Reflection to be revolutionized in Sept ('22) ?

Tom-n-Cheryl

On 3/3/2022 at 1:26 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

First I've heard of this, but I have not been fully following the boards on this topic over the several months. Apparently it was cancelled previously due to COVID, then moved to '23. Yesterday I heard from both the retreat host onboard (Reflection) and at the Future Cruise Desk that it's now scheduled for this September -- which prompted my deposit for a November sailing.

So - anyone know if this will be a full revolutionization similar to the Silhouette ?

I just looked at some images of the suite changes (RS) and Michael's. I must say, the balcony furniture looks less comfortable without any cushions. They could have eliminated the tub out there in favor of ample space for another lounger. But, hey, they didn't ask me. 🙂 

Tom

Reflection was always scheduled for 2023 in the Revolution schedule even prior to Covid. Not sure why they don't just stick to that and do the full Revolution update since it's almost a year away. The fleet is turning into a patchwork quilt of updates, non-updates and half-updates.

Revolution.JPG

7 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I received an update a few days ago:

We are doing the dry dock on the 18th of October. The plan is to get a retreat sundeck and do a few changes around the ship.
However i am not sure if they are going to do any Suite renovations.

Tom

If this happens I wouldn't expect the full sundeck update, i.e. no hot tub.

2 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Reflection was always scheduled for 2023 in the Revolution schedule even prior to Covid. Not sure why they don't just stick to that and do the full Revolution update since it's almost a year away. The fleet is turning into a patchwork quilt of updates, non-updates and half-updates.

Revolution.JPG

I'm totally speculating, but I wonder if it has anything to do with feeback about the "updates."

7 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Does she go as far as to ask you to dress the part?  lol

Tom

She's got more sense than that. No need for both of us to get all depressed. 🤣

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Revolution.JPG

Better than no fleet at all, I commend the cruise operators who managed to thread the needle and survive the last 2 years.

19 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'd have to say that the Lawn Club Grill and, even more so, The Porch were two standouts for us. It would be difficult to return to a S-class ship without them!

Tom

I agree completely. Our first 3 Celebrity sailings were on the Silhouette (completely by happenstance) and we loved the LCG and Porch. We booked our recent cruise on the Reflection in  part - though not entirely - because of those 2 dining venues (we at at each twice). 😉 Although I love the S-Class ships, it would be hard to sail on one without them.

15 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Revolution.JPG

I'm merely speculating, but would not be surprised if it had to do with the fact that the industry was shut down for more than a year, and that ships have been sailing far below capacity since the restart. I can't imagine the cruise line is so flush with excess revenue at this point that it can afford much in the way of "unnecessary" expenses. 

• Like 1

Interesting that the deck plans on the Celebrity web site do not show any Retreat deck (deck 16) or other Revolution changes in the future "Beginning April 22, 2023" deck plan. It makes no sense financially that Celebrity would be making any cosmetic or Revolution changes in a dry docking other than required regular maintenance and inspections. Over the years I have heard a lot of unsubstantiated scuttlebutt from many crew members.  If these reports were true, Celebrity would have already announced the changes to help attract more bookings for next year on the Reflection. We sail of the Reflection in August in a Sky Suite.

When and if Revolutionizing resumes, the remaining M class ships, if kept in the fleet, desperately need it first. The Infinity was, pre Covid, supposed to have been Revolutionized in April 2020. We booked SS B2B Infinity cruises in Sept 2020 because of the scheduled Revolutionizing, that was Covid canceled. The Reflection is the newest S class and the older S class ships should be Revolutionized first.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

I'm merely speculating, but would not be surprised if it had to do with the fact that the industry was shut down for more than a year, and that ships have been sailing far below capacity since the restart. I can't imagine the cruise line is so flush with excess revenue at this point that it can afford much in the way of "unnecessary" expenses. 

