Tipping, True or False

cruisinnorth

16 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

And for our fellow Canadian cruisers. don't tip with a toonie. The crew will definitely think it's a fake. As besides, hauling a hundred or two of those things onto the cruise ship would weigh a tonne!

🏋️‍♂️

🙂

I still travel with a few of these on hand....

image.png.d5f90bcd9f1fb673af84d981182b6373.png

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

And for our fellow Canadian cruisers. don't tip with a toonie.

LOL--- Try tipping with Canadian currency of any kind next time you are on a cruise or, in a small bar in the Lone Star State or enjoying ( ?? ) a " Dancer ( ?? ) " in a joint in Turkey while " You Know Who " is stuck for 4 hrs on a tour buying rugs----- that you don't need. ( There's a subject for discussion at dinner that night )!!

14 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL--- Try tipping with Canadian currency of any kind next time you are on a cruise or, in a small bar in the Lone Star State or enjoying ( ?? ) a " Dancer ( ?? ) " in a joint in Turkey while " You Know Who " is stuck for 4 hrs on a tour buying rugs----- that you don't need. ( There's a subject for discussion at dinner that night )!!

I bought a rug while on a cruise and in Turkey. It's a big ceremonial thing. Long process. You can't cut it short for fear of insulted the establishment owner.   Lugged it all the way back to the states. That was stupid, but my other half was too cheap to pay the shipping.  He got the rug in the divorce.

39 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

I bought a rug while on a cruise and in Turkey. It's a big ceremonial thing. Long process. You can't cut it short for fear of insulted the establishment owner.

LOL--

" big ceremonial thing " ----where I come from it's called a " 4 hr Sales Pitch " ( Talk about pressure !! ).

" for fear of insulted the establishment owner " ---

Trust me, we can't insult these guys---

We also got stuck in Turkey on a ship's tour to see how rugs were made, oops, sold , but, got away and didn't buy a rug when OUR salesman went to get an Order Form ( Everyone gets their own salesperson sitting right in your face for 4 hrs!! ). 

I think the guy's brother was selling gold Rolex watches for $ 2000 --- even said they weren't fake.

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

I bought a rug while on a cruise and in Turkey. It's a big ceremonial thing. Long process. You can't cut it short for fear of insulted the establishment owner.   Lugged it all the way back to the states. That was stupid, but my other half was too cheap to pay the shipping.  He got the rug in the divorce.

Took the bus tour to the Grand Bazaar. Bus stops up the street from entrance of Grand Bazaar in front of rug shop. Passengers are greeted by 12 rug shop employees locking arms so no passenger can 'break through' to 'bee-line' to bazaar until they sit through a rug sales pitch inside the rug shop. The owner of the rug shop asks each passenger their home town and replies to them the Oriental rug shop and its owners name in their hometown. (This Turkish gentleman sells his rugs all over the US and knows what one pays in the states). One seldom gets a real deal. When the 12 employees disappeared into the back of the shop, I grabbed DW's hand and ran for the front door before the owner got to us. I think they now lock the door after we escaped.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, cdn_tbird said:

I don't think you need to feel bad or apologize. To be honest, I thought that the US had permanently done away with the $2 bill. I've done a lot of business trips to the US over my 30+ year career and I've never been given (or seen) a $2 bill. Had I not learned that it was still legal tender, had someone given me one, I would have thought it was fake.

They haven't been issued as new in decades, and are exceedingly rare in term of $ that you see on a regular basis, but you can still 'order' them from a bank and receive a nice, new, crisp stack of them.   Used to have a drugstore in the town I grew up where the owner always had them in the register.  It turned into their trademark, because it was the ONLY place you would see them, or you knew that someone had been to Uber's if you were given one. 

6 minutes ago, D C said:

They haven't been issued as new in decades...

Series 2017A $2 notes (the most recent) were first being distributed in 2019.  About 115,000,000 of those have been printed so far.

I spend a bit of time processing counterfeit currency for the PD here, and while I've never run across a bogus $2, I still have to be familiar with all of the series.

29 minutes ago, canderson said:

Series 2017A $2 notes (the most recent) were first being distributed in 2019.  About 115,000,000 of those have been printed so far.

I spend a bit of time processing counterfeit currency for the PD here, and while I've never run across a bogus $2, I still have to be familiar with all of the series.

Very interesting.

4 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Very interesting.

It actually is.  It's only tedious if we pick up a large number of bills.  The USSS website requires handwritten serialization on the back of every bill as part of the data entry process.  Writer's cramp time.

