Announcement coming Monday March 7 re: cruises out of Canada

bcwife76

21 minutes ago, mousefan73 said:

99! for a 2 dollar antigen test! *****... Ok I get they need to pay for somebody to proctor, but still 99!!

Be interesting to see what the cruise line going to do at Canadian Ports where, everybody needs to be tested prior to disembarking. 

11 hours ago, broberts said:

The writing is for a very broad audience. One shouldn't expect it to address a single reader's concerns.

That second sentence poorly worded! I meant that no one individual should expect only their situation addressed.

22 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

At this point in time, I'd expect that the negative person could drive home and the positive would have to stay behind at the quarantine hotel. If the positive individual left there would be a good chance of facing the fine.  I don't see them changing the rules for those that can drive home, if they already know they are positive before they step foot on land. Just my thoughts. 

Edit: it could change with time, but it's my interpretation as of now. 

That is ridiculus. I mean it's ins eveyone's best interest to get a postive person home if using own car vs. possible further spread in a hotel.

Just now, mousefan73 said:

That is ridiculus. I mean it's ins eveyone's best interest to get a postive person home if using own car vs. possible further spread in a hotel.

I don't think you are taking into account all factors in judging the (possible) policy ridiculous.

Presumably the hotel is housing more than one positive and has experience doing so. One could reasonably expect it to have policies & procedures in place to mitigate spread. 

What would be the cut-off distance for private automobile travel? Four hours, twelve hours, how about 72 hours?

How would one insure an infected person did not come into contact with non-infected people during the trip?

Is it acceptable to infect others traveling in the same vehicle? And how does one insure they do not infect others during the trip?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mousefan73 said:

I don’t disagree with agree with you.  It could be an obvious decision, but what if they drove from Alberta, Saskatchewan etc… Where is the line drawn to travel time/distance to get home and who draws it?  What if an American drove from Seattle, they could be home quicker than someone from Golden BC? Rules for one but not for all in this case won’t go well with those who can’t drive home and are stuck in quarantine.  I could rent a car in Vancouver and drive home to Ontario in 4 days.  Would this be allowable VS going to quarantine?

As Broberts said in post 102, “no one should expect only their situation addressed”.  Who gets the “Golden Ticket” when every positive case/situation for travelling home is different.  What if they change their plan to get home? Should there be a tribunal at the cruise port to hear these cases? (tongue in cheek comment)

The free pass is being negative and those positive have to wait, unless the rules change.  At least cruisers know the potential limitations now and can decide what they want to do.  As a Canadian, I knew in advance that it would be not as easy as cruises from the US.  

One can only hope that changes come through the cruise season as Covid wanes, but at least the rules are now established for hopefully the worst case situation.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

At this point in time, I'd expect that the negative person could drive home and the positive would have to stay behind at the quarantine hotel. If the positive individual left there would be a good chance of facing the fine.  I don't see them changing the rules for those that can drive home, if they already know they are positive before they step foot on land. Just my thoughts. 

Edit: it could change with time, but it's my interpretation as of now. 

Ignoring the fines which are discretionary, the current Canada border practice for positive land entries (since you can't board a plane with a positive test) is to send you home to quarantine if you have private transportation and a suitable destination (eg private accommodations, no vulnerable people, etc) or to send you to a designated quarantine facility if you do not meet those requirements (eg you arrive at the border on a Greyhound, or live in a dormitory, etc). Anyone travelling with the positive person may also be subject to the same quarantine requirements as the positive person themselves. 

For cruise ships, they will likely apply the same standard - if you test positive on arrival, have a private vehicle, and an appropriate site to quarantine, you go home. If you need to fly home or don't have suitable accommodations to quarantine in, you go to the cruise line's quarantine hotel instead.  

Edited by cmich068
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, broberts said:

That second sentence poorly worded! I meant that no one individual should expect only their situation addressed.

I understand your point. However, a point form check list is basically everything one needs to use as guidance. It should be a segregated point form for residents and non residents. Easy peasy.

1 hour ago, cmich068 said:

Ignoring the fines which are discretionary, the current Canada border practice for positive land entries (since you can't board a plane with a positive test) is to send you home to quarantine if you have private transportation and a suitable destination (eg private accommodations, no vulnerable people, etc) or to send you to a designated quarantine facility if you do not meet those requirements (eg you arrive at the border on a Greyhound, or live in a dormitory, etc). Anyone travelling with the positive person may also be subject to the same quarantine requirements as the positive person themselves. 

I don’t disagree with anything you have said at all. Makes sense. 

1 hour ago, cmich068 said:

For cruise ships, they will likely apply the same standard - if you test positive on arrival, have a private vehicle, and an appropriate site to quarantine, you go home. If you need to fly home or don't have suitable accommodations to quarantine in, you go to the cruise line's quarantine hotel instead.  

It will be interesting to see how positive cruise guests will be dealt with.  Only time will tell and what was announced a few days ago might change before the first ship ever arrives. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

It will be interesting to see how positive cruise guests will be dealt with.  Only time will tell and what was announced a few days ago might change before the first ship ever arrives. 

Can always count on that!

5 hours ago, cmich068 said:

This is the one issue that worries us the most about making final payment for our Can/NE cruise this spring. We live an hour's drive from the border, are retired, and can easily quarantine in our own home. Yet if a border agent decides to penalize us for daring to drive home to our own country with a positive test, we could be subject to that $5000 fine. Until there is no possibility of that happening, I don't think we'll be cruising.

Edited by Chrislynn55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1