Are Canadians different?

Woody14

1 hour ago, JillK said:

Mentally adding 30% to every purchase? 

At least…it pains me when a friend in the USA says come on a cruise with them & I send them the price I pay as a Canadian.  They’re shocked.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Woody14 said:

So what makes a Canadian different on a cruise from anyone else?

Asking a Canadian if we are different is a loaded question. Different from who or what? Maybe it would be better to ask non Canadians what makes us different...if anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Asking a Canadian if we are different is a loaded question. Different from who or what? Maybe it would be better to ask non Canadians what makes us different...if anything.

I’ve heard many unsolicited opinions mostly from American folks. The consensus seems to be that these people find Canadians to be polite and helpful. They seem to be comparing Canadian behaviour to American behaviour.   I have many American friends, mostly met through cruising, and a few relatives.  They are my friends, so they are also polite, friendly, helpful and enjoyable.  I think that there’s good people and not-so-good people everywhere, just hope the good always prevail.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well my question was inspired by your post on Why are we so boring???  I was just hoping to get people talking about something other than Covid.     Asking a non Canadian what makes us different is an easy question but as a Canadian what makes you think your different?

• Like 1

Actually I started that thread because of the insane number of questions about testing. Anyone looking at the Canadian page would think what an obsessed group about testing. We finally got our own board to discuss Canadian points of view about cruising and it was really nice for a while, we were all biding our time waiting for cruising to start. Finally cruising started and a few brave souls actually went cruising and some even posted their stories. Then the whole testing thing started, people trying to figure out how to get someone else to pay for the required tests " how or where can I get a free test?"

I understand wanting to save money and for many, including me the whole testing thing is a patent waste of money. What the Government is doing is undermining their own "get vaccinated" message by requiring tests. Dump the tests, require the vaccine...No vaccine no travel all stop.

• Like 7

Hopefully by this summer we can all get back to cruising with out all this testing. Covid is going to be around for a long time, like the seasonal flu & we'll have to live with it. So Bon Voyage fair winds & smooth seas. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

What the Government is doing is undermining their own "get vaccinated" message by requiring tests. Dump the tests, require the vaccine...No vaccine no travel all stop.

Be careful you don’t turn this into a pro-vaccine vs anti-vaccine thread. That’s worse than a ‘where do I get a test’ thread. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Canadians like to talk about weather, family, travel and avoid discussion of Health care and politics. Sports like curling, hockey vs football, soccer. Crown Royal not bourbon. Caesars not Bloody Mary's. Temperature when it's too cold to swim, wear shorts, need a sweater. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, catlet said:

Canadians like to talk about weather, family, travel and avoid discussion of Health care and politics. Sports like curling, hockey vs football, soccer. Crown Royal not bourbon. Caesars not Bloody Mary's. Temperature when it's too cold to swim, wear shorts, need a sweater. 

We also like maple syrup, and are offended by the imitation corn syrup.  

• Like 10

23 hours ago, Woody14 said:

So what makes a Canadian different on a cruise from anyone else?

Getting more excited than anybody else on a US-originating ship when it docks in Halifax, Saint John, Quebec City, Victoria, Vancouver....   and it feels so nice to be able to use Canadian money at a cruise port of call.  

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Like 9

Well, at the moment with the sinking dollar and the sky high price of gas (at least in BC $2.00.9/litre today and going up another 11 cents tomorrow) and high taxes we all look a little pinched.😉  But get beyond the pinched look and there are friendly and helpful people underneath who love to get to know people from other countries.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TeaBag said:

Well, at the moment with the sinking dollar and the sky high price of gas (at least in BC $2.00.9/litre today and going up another 11 cents tomorrow) and high taxes we all look a little pinched.😉  But get beyond the pinched look and there are friendly and helpful people underneath who love to get to know people from other countries.

Sinking dollar?  Against what currency and over what period of time?

6 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Getting more excited than anybody else on a US-originating ship when it docks in Halifax, Saint John, Quebec City, Victoria, Vancouver....   and it feels so nice to be able to use Canadian money at a cruise port of call.  

Not to mention Sydney, Charlottetown, St. John's, St. Anthony, Corner Brook, Red Bay, Havre-Saint-Pierre, Baie-Comeau and Saguenay. And others that I've overlooked. 😇

• Like 2

@catlet that could be a whole thread on its own - Canadians like...

Crown Royal not burbon

Caesars not Bloody Marys

Back bacon not ham

Canada Dry ginger ale not Schweppes

Poutine not fries and ketchup

Maple syrup not corn syrup

Edited by dawnvip
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

They’re more like Aussies than most other countries are.

That is very interesting and we agree.  We have traveled a fair amount.  More often that not we find ourselves speaking with Australians, trading travel tips.   Especially in Europe and SE Asia. 

Prior to covid we did  numerous snowbird trips to SE Asia with 3 weeks in Australia tacked on.  DW insists that if we were ever to immigrate that Australia would be our first choice.   Gold Coast probably.  The only problem....their car steering wheels are all on the wrong side.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

We just spent two months in Texas.  Most of our fellow island snowbirds were from all over the US.  There were few Canadians, probably because of distance for travel (36 driving hours for us) and travel restrictions.  We noticed a huge difference in the Americans and few Canadians there.  For the most part, the Americans were polite and respectful with us (more cautious, masked, distanced, etc.) Canadians, but a few laughed at us or were offended by our distancing,  and a couple were downright rude, purposefully coughing (unmasked) in our direction.  Very few Americans masked (and no one wore N95s), and most mingled closely indoors and out daily in resorts, stores, events, tourist attractions,  and restaurants.  On the way down through the midwest and south west States (and back), Americans stayed far away from us as they told us they'd been told that only masked people are infected or unvaxxed people.  Very convenient for us, so we said nothing.

As far as differences between Canadian travelers and those from other countries?  My sister just flew three days ago from Calgary to Toronto, Toronto to London, and then on to Faro, Portugal.  She was thrilled the first and second legs, as the planes were full of fully masked, polite, well-behaved, rule-respecting (mostly Canadians, IMHO?).  Her last flight, from London, was absolutely horrible:  the majority of passengers were out of their seats, dancing, singing, yelling, and drinking and eating continuously (no masks, of course).  Several people threw up, including the woman sitting beside my sister!!  When she expressed concern, she was laughed at or ridiculed.  Flight attendants said as long as they were eating and drinking, no restrictions were required.

And yes, I agree that maple syrup is our preferred choice as a condiment or for baking!!  My husband, however, does occasionally enjoy a really good bourbon...:)

• Like 1