Ya think?😀  As long as capital is in short supply and what little exists is being applied to new ship builds, then the full Revolution updates will be a distant memory.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

Please spare the snark. I am well aware of what the entire world has been going through let alone the cruise industry. But we're also talking about something that is about a year away and with Celebrity continuing to push "The Retreat" in full force through all their marketing and on their websites when there are a number of ships that don't have all the amenities. If they have no plans to fully follow through with these Revolution updates then they need to make that clear on the website ship by ship so customers know exactly what they are purchasing especially in the case of ships like Equinox that only get partial updates (which had nothing to do with Covid btw). And the reason I know it's confusing is because people come to these boards and ask us questions to clarify what is on what ship. I feel bad for those who don't know about this resource and show up onboard to find certain amenities not there that expected. You shouldn't have to hunt for asterisks to dig for fine print that tells you "Only on (insert ships)" or "Not available on (insert ships)". There would be no shame in them coming out with a PR statement that says all updates are on hold until thus and such year or updates are coming but in a more limited fashion and articulate what that would mean, i.e. hull painting, soft goods, Retreat sundeck with no hot tub, etc. People are a big fan of transparency. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Ya think?😀  As long as capital is in short supply and what little exists is being applied to new ship builds, then the full Revolution updates will be a distant memory.

Which is fine but they should just say that so people can make an informed decision when purchasing and know exactly what to expect once onboard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Please spare the snark. I am well aware of what the entire world has been going through let alone the cruise industry. But we're also talking about something that is about a year away and with Celebrity continuing to push "The Retreat" in full force through all their marketing and on their websites when there are a number of ships that don't have all the amenities. If they have no plans to fully follow through with these Revolution updates then they need to make that clear on the website ship by ship so customers know exactly what they are purchasing especially in the case of ships like Equinox that only get partial updates (which had nothing to do with Covid btw). And the reason I know it's confusing is because people come to these boards and ask us questions to clarify what is on what ship. I feel bad for those who don't know about this resource and show up onboard to find certain amenities not there that expected. You shouldn't have to hunt for asterisks to dig for fine print that tells you "Only on (insert ships)" or "Not available on (insert ships)". There would be no shame in them coming out with a PR statement that says all updates are on hold until thus and such year or updates are coming but in a more limited fashion and articulate what that would mean, i.e. hull painting, soft goods, Retreat sundeck with no hot tub, etc. People are a big fan of transparency. 

For the record, there was no "snark" intended at all. I was merely offering my thoughts on the topic

2 hours ago, emmas gran said:

I'm wondering how the staff on board that told the OP are feeling if there is a Celebrity HO watching the thread.

At no time during my conversations with them was it implied that this information was in any way confidential - and since I heard it from two different people/departments, I'd guess it's common knowledge onboard.

Tom 

14 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Which is fine but they should just say that so people can make an informed decision when purchasing and know exactly what to expect once onboard.

Yes I agree with you.  Celebrity should 1) release a revised schedule if they plan to complete the Revolution or 2) announce the cancellation of the program entirely.  Alternatively they could announce a new program which details what they will do to the remaining ships if less than originally intended.  And when.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes I agree with you.  Celebrity should 1) release a revised schedule if they plan to complete the Revolution or 2) announce the cancellation of the program entirely.  Alternatively they could announce a new program which details what they will do to the remaining ships if less than originally intended.  And when.

I believe that Celebrity has not made a final decision about continuing or discontinuing the Revolutionizing of their fleet, so any announcement could be premature at this point. Just like I do not think any decisions have been made about selling the 2 oldest non revolutionized M class ships.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I believe that Celebrity has not made a final decision about continuing or discontinuing the Revolutionizing of their fleet, so any announcement could be premature at this point. Just like I do not think any decisions have been made about selling the 2 oldest non revolutionized M class ships.

Possibly correct but I do agree with @WonderMan3 that they need to say something about the situation. 

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Possibly correct but I do agree with @WonderMan3 that they need to say something about the situation. 

"We're not going to proceed with any formal plans to Revolutionize the remaining ships in the fleet. However, we'll spruce them up if and when we have the time and resources..."

I dunno, maybe it's best they say nothing and just do it quietly.

Just now, RichYak said:

"We're not going to proceed with any formal plans to Revolutionize the remaining ships in the fleet. However, we'll spruce them up if and when we have the time and resources..."

I dunno, maybe it's best they say nothing and just do it quietly.

OK thanks for sharing that quote.  When was it? and from whom?

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

OK thanks for sharing that quote.  When was it? and from whom?

Me, just now. Doesn't sound very confidence inspiring, does it.

It serves no purpose to X to announce anything unless formal plans to Revolutionize are under way again and there are dates and details. "Not only are we going to Revolutionize, we're gonna do it better than we would have before." Until they can say that, they should quietly go about their business.