JamieLogical's March 19 Summit Sailing

JamieLogical

I took my COVID test at 12:45 and still have not received my results from Walgreens. This is by far the longest I have had to wait for results from them. I do have a back-up appointment scheduled for 4:30, if I don't have my results by the time I get off of work at 4:00.

39 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I took my COVID test at 12:45 and still have not received my results from Walgreens. This is by far the longest I have had to wait for results from them. I do have a back-up appointment scheduled for 4:30, if I don't have my results by the time I get off of work at 4:00.

I see they offer 2. Which one do you get? 

40 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Phew! Packing is done along with a whole bunch of other tasks around the house. I have used the "bundle packing" method for all of my trips, since discovering it. So, I think that's 5-6 trips so far. And still, every single time, I look at everything that needs to go in my suitcase and think to myself "there is NO WAY" this is all going to fit and then at the end, I have a huge sense of satisfaction and pride as my suitcase zips shut. Is this what it feels like to give birth to a beautiful, healthy baby?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Phew! Packing is done along with a whole bunch of other tasks around the house. I have used the "bundle packing" method for all of my trips, since discovering it. So, I think that's 5-6 trips so far. And still, every single time, I look at everything that needs to go in my suitcase and think to myself "there is NO WAY" this is all going to fit and then at the end, I have a huge sense of satisfaction and pride as my suitcase zips shut. Is this what it feels like to give birth to a beautiful, healthy baby?

Congrats on getting your packing done. Won't be long now.

Laura

I managed to sleep better than usual the night before a trip. I did wake up around 2:30 and was unable to fall back asleep until about 4:30, but still, that's not bad. Just have to tie up all my loose ends at work today, run the dishwasher and the Roomba on my lunch break, pack up the last few toiletries I needed up until the last minute, and do a final pass at straightening the house after work. My flight leaves at 6:28, so I plan to leave for the airport at 5:00.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

When you have time, can you tell us what bundle packing is? Always interested in a new way to pack!

5 minutes ago, NBliving said:

When you have time, can you tell us what bundle packing is? Always interested in a new way to pack!

It's a method of packing where you build a giant bundle out of your clothing that is exactly the same size as your suitcase and then you just lift the whole thing and drop it into your suitcase at the end. Here are some photos I took before one of my previous cruse.

Everything to pack laid out on my bed:

uS2nr3t8OLX30c9ug_BIA7MQKXkCktEeotSfdr7n

The completed bundle:

-dtfalvQ6tOUUE2tJxtpWQZQvFf2LMIb28E2_itr

My zipped up suitcase with the bundle inside:

8D3TTyCD2F08xtv3vrX_k6e_j0JmtUwpQI5m4sEn

Here is a link to my favorite video showing how to do it:

• Thanks 1

Here's a list of everything included in my bundle I built last night:

• Underwear (x10)
  • Socks (x10)
  • Strapless Bra
  • Bra (x2)
  • Camis (x9)
  • Linen Shirts (x4)
  • T-shirt (x2)
  • Moisture Wicking Shirt (x2)
  • Pajama Pants (x2)
  • Trail Pants (x1)
  • Dress Pants (x5)
  • Maxi Dresses (x2)
  • Sweaters (x2)
  • Slip Shorts (x1)
  • Boat Shoes
  • Swim Suit (x2)
  • Cover-up

On 3/4/2022 at 9:58 AM, JamieLogical said:

Two weeks from today I will be flying to Miami for my next sailing on the Summit, so now seems like as good a time as any to start this thread. I am undecided on whether to pay the difference for the "Premium" wifi so I can liveblog while on board. But either way, I will be taking notes each day onboard and posting them here, either live or once I get home.

I booked this sailing back in January using the Future Cruise deposit I had purchased onboard the Summit in November. The price was right with the solo rate being reasonable and, at the time, round trip flights to Miami were only $155. Of course, after much hemming and hawing, I ruined the cheap flights by deciding to make this a B2B with the 4-day March 24 sailing. That meant having to book a new return flight and by the time I did that, just the one way flight was $194.

This is the second time I have decided to turn a 5-day on the Summit into a 9-day after having already booked flights through Celebrity and have had to eat the cost of just booking a whole new return flight. Next time I book a short sailing, I am going to think long and hard about whether I'll be turning it into a B2B or not before booking flights!

For the first leg I was booked into room 6030, which is one of the Sweet Sixteen verandas on Deck 6 forward. I picked this specific room for its large balcony. For my second leg, the same room was unavailable, so I booked room 9173, which is an angled bump-out balcony. I wasn't concerned about noise from Oceanview Cafe, because on my last Summit sailing, I had been in an AQ right across from this room and noise had not been an issue. Fun fact: this will be the first time I have ever stayed in a port side stateroom!

