for any compensation? What should I ask for? Onboard credit? Free alcohol? A free shore excursion? What does the cruise critic community think about Costa Maya? Any great, can’t miss shore excursions? Carnival has not yet posted their shore excursions for Costa Maya. Thanks. 

Costa Maya is very primitive....there is an area right off the pier with shops/bars etc but not too much beyond.  We did a Carnival jeep ride excursion that included lunch.  It was interesting and fun but nothing special.  It is not a place I am eager to go back to.  We also favor Grand Cayman.

Edited by famof4togo

Read your cruise contract.  Why does everyone thing they deserve something extra???  😞

It's been stated many times there will be NO compensation.

go on your cruise and have a good time.

• Like 2

Don't expect any compensation from Carnival.  We have done a lot of cruising post-pandemic (seven cruises, with more on the schedule) and itineraries have been changed both pre- and post-embarkation, none of which were under Carnival's control.  The situation in Grand Cayman, for example, has been going on for months, and we weren't surprised that it fell off of our itinerary.

You simply make the best of it.

We did a very nice excursion from Costa Maya through a third-party vendor.  It included a trip to Mayan ruins with a very knowledgeable guide, and a meal with a local family where we learned how to make tortillas over a wood fire.  It's certainly different than hanging out in Grand Cayman, but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

https://www.thenativechoice.com/tours/mayan-experience-tour

1 minute ago, BossyKat said:

Read your cruise contract.  Why does everyone thing they deserve something extra???  😞

It's been stated many times there will be NO compensation.

go on your cruise and have a good time.

While that may be the fact, it is still disappointing for those who book a trip for certain ports. Many do.   

6 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

While that may be the fact, it is still disappointing for those who book a trip for certain ports. Many do.   

Of course it is disappointing.  But port cancellations and changes happen all the time.  It happened even before Covid.  It's one of the risks one takes when you book a cruise.

• Like 2

Yes, and sometimes they cancel during the cruise. We had two different cruises when we had to skip port. Once DR and once Grand Turk. I actually felt really bad for the guest services team. They were getting blasted. I stopped by their desk just to tell them how great of a job they were doing. Carnival wants to keep the itinerary, but stuff happens. At this point, we are lucky the cruise industry survived the shutdown. 

• Like 1

We live in NY and booked the Pride out of Baltimore during hurricane season on the Eastern itinerary a few years back. 

Hurricane Matthew decided we needed to change that up and we ended up with a Port of call in NYC. Then we cruised in circles in the Atlantic for 3 days. Nearly 700 people debarked in NYC. We then had the ship to ourselves. 

To sum things up, we drove from NY to Baltimore, and cruised back to NY. 

It ended up being my one of my favorite cruises. 🤣

We cruise for the ships I guess. Lol

Some may prefer Costa Maya over Progreso, Nassau, or Bimini. Others have booked Bermuda cruises only to end up switched to a Bahamas cruise. Ship happens. Most on here know of the situation in Grand Cayman, although it may reopen soon.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Check out a ruins, beach or Marahuel town excursion for your substitute Costa Maya port stop.  I'm not personally in favor of staying in the immediate port area, except for a holistic spa therapy activity that's sited there.

No compensation for change in itinerary though.  Sometimes Cayman gets cancelled due to tide or windy conditions as well.  Carnival and other lines have had to pay penalties for their ships anchor lines damaging coral reefs while at tender.

Pre-Covid, we took the Carnival Chacchoben Mayan Ruins excursion. I really enjoyed it!  If you are interested in that type of cruise-sponsored activity, this is a good way to spend your time in Port.  

• Like 1

We have been to Costa Maya and you are correct, the port area is a manufactured tourist trap.

Nevertheless, we had a great a great time on a private tour of the Chacchoben ruins wich also included a fabulous lunch at a private home owned by Mayan decendants.  It was FAR less than the Carnival tour, only 6 people in a van, got to the ruins before the bus loads from the cruise line and we had a private guide through the whole thing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, K&RCurt said:

We have been to Costa Maya and you are correct, the port area is a manufactured tourist trap.

Nevertheless, we had a great a great time on a private tour of the Chacchoben ruins wich also included a fabulous lunch at a private home owned by Mayan decendants.  It was FAR less than the Carnival tour, only 6 people in a van, got to the ruins before the bus loads from the cruise line and we had a private guide through the whole thing.

Native Choice?

We used them and thought they were great.

Costa Maya is one of our favorite ports and we prefer it over Grand Cayman. No tenders required and more to do - Mayan Ruins, Bacalar Lagoon, snorkeling, diving, catamaran sails, nice beach clubs, etc. . Check Native Choice Tours for Mayan Ruins & the Bacalar Lagoon. Maya Chan is a great  all-inclusive beach day.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 2