Fiordland National Park

On 3/5/2022 at 7:51 PM, boeckli said:

What a coincidence. Do either of you have photos of the Norwegian Jewel in Milford Sound from that day (22.02.2020)?

My husband and i were also on this cruise on the Maasdam when Norwegian Jewel entered the sound, it was our last cruise before the shut down.

We are sailing on the Celebrity Eclipse late October 22. Sydney then to New Zealand. First time to these countries. Looking at excursions as we get to the sounds, they are selling a pricy overnight land  trip during these three days we travel through Milford and dusky sound. If someone has taken this trip before, if you opt to stay on the ship will you be able to see enough of the fiords as we are traveling to make for an interesting trip? If anyone has taken the

overnight land option would be interested in hearing about that too. Thanks 

2 minutes ago, klong63119 said:

We are sailing on the Celebrity Eclipse late October 22. Sydney then to New Zealand. First time to these countries. Looking at excursions as we get to the sounds, they are selling a pricy overnight land  trip during these three days we travel through Milford and dusky sound. If someone has taken this trip before, if you opt to stay on the ship will you be able to see enough of the fiords as we are traveling to make for an interesting trip? If anyone has taken the

I haven't done the overland trip because I have travelled in NZ on a land trip, however I have heard good reports about the trip.

The three day trip is the only excursion in Fiordland, but it is a land trip, not a trip where you see more of the sounds. The ship-board travel in Fiordland is one day - an early morning entry into Milford and slowly sailing to near the end of the sound where the ship stops for the pax on the tour to disembark and for the ship's photographers to take photos of the ship from one of the tenders. The ship usually leaves by late morning to sail out of Milford Sound. Obviously the scenery if the same as earlier, but seen from a different perspective, probably as you have lunch After an hour or so sailing south (time for a quick nap), the ship enters Dusky Sound and Doubtful Sound etc. This is a 'loop' sailing into one Sound, then out through the other, through some lovely rugged country, but not as spectacular as Milford. The ship sails around the southern tip of the South Island, then to Port Chalmers (for Dunedin) where there is a full day.

If you take the three-day excursion, you will see quite a lot, ending with a drive-by tour of Dunedin before re-joining the ship. If this is your one trip to NZ, I suggest it could be worth taking the tour.

While everyone I know that did the overnight shorex from Milford to Port Chalmers via Queenstown (or reverse) has loved it. I have seen this area on a land trip as well and it is excellent scenery.

If you actually want to see more of the sounds, stay on the ship.

25 minutes ago, klong63119 said:

The only excursion I see is an overnight one between Milford Sound and Dunedin, or vice versa. Although I haven't done this excursion I have travelled through that area privately. It's beautiful countryside and Queenstown is a lovely place for an overnight stop.

However you will only see Milford Sound on that excursion, not any of the other sounds.

The transit of the sounds is one day, not three. We've done it three times on Celebrity. They do a running commentary through each sound so you do learn a lot about this beautiful part of NZ. For me the special part of this day is going through Dusky Sound as it is essentially only accessible by sea. Milford Sound is the most stunning but Dusky is pristine wilderness.

If you're very lucky, depending on who your captain is and the conditions of the day, the ship may be nosed into Stirling Falls then do a 360 right next to the sheer walls of the sound.

You can just see the bow of the ship in the lower right of this photo.

2069306306_2019-04-0518_13_44.thumb.jpg.1c0ce0c336a0b2d97e1066cd0bc74fb1.jpg

• Like 1

If this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip for you I would recommend the overland excursion, which has so much more to see and experience. It is expensive but from all reports I've read, is worth it. If there is a chance that you may someday return to NZ for a land tour, where you can fully explore the region, then go with the full Fiordland part of the cruise.

I have been fortunate, like others on this forum, to have seen the sounds quite a few times as well as having done land tours of north and south islands including a visit to Milford Sound. 

• 4 weeks later...