Viking Insurance

ropomo

We normally buy third party insurance on our trips. However, we also always review Vikings offerings. In looking at their details (definitions in the details), I can find no definitions for "Interuptions". We are particularly concerned if the illness or death of a parent is covered in this area given that my MIL is teetering. Am I missing something or is this section missing from the Viking insurance link?

20 minutes ago, ropomo said:

We normally buy third party insurance on our trips. However, we also always review Vikings offerings. In looking at their details (definitions in the details), I can find no definitions for "Interuptions". We are particularly concerned if the illness or death of a parent is covered in this area given that my MIL is teetering. Am I missing something or is this section missing from the Viking insurance link?

This is covered in Part B - Section 1 Coverages, Trip Interuption.52800039_VikingInsurance.pdf 

I attach a copy of the full document, which I downloaded last year.

• Thanks 1

Several years ago we booked a Viking cruise and insured it with TripMate. The flight (arranged by Viking) was delayed and we missed the cruise. It took 3 months of daily calls to the insurance company, Viking and CEO's of both companies to finally get the refund we were owed. Never again with TripMate. Go with a third party-just my personal opinion.

Edited by floinnc
  • Like 3

• 7 months later...

If viking's "insurance" came directly from them then I would consider it.  They use trip mate so why not go through an insurance broker who offers a cheaper option?  I think all insurance companies take forever to reimburse and there is always a lot of paper work.  I use steve from the trip insurance store and he is a wealth of information.  The company will also assist you if you have to make a claim.  They stand behind the companies they use but all companies have very explicit contracts.  Most people who are dissatisfied with their lack of reimbursement have usually misunderstood their coverage.

You need to look if a cancellation or delay refund is by (A) Future Cruise Credit or (B) cash.

The type of refund may be what is causing the problem.

I used to also purchase a non cruise insurance, but insurance cost is linked to age.

For a recent cruise I  priced an independent insurance to the cost of Viking's.  The cost of the independent insurance was $2000 more than the cost of Viking group insurance.

Also the coverage you receive for purchasing insurance when making the cruise deposit covers more that insurance purchased with final payment or just before travel.

Just a few things to check when purchasing cruise insurance. 

• Like 1

I have had two claims in the years I have bought travel insurance. This year I had delayed luggage of 12 days -- it took about 2 months to get reimbursed once claims were submitted. In both cases I used Travel Guard. This time I am using a different company because, for me, the medical and additional expenses are the most important part of insurance. I do not have to insure the whole trip with this company -- highly recommended by Steve at the Travel Store -- to get the benefits. To keep the insurance cost down I may insure half the trip cost and be willing to take a hit on the other half. I have not yet decided.

One question with Viking insurance is do they cover you for air if you do your own? I don't know the answer but if I was using them  would want to know

Stay away from Viking insurance. They have a problem paying even though they approved the claim.

It has been 4 months and waiting, called every week for the last month and always same answer ' approved but wait for payment'

15 minutes ago, flare3192 said:

One question with Viking insurance is do they cover you for air if you do your own?

No, they do not. Viking insurance only covers what you purchase through Viking. If you extend your trip on your own, if you buy your own air, it is not covered -- and that includes not covering any travel delays or medical issues that might occur on those days.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

This is concerning that these delays are happening.  We have never used Tripmate, as we always buy our own.

Does anyone have a good news story about Tripmate?

When we cancelled the WC, I submitted a claim for the retained deposit of $2,000. They received the documents on 29th Aug and approved the claim on 8th September.

Due to the cost of both the WC deposit cost and total cost, no local or online broker would accept the risk, so we had no option other than Tripmate.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

When we cancelled the WC, I submitted a claim for the retained deposit of $2,000. They received the documents on 29th Aug and approved the claim on 8th September.

Due to the cost of both the WC deposit cost and total cost, no local or online broker would accept the risk, so we had no option other than Tripmate.

That's great news but have you received the reimbursement yet? 

47 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

That's great news but have you received the reimbursement yet? 

Received the confirmation by mail last week and expect the cheque within a couple of weeks, depending on the efficiency of Canada Post.

4 hours ago, rmalbers said:

I 'thought' a big reason to go with viking is because their insurance had 'cancel for any reason', I thought that's why it cost more.  Is that not correct? 