Yesterday, I found out that my minimum bid to go from my veranda to an Aqua Class had been accepted. I payed $70 ($35x2), which works out to $14/day. My new room in an A2 on Deck 9 midship. Too bad 9175 was unavailable, as then I could have just moved right next door for my B2B.

So, here's the super weird thing about my bid. I check inventory on the whole ship every day. On Wednesday afternoon, there were 70 AQs available and 12 2Cs (my old category) available. Yesterday, after my bid was processed and even into this morning, there were 69 AQs available and 13 2Cs. Does this mean MY bid was the only bid that was processed? Why would they process my lone, minimum bid before any others?

Hi Jaime,

We're on the 4/7 B2B Summit sailing.  We're flying in 2 days early and I'm trying to figure out my best options for Covid testing.  Are you going to Walgreens at home or in Miami?   I think the Covid testing in Walgreens only accepts drive thru which is an issue for us since we won't have a car.  

Thanks

Sue

5 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Hi Jaime,

We're on the 4/7 B2B Summit sailing.  We're flying in 2 days early and I'm trying to figure out my best options for Covid testing.  Are you going to Walgreens at home or in Miami?   I think the Covid testing in Walgreens only accepts drive thru which is an issue for us since we won't have a car.  

Thanks

Sue

I did my Walgreens testing here in Rochester, NY. I don't fly to Miami until late tonight and sail tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

It's a method of packing where you build a giant bundle out of your clothing that is exactly the same size as your suitcase and then you just lift the whole thing and drop it into your suitcase at the end. 

Interesting concept.  Have you ever had Customs or TSA search your bags since doing this method?  I used to fly out of a very small outstation, where they literally opened up your checked bag, swabbed several spots in the bag, all while moving my neatly packed sections, completely messing up how everything sat in the bag. After a few mess making searches, I started using packing cubes instead of a similar method.    I may give it a try again for my trips in April b/c I am curious to see how well I would do with it. 

Have a great trip.  I'm on the Summit next month for a B2B. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Interesting concept.  Have you ever had Customs or TSA search your bags since doing this method?  I used to fly out of a very small outstation, where they literally opened up your checked bag, swabbed several spots in the bag, all while moving my neatly packed sections, completely messing up how everything sat in the bag. After a few mess making searches, I started using packing cubes instead of a similar method.    I may give it a try again for my trips in April b/c I am curious to see how well I would do with it. 

Have a great trip.  I'm on the Summit next month for a B2B. 

I have not, since the whole reason I pack this way is to fit everything into a carry-on sized bag. I would definitely be worried about doing this for a checked bag and having them tear the whole thing apart and not be able to fit everything back in the case once they did.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Here's a list of everything included in my bundle I built last night:

• Underwear (x10)
  • Socks (x10)
  • Strapless Bra
  • Bra (x2)
  • Camis (x9)
  • Linen Shirts (x4)
  • T-shirt (x2)
  • Moisture Wicking Shirt (x2)
  • Pajama Pants (x2)
  • Trail Pants (x1)
  • Dress Pants (x5)
  • Maxi Dresses (x2)
  • Sweaters (x2)
  • Slip Shorts (x1)
  • Boat Shoes
  • Swim Suit (x2)
  • Cover-up

What moisture wicking shirt do you have?

10 minutes ago, dgoz said:

It says in that video on bundling that it is a 2 person job. Do you find that to be true?

Nope, I've done it by myself every time. Though if you have an suitcase without any structure, you might need someone to hold it open for you.

So, I just got the second of two flight delay notices. They were both for my flight from Rochester to Atlanta. Initially, my flight was delayed by a half hour and shortly after that, I got a notice it was delayed by another half hour. So now I am down to a 45 minute connection in Atlanta, with one gate at Terminal A and the other at C. It's going to be very very tight, but I don't really have any other options. The only other flight left today between Rochester and Atlanta is even later than my current one. And my flight from Atlanta to Miami is the last one of the night. Really hope I don't end up spending the night in Atlanta!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

So, I just got the second of two flight delay notices. They were both for my flight from Rochester to Atlanta. Initially, my flight was delayed by a half hour and shortly after that, I got a notice it was delayed by another half hour. So now I am down to a 45 minute connection in Atlanta, with one gate at Terminal A and the other at C. It's going to be very very tight, but I don't really have any other options. The only other flight left today between Rochester and Atlanta is even later than my current one. And my flight from Atlanta to Miami is the last one of the night. Really hope I don't end up spending the night in Atlanta!

Best of luck with your flights. Hope everything comes off without a hitch!

You should try packing cubes.   

Initially I thought why add extra stuff to packing.   They really help to keep things organized, and do help condense the clothing.  Pull out a cube and for the most part you leave your clothing in it.  Unpacking is done.   

Your bundle may work for you but it seems like a lot of extra work undoing it, and then redoing it at the end of the cruise.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2