Are Canadians different?

Woody14

1 hour ago, zook50 said:

Her last flight, from London, was absolutely horrible:  the majority of passengers were out of their seats, dancing, singing, yelling, and drinking and eating continuously (no masks, of course).  Several people threw up, including the woman sitting beside my sister!!  When she expressed concern, she was laughed at or ridiculed.  Flight attendants said as long as they were eating and drinking, no restrictions were required.

Was that a regularly scheduled flight or a holiday charter? I only ask because that doesn't sound any worse than the infamous chartered flight from Montreal to Cancun on December 30, filled with partying Canadians, that made international headlines.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Was that a regularly scheduled flight or a holiday charter? I only ask because that doesn't sound any worse than the infamous chartered flight from Montreal to Cancun on December 30, filled with partying Canadians, that made international headlines.

My sister and I thought exactly the same thing as you - sounded just as chaotic!  It was a regularly scheduled flight with mostly British people, she guessed, based on the accents of the partying people?  Who knows for sure?  I'm just glad I wasn't on that flight.

4 hours ago, zook50 said:

On the way down through the midwest and south west States (and back), Americans stayed far away from us as they told us they'd been told that only masked people are infected or unvaxxed people.  Very convenient for us, so we said nothing.

That's an awesome midwest and southwest US travel tip! 👍🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zook50 said:

My sister and I thought exactly the same thing as you - sounded just as chaotic!  It was a regularly scheduled flight with mostly British people, she guessed, based on the accents of the partying people?  Who knows for sure?  I'm just glad I wasn't on that flight.

Yikes! That's not the answer I expected. Ah well, a flight she won't soon forget. 😇 

7 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Yikes! That's not the answer I expected. Ah well, a flight she won't soon forget. 😇 

Faro is not a major business center in Portugal. That traffic would be heading to Lisbon or Porto. 

The vast majority of people flying into Faro are going to be heading to a beach vacation.  Charter or not, it will have the save vibe. 

Yes, Faro is definitely a beach vacation destination, so not surprising about loud partiers on the plane!   It is consistently under 20 degrees daily right now, but my sister and husband are there for a few weeks, so they're looking forward to even warmer temps.  Right now, it's nice enough to go for long walks and sit outside with a coffee or a cocktail and a good book with the Mediterranean blue sky and sunshine overhead.  I'm so jealous.

18 hours ago, em-sk said:

Faro is not a major business center in Portugal. That traffic would be heading to Lisbon or Porto. 

The vast majority of people flying into Faro are going to be heading to a beach vacation.  Charter or not, it will have the save vibe. 

Yes. Good to avoid a flight of British “holidaymakers”!

On 3/7/2022 at 3:10 AM, iancal said:

That is very interesting and we agree.  We have traveled a fair amount.  More often that not we find ourselves speaking with Australians, trading travel tips.   Especially in Europe and SE Asia. 

Prior to covid we did  numerous snowbird trips to SE Asia with 3 weeks in Australia tacked on.  DW insists that if we were ever to immigrate that Australia would be our first choice.   Gold Coast probably.  The only problem....their car steering wheels are all on the wrong side.

Whereas for me it would be NZ first, probably Canada second. But never the Gold Coast, way too many tourists.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Probably dating myself but I remember in the 90s.  Flying TAP Air Portugal on the odd Toronto-Lisbon charters.  These flights were mostly Portuguese Canadians with kids going back to visit family.  They used the L1011 on those flights.

Portuguese hospitality dictated that you were asked if you wanted red or white with the inflight meal and by default were given two of those little bottles of red.  Obviously more was available if you were still thirsty. 

Those were noisy flights with all the kids.       

Today air travel has changed and the wine is just not as free flowing in economy.

Edited by em-sk

11 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Also good to avoid anywhere with British Football hooligans! 

And good to avoid anywhere with British 'Cuisine',  and avoid anywhere with British .... 😁

9 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Also good to avoid anywhere with British Football hooligans! 

And good to avoid anywhere with British 'Cuisine',  and avoid anywhere with British .... 😁

Lol. All my relatives are in Britain so I go willingly. They fall more under the stereotype of British “reserve” though.

I remember on one trip seeing a reality show on TV much like our border show, but about the airport shenanigans of the Holidaymakers. Pretty funny stuff.