Announcement coming Monday March 7 re: cruises out of Canada

bcwife76

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

Very disappointing, and not all all what I had anticipated. There appears to have been no effort made to meet the cruise lines or cruise passengers half way. For example, why not use the existing cruise standard of allowing antigen tests within two days instead of one prior to boarding. But the biggest question mark for me is whether cruise lines will be both willing and able to provide all crew and passengers the required tests aboard within the tight timeframes laid out by Alghabra.

We already have to be tested to embark on the cruise, and if sailing RT the US, we need a second test to re-enter Canada. So having to take two tests for a cruise RT Vancouver isn't going to bother Canadian or international cruisers. I agree, though, that the large US passenger base for Alaskan cruises will look to Seattle. Another PVSA exemption request is already underway, and today's announcement may result in increased support.

I don't think that this will actually be too much of an issue. For example, with a New England/Canada cruise out of Boston heading to Montreal, once a passenger has arrived at the first Canadian port of entry, the remainder of the cruise is in Canadian waters. Passengers do not have to re-enter Canada at subsequent ports, as they've not left Canada. Same thing with consecutive stops in Victoria and Vancouver.

You are not taking into account how and where the test is done for entry assuming there is a cruise day before reaching Canada. Plus you still require a test to get back into the states unless they are giving exemptions for cruiseships.

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Very disappointing, and not all all what I had anticipated. There appears to have been no effort made to meet the cruise lines or cruise passengers half way. For example, why not use the existing cruise standard of allowing antigen tests within two days instead of one prior to boarding. But the biggest question mark for me is whether cruise lines will be both willing and able to provide all crew and passengers the required tests aboard within the tight timeframes laid out by Alghabra.

We already have to be tested to embark on the cruise, and if sailing RT the US, we need a second test to re-enter Canada. So having to take two tests for a cruise RT Vancouver isn't going to bother Canadian or international cruisers. I agree, though, that the large US passenger base for Alaskan cruises will look to Seattle. Another PVSA exemption request is already underway, and today's announcement may result in increased support.

I don't think that this will actually be too much of an issue. For example, with a New England/Canada cruise out of Boston heading to Montreal, once a passenger has arrived at the first Canadian port of entry, the remainder of the cruise is in Canadian waters. Passengers do not have to re-enter Canada at subsequent ports, as they've not left Canada. Same thing with consecutive stops in Victoria and Vancouver.

What is there is a cruise day prior to reaching Canadian port stop. It forces al passengers to get a PCR at the previous port in the US. This is the most illogical thinking I could imagine. Canada once again over reaching the need. We either have a Covid issue or we do not. All of this is contrary to the trends worldwide. I do not have an issue with proof of vaccination or masks but this is just not well thought through. Two years to come up with this. Embarrassing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tottenhamfc said:

You are not taking into account how and where the test is done for entry assuming there is a cruise day before reaching Canada. Plus you still require a test to get back into the states unless they are giving exemptions for cruiseships.

Cruises returning to the US have never required passenger debarkation testing. And I have in fact taken into account the question of when and how tests are done.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Cruises returning to the US have never required passenger debarkation testing. And I have in fact taken into account the question of when and how tests are done.

So please explain. Everybody on here is confused except for you. Scenario is embark in US port. Stop in US port. Cruise day then port stop in Canadian port then disembark in Canada. Now as we know it cruiselines are not responsible for testing passengers. This would mean that every passenger would have to get off in the US port to take a PCR because there is a cruise day prior to a Canadian port stop. This is logistically impossible. Please give us your logical conclusion. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, lderochi said:

HAL says it’s a go. Can’t copy the link for some reason.  

C7AF092D-C58A-49AA-B9E6-4E2F80BF2F54.png

This is no issue for Vancouver, it is an issue for Victoria unless it is embark or disembark port. The same goes for East Coast ports. Maybe the cruiselines have agreed to test onboard fir this year. That to me is the only way this will become logistically feasible.

6 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

So please explain. Everybody on here is confused except for you. Scenario is embark in US port. Stop in US port. Cruise day then port stop in Canadian port then disembark in Canada. Now as we know it cruiselines are not responsible for testing passengers. This would mean that every passenger would have to get off in the US port to take a PCR because there is a cruise day prior to a Canadian port stop. This is logistically impossible. Please give us your logical conclusion. Thanks.

If you read the details at https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html, it states under Cruise Line Obligations 

• Provide testing facilities and tests for passengers to take either a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before disembarking a cruise ship or an antigen test no more than one day before the scheduled arrival.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, ByThePond said:

If you read the details at https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html, it states under Cruise Line Obligations 

• Provide testing facilities and tests for passengers to take either a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before disembarking a cruise ship or an antigen test no more than one day before the scheduled arrival.

Ok perfect. So they have placed the responsibility to the cruiselines. Thats all I needed to know. If they charge thats fine but its the logistics I was concerned about. Thanks for that. And dont forget the Arrive Canada App. That is compulsory also. 

Edited by tottenhamfc

If they handle it the same way that they have been handling passengers who require testing in order to return to their home country, then they will pick up the cost. It will be interesting to see if they still do that for an entire ship. But even if they don’t, and decide to add a mandatory testing fee, I don’t think it will be that much. Certainly not for a rapid antigen test. 

• Like 1

I'm still not clear what happens if you test positive prior to disembarking. Right now, if I am outside Canada and have a positive test, I can't return until the 11th day (unless I pay a fine). What if you are on a ship and test positive - are they obliged to keep you on for 11 days, or would you be dumped off in the closest non-Canadian port? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lderochi said:

If they handle it the same way that they have been handling passengers who require testing in order to return to their home country, then they will pick up the cost. It will be interesting to see if they still do that for an entire ship. But even if they don’t, and decide to add a mandatory testing fee, I don’t think it will be that much. Certainly not for a rapid antigen test. 