The Viking insurance is priced as a percentage of cruise fare, rather than a risk-based assessment based on age and medical conditions. Depending on your age and medical history, the Viking insurance may be cheaper.

CFAR also has a list of exclusions. If a CFAR claim is accepted you receive vouchers, which are only valid for 1-year.

Viking's insurance also has very low medical coverage.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rmalbers said:

I 'thought' a big reason to go with viking is because their insurance had 'cancel for any reason', I thought that's why it cost more.  Is that not correct? 

The CFAR only applies if the insurance is purchased within a short set time frame (do not recall the # of days) of booking. Also, as Heidi mentioned, there is only a refund if cancellation is for any of the listed covered reasons, as most insurance would cover.

The For Any Reason coverage ( such as the birth of a grandchild or a family wedding) only provides a voucher for future cruise credit. We would be on board this moment if not for the beautiful baby boy asleep in the next room! We moved the trip forward a year with no problem.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

The CFAR only applies if the insurance is purchased within a short set time frame (do not recall the # of days) of booking. Also, as Heidi mentioned, there is only a refund if cancellation is for any of the listed covered reasons, as most insurance would cover.

The For Any Reason coverage ( such as the birth of a grandchild or a family wedding) only provides a voucher for future cruise credit. We would be on board this moment if not for the beautiful baby boy asleep in the next room! We moved the trip forward a year with no problem.

Ya, the voucher would sure be better than the regular cancel costs that's for sure.  Yes, that's right about purchase timing.  My TA has already got me into a cheaper insurance but I got the email for a trip that had: "This plan may only be purchased up to 120 days (180 days for voyages of 35 days or longer) prior to your scheduled Viking cruise departure date."   There was other fine print I didn't read also, loL. 

19 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The Viking insurance is priced as a percentage of cruise fare, rather than a risk-based assessment based on age and medical conditions. Depending on your age and medical history, the Viking insurance may be cheaper.

CFAR also has a list of exclusions. If a CFAR claim is accepted you receive vouchers, which are only valid for 1-year.

Viking's insurance also has very low medical coverage.

That's interesting, no risk assessment.  It sort of isn't even insurance then.  It's sort of a trip protection fee, lol! 

On 3/2/2022 at 9:22 AM, floinnc said:

TripMate

Here's my take on their insurance - I don't like how they arbitrarily add it unless you specifically tell them not to. Not sure what the time limit is on having them remove it. I usually don't do cruise line insurance but always forget to say anything when booking a Viking trip. 

4 hours ago, rmalbers said:

That's interesting, no risk assessment.  It sort of isn't even insurance then.  It's sort of a trip protection fee, lol! 

It does include a small emergency medical coverage of about $250K, if memory is correct. Therefore, even with Viking insurance, we still require additional medical insurance to cover the additional foreign medical costs our Province doesn't pay.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

It does include a small emergency medical coverage of about $250K, if memory is correct. Therefore, even with Viking insurance, we still require additional medical insurance to cover the additional foreign medical costs our Province doesn't pay.

Andy, this was the coverage offered by Viking/Tripmate for a 35-day cruise in June 2023.  As you point out, the medical coverage is totally inadequate and must be augmented.

I tend to view the Viking offering as trip cancellation/interruption insurance with a CFAR option if you are happy with vouchers. Worth evaluating against other options, but no magic. 🍺🥌

image.png.9aedd9cb94bf7b9f8351395c52ceb802.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Andy, this was the coverage offered by Viking/Tripmate for a 35-day cruise in June 2023.  As you point out, the medical coverage is totally inadequate and must be augmented.

I tend to view the Viking offering as trip cancellation/interruption insurance with a CFAR option if you are happy with vouchers. Worth evaluating against other options, but no magic. 🍺🥌

image.png.9aedd9cb94bf7b9f8351395c52ceb802.png

Rob,

We also consider the Viking Insurance as only trip cancellation/interruption, and as no other brokers would insure the World Cruise risk, we were stuck with the Viking insurance.

Just checked my records and noted the coverage was as you posted above, so my post from memory was incorrect. The medical coverage was only $100K, which is totally inadequate.

• Like 1