Wish more retailers would report them.  Would make it a lot easier to find the bad actors and get both them and their 'product' out of circulation more quickly.  They're lazy, and if caught after the fact, often just dump them into the night deposit to make the numbers for the day balance, and wait to get dinged by the bank, and the banks don't report to the PD.

The only bills we never see are 2's and 5's.  We see a few 'washed' 1's every week, though.

All of which is to say I chuckle about people who suspect 2's 🤔 just because they don't often see them.

Edited by canderson

9 hours ago, canderson said:

It actually is.  It's only tedious if we pick up a large number of bills.  The USSS website requires handwritten serialization on the back of every bill as part of the data entry process.  Writer's cramp time.

Wish more retailers would report them.  Would make it a lot easier to find the bad actors and get both them and their 'product' out of circulation more quickly.  They're lazy, and if caught after the fact, often just dump them into the night deposit to make the numbers for the day balance, and wait to get dinged by the bank, and the banks don't report to the PD.

The only bills we never see are 2's and 5's.  We see a few 'washed' 1's every week, though.

All of which is to say I chuckle about people who suspect 2's 🤔 just because they don't often see them.

Thanks! I love learning news things about how processes work.  Shocked really that banks don't report to the PD.

The iodine pens you see at retail outlets will catch a lot, but are useless against 'washed' notes and another technique I won't describe.  Below, I'll crib from an article that describes my preferred process instead of typing it all.  It refers to the denomination number in the lower right corner, though doesn't spell that out clearly.  The proper name for it is "optically variable ink".  

In half decent light (not much help in a dimly lit bar) this procedure is quick, easy and reliable.  If a bill passes this simple test, it's either good, or you won't have access to any tools to prove otherwise, also known as a 'superbill'.  These are said to be in circulation thanks only to certain, ahem, foreign governments.

As an aside, $100s also use this feature in the little Liberty bell / inkwell feature on any recent series.

o  Tilt  the bill  to examine the color-shifting  ink.  Color-shifting  ink  (ink  that appears  to  change  color  when the  bill  is  tilted)  can be  found on 100,  50 and  20  dollar  bills  series  1996 and later,  and  on 10  dollar  bills  series  1999 and later;  $5  and  lower  bills  do  not  yet  have this  feature.  The color originally  appeared to  change  from  green to  black,  but  it  goes  from  copper to green in  recent  redesigns  of  the bills.   

15 hours ago, canderson said:

2017? No way! I had no idea

On 3/6/2022 at 7:18 AM, DirtyDawg said:

And for our fellow Canadian cruisers. don't tip with a toonie. The crew will definitely think it's a fake. As besides, hauling a hundred or two of those things onto the cruise ship would weigh a tonne!

🏋️‍♂️

🙂

And...that pushes us to the $5 bill instead of $2's.

5 hours ago, canderson said:

The iodine pens you see at retail outlets will catch a lot, but are useless against 'washed' notes and another technique I won't describe.  Below, I'll crib from an article that describes my preferred process instead of typing it all.  It refers to the denomination number in the lower right corner, though doesn't spell that out clearly.  The proper name for it is "optically variable ink".  

In half decent light (not much help in a dimly lit bar) this procedure is quick, easy and reliable.  If a bill passes this simple test, it's either good, or you won't have access to any tools to prove otherwise, also known as a 'superbill'.  These are said to be in circulation thanks only to certain, ahem, foreign governments.

As an aside, $100s also use this feature in the little Liberty bell / inkwell feature on any recent series.

o  Tilt  the bill  to examine the color-shifting  ink.  Color-shifting  ink  (ink  that appears  to  change  color  when the  bill  is  tilted)  can be  found on 100,  50 and  20  dollar  bills  series  1996 and later,  and  on 10  dollar  bills  series  1999 and later;  $5  and  lower  bills  do  not  yet  have this  feature.  The color originally  appeared to  change  from  green to  black,  but  it  goes  from  copper to green in  recent  redesigns  of  the bills.   

I have to go to the bank this weekend. I'm going to get some of each and look at them in entirely new light. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

I have to go to the bank this weekend. I'm going to get some of each and look at them in entirely new light. Thank you!

Good pun.

I always keep current series $10 thru $100 in my billfold for 'demo' purposes.

At retail, it's easy enough to check about five bills at a time by quickly fanning them out to expose the lower right corners of each and tilting the whole batch.