I agree. It is much simpler for them to administer on board regardless of charging. The bigger issue may be for non techy older people who are required to fill out the arrive Canada app online. Is it possible that they would allow a manual firm to be completed? Not for me but worried about some others who may be intimidated by the process.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

Your entire post is based on a false premise. Cruise ships in fact are now required to provide tests for passengers.

From the Transport Canada webpage entitled Preventing or limiting the spread of COVID-19 on cruise ships, published earlier this morning, the link to which was kindly provided by @d9704011 in post #14 above.

• Disembarking a cruise ship in Canada
    • The cruise line must report symptomatic or positive passengers and/or crew to Transport Canada, the Public Health Agency of Canada, the port, and the local/provincial public health unit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I'm still not clear what happens if you test positive prior to disembarking. Right now, if I am outside Canada and have a positive test, I can't return until the 11th day (unless I pay a fine). What if you are on a ship and test positive - are they obliged to keep you on for 11 days, or would you be dumped off in the closest non-Canadian port? 

I think if you are Canadian you would be allowed off  but quarantined at home. That seems the only way. They cannot stop you from returning to Canada by law.

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Your entire post is based on a false premise. Cruise ships in fact are now required to provide tests for passengers.

From the Transport Canada webpage entitled Preventing or limiting the spread of COVID-19 on cruise ships, published earlier this morning, the link to which was kindly provided by @d9704011 in post #14 above.

• Disembarking a cruise ship in Canada
    • The cruise line must report symptomatic or positive passengers and/or crew to Transport Canada, the Public Health Agency of Canada, the port, and the local/provincial public health unit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html

This was not known until it was just posted by another person. If you think that every passenger is going to read and understand the Gov of Can site you are dreaming. Tens of thousands of passengers are just asking for clarity. They are not asking to read an encyclopedia. I missed it after reading it twice because the inference was always leaning toward embarkation and disembarkation.

Edited by tottenhamfc

11 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Isn’t it a mandatory 14 day quarantine (non-Canadian here)? At least for now many cruise lines have picked up the cost, but I think it’s a reimbursement not a direct pay, with a per diem limit on food and necessities. There are a few threads from people that have gone through it. Soooo, bringing my work laptop just in case. 

Edited by lderochi

1 minute ago, tottenhamfc said:

This was not known until it was just posted by another person. If you think that every passenger is going to read and understand the Gov of Can site you are dreaming. Tens of thousands of passengers are just asking for clarity. They are not asking to read an encyclopedia.

Today's discussion is based on these updated TC regulations, so it would probably best to take the couple of minutes to read them so that you have the facts at hand before being critical of posts by other CC members. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

I think if you are Canadian you would be allowed off  but quarantined at home. That seems the only way. They cannot stop you from returning to Canada by law.

you would be subject to a big fine by Health Canada.  

3 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

So you are saying that you would have to stay on board for another 14 days?

If you test positive here is the snippet from today's announcement bolded by me:

Even with measures in place, COVID-19 remains a risk to cruise ship passengers. Passengers may develop COVID-19 symptoms or test positive during a cruise. If this occurs, a passenger can expect to be isolated on board the ship and not be able to take part in communal activities. At the end of their cruise, it will be the cruise line’s responsibility to arrange for COVID-19-safe accommodations for passenger isolation that meet the Quarantine, Isolation and Other Obligations Order requirements.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keata said:

If you test positive here is the snippet from today's announcement bolded by me:

Even with measures in place, COVID-19 remains a risk to cruise ship passengers. Passengers may develop COVID-19 symptoms or test positive during a cruise. If this occurs, a passenger can expect to be isolated on board the ship and not be able to take part in communal activities. At the end of their cruise, it will be the cruise line’s responsibility to arrange for COVID-19-safe accommodations for passenger isolation that meet the Quarantine, Isolation and Other Obligations Order requirements.

So in essance if you lived in the disembarkation port, the cruiseline would provide a ride home.

I suspect that in the eyes of GOC, stepping off a ship onto Canadian soil for the first time is considered disembarking. 

It's going to take a real effort to administer 3500+ antigen tests in less than 31 hours.  I'm not sure many cruise lines are going to be willing to undertake the task. Recall how quickly the lines moved arrival testing for Canadians and other foreigners off the ships departing US ports.

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

I suspect that in the eyes of GOC, stepping off a ship onto Canadian soil for the first time is considered disembarking. 

It's going to take a real effort to administer 3500+ antigen tests in less than 31 hours.  I'm not sure many cruise lines are going to be willing to undertake the task. Recall how quickly the lines moved arrival testing for Canadians and other foreigners off the ships departing US ports.

It is certainly easier than asking 3500 passengers to go get tested themselves. The cruiselines must have formed some part of the discussion. 

Edited by tottenhamfc

I'm okay with the protocols just announced. Just booked a cruise to Alaska from Vancouver

Departure is standard test for all pax. Return requires a test; same as air passengers. The additional requirement is register with ArrivCan before embarkation from Vancouver. No big deal.

Why are people excited by the port stops? Logically, no tests are required in American waters; as per their protocols. IMO, a test is only required for entry to Canadian waters. For example, there's a sea day before arriving in Victoria. Perfect for a test. 

Once you have stopped in Victoria and cleared the border, you shouldn't need another test for Vancouver. Though onward travellers may need another test if they cross a border.

The only annoyance left is the 'don't cruise' advisory. I would expect that to be cancelled sometime before early April.

We are GO!  👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tottenhamfc said:

So you are saying that you would have to stay on board for another 14 days?

i don't know what the cruise lines would do.  i do know, that if a Canadian resident tests positive, they cannot enter canada until day 11, after the test.