Dinner wear and formal wear on HAL on Alaskan Cruises these days

trivia addict

We last cruised Alaska on HAL in 2007. I have a lovely picture of the group with the women in black cocktail dresses and the men in suits and ties.

We will be doing this cruise again this August. I’m wondering what most people now wear to dinner on Alaskan cruises and how dressy are the formal nights?

Dinner attire on cruise ships in general have become more informal in the 15 years since you have cruised on HAL.  For formal night (gala, chic, whatever), especially on an Alaskan cruise, you would see women in black dress pants with a dressy top.  There is always the travel dress with scarf option as well.  For gentlemen, a button-down collared shirt with a sportscoat (no tie needed), would be fine.  Or, for the more stylish guy, a fashion crewneck shirt under a blazer.

I do remember though, on my last HAL cruise, that we were still in the bar towards the end of Happy Hour on a Formal Night, but had not yet dressed for dinner.  As more formally attired passengers arrived, I did feel underdressed. (this was a cruise during the school months, so no families, but more the older passengers demographics).

As you live in the Seattle area, you know that there are hardly any restaurants that you really have to dress up for.  Canlis comes to mind, but I think they too have relaxed their coat & tie dress code.  (I am actually going to be there soon, so I will see for myself).

Remember, that the Alaskan cruises are port intensive, so after visiting the port-of-call all day, and possibly returning back to the ship during the dinner service, most folks will just freshen up, and show-up to dinner as is.  Since the Alaska cruises are during the summer months, it might feel out of place to be in a sequenced gown when the sun is still shining at 9 PM.

Don't fret about it, you will have just two formal nights, and those should be on your sea days.  I do have to say though, "you do you" - and if dressing up is what you want, or look forward to, then go for it.  It's always great to see a man in a tux.

5 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I do have to say though, "you do you" - and if dressing up is what you want, or look forward to, then go for it.

I agree with Ferry_Watcher's statement.  My most recent Alaska cruises were 2019 sailings on Westerdam and Coral Princess.  I wore my tux on formal/gala/whatever the name evenings.  There were a few other gentlemen so attired, but, we were definitely in the minority.  Sport coats with or without a tie was the most common attire I saw gentlemen wearing.  

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies. both were very helpful.

Normally, we do “do us”and dress for dinner and formal nights. So, we will do the black cocktail dress and sport coat and tie, for Alaska this year.

I was just wondering how casual it had become. Will probably dress down to capris and nice tops for regular dinners.

Ferry_Watcher, having a home on Whidbey part of the year, I love your name! And yes, I know how casual Seattle can be. We are New Yorkers and you wouldn’t believe how out of place I felt with my clothes the first time I came to Seattle!

Enjoy Canlis. We were treated to it by our son for a Christmas gift.

Sit by the window. What a view!

Would love to hear other opinions on Alaska dining.

• Like 1

Alaska formal wear -

tongue in cheek -

a long sleeve plaid shirt -

blue jeans and lumber jack boots !

A light touch of evergreen antiperspirant or bear something or other and good to go.

Nothing is in vogue here -

no fashion avenue -

No puttin on the Ritz !

Candlelight dinners - well artificial candles - - -

Sitting next to the dinner table window soaking in all that late mid-night sun -

Enjoy this special level of cruising - this is not the Caribbean or Mediterranean for ambiance !  

• Like 2