Announcement coming Monday March 7 re: cruises out of Canada

bcwife76

18 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

I'm okay with the protocols just announced. Just booked a cruise to Alaska from Vancouver

Departure is standard test for all pax. Return requires a test; same as air passengers. The additional requirement is register with ArrivCan before embarkation from Vancouver. No big deal.

Why are people excited by the port stops? Logically, no tests are required in American waters; as per their protocols. IMO, a test is only required for entry to Canadian waters. For example, there's a sea day before arriving in Victoria. Perfect for a test. 

Once you have stopped in Victoria and cleared the border, you shouldn't need another test for Vancouver. Though onward travellers may need another test if they cross a border.

The only annoyance left is the 'don't cruise' advisory. I would expect that to be cancelled sometime before early April.

We are GO!  👍

I agree with the rules. What creates the anxiety is the testing protocols. The cruiselines are somewhat silent on this and would make it less stressful if they clarified more clearly.

Edited by tottenhamfc
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, willing292 said:

i don't know what the cruise lines would do.  i do know, that if a Canadian resident tests positive, they cannot enter canada until day 11, after the test.

The 10 day only seems to apply to a positive molecular test. If a positive antigen test, it looks like you just need a negative antigen test. 

Antigen testing a ship with 3000 is not a big deal. Disney has been testing everyone at port and it moves very fast the whole process and these are PCR tests.

Devil is in the details. do antigen test count if self admin and "observed"? Like how my kids test 3x a week in school. first thing in the AM the kids sit at their desks and do it themselves. Teacher observes. Takes 15 minutes max ( that's including time for results to show).. so a cruiseline just needs to set up a system that folks go to a dining room and sit and test. QR sticker codes linked to room number and test number can document.  here in the EU, they mass test events in a few hours.. It is doable. use the cruise app to book slots... I for one would book the midnight slot hours before departure.3000 spread out over 16 hours or so easy peezy.

Edited by mousefan73
  • Like 3

We staying overnight in Toronto on June 9th, flying to Vancouver on June 10th. We will be staying overnight there and boarding our cruise on June 11th. We need a covid antigen test no more than 1 day before the cruise so we can board. Does anyone have any idea on where to get an antigen test in downtown Vancouver. We will be staying near Canada Place. Would it just be better to get a pcr test at home before we go? We are already getting anxious over this step, that needs to be done before we can board our cruise. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. At the same time with the way things are changing this could all change again.

ArriveCAN

Cruise travellers must use the ArriveCAN website to provide mandatory travel information before embarking on their cruise and after their entry into Canada to report on signs or symptoms of COVID-19. 

No sure why we have to have ArriveCan filled out before we embark on a cruise, I thought that was only done when coming back into Canada, thus the name ArriveCan.

Edited by Dave from Ont
added info.

8 minutes ago, Dave from Ont said:

At the same time with the way things are changing this could all change again.

There you go.... maybe check on all of this again in mid-May.  I figure the whole regime around testing for airplane and ship travel will change about 10 days after the end of provincial spring breaks if the situation is OK.

• Like 2

Aside from the Canadian cruises - an interested tidbit on Canadians cruising out of Canada.

It would appear the blanket "AVOID ALL CRUISE TRAVEL" is modified.

It now states that those not fully vaccinated should "AVOID ALL CRUISE TRAVEL",  but leaves it open for vaccinated Canadians to now cruise out-of-country and not have the Level 4 travel ban in place.  Meaning regular health insurance policies will now be valid.

I am waiting for my insurance rep and head of my travel agency for clarification - to see if I read this right.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Dave from Ont said:

We staying overnight in Toronto on June 9th, flying to Vancouver on June 10th. We will be staying overnight there and boarding our cruise on June 11th. We need a covid antigen test no more than 1 day before the cruise so we can board. Does anyone have any idea on where to get an antigen test in downtown Vancouver. We will be staying near Canada Place. Would it just be better to get a pcr test at home before we go? We are already getting anxious over this step, that needs to be done before we can board our cruise. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. At the same time with the way things are changing this could all change again.

ArriveCAN

Cruise travellers must use the ArriveCAN website to provide mandatory travel information before embarking on their cruise and after their entry into Canada to report on signs or symptoms of COVID-19. 

No sure why we have to have ArriveCan filled out before we embark on a cruise, I thought that was only done when coming back into Canada, thus the name ArriveCan.

The information relating to ArriveCAN conflicts with the actual operation of the existing app. Unless, of course, they plan on developing a specific cruise version of the app.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CruisingCanucksTwo said:

Aside from the Canadian cruises - an interested tidbit on Canadians cruising out of Canada.

It would appear the blanket "AVOID ALL CRUISE TRAVEL" is modified.

It now states that those not fully vaccinated should "AVOID ALL CRUISE TRAVEL",  but leaves it open for vaccinated Canadians to now cruise out-of-country and not have the Level 4 travel ban in place.  Meaning regular health insurance policies will now be valid.

I am waiting for my insurance rep and head of my travel agency for clarification - to see if I read this right.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The information relating to ArriveCAN conflicts with the actual operation of the existing app. Unless, of course, they plan on developing a specific cruise version of the app.

It actually specifies the ArriveCAN website. I wonder if the website will have a separate stream for cruise passengers.

10 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Wondering the same thing. If you have a stop in Victoria and disembarking in Vancouver, would the ship do the 72 hour test and that would cover both? Or would it be two separate tests? I'm planning on a coastal that ends on Vancouver with a stop in Victoria...seems like a lot of testing for 5 days, LOL

Looks like I'm planning to be on the same sailing, was about to book tonight and had one hiccup with work to resolve before we book.  I do wonder how NCL will handle this.  When I cruised in December they offered tests to everyone who needed one on board, but it was really just Canadians who needed them and likely just a hundred people, not everyone on the sailing, potentially twice.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

It actually specifies the ArriveCAN website. I wonder if the website will have a separate stream for cruise passengers.

Good catch. I'm not sure what the logic might be in abandoning the app in favour of accessing via the website, but it seems you might be right.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Good catch. I'm not sure what the logic might be in abandoning the app in favour of accessing via the website, but it seems you might be right.

I'm sure they will update the app to reflect the new info/requirements. Or they may mention the website specifically, since it would be very easy for Cruise Lines to allow access to the site without paid wifi (certain websites can be tagged for free access)

Edited by bortman23
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Website is required for advance cbsa reporting too - unavailable on the app 🙄

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave from Ont said:

ArriveCAN

Check out the switch health tests. You order them and they are delivered to your home -proctored tests. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave from Ont said:

Assuming the cruise line's test requirements for Canadian home ports will allow it, if you will have a smartphone or computer with you in Vancouver, I'd get a proctored rapid test kit from Switch Health or Medionerx or elsewhere and do the tests that way.

If you have those free rapid tests in the green box, you can also pay for a telehealth service to proctor those (Azova is officially affiliated with the manufacturer for that purpose, but others will do it as well). 

Unfortunately British Columbia is one of the more restrictive provinces in terms of where testing can be administered - this means you can't just go into a Shoppers or Walmart to get tested like you can in Ontario. 

The BC CDC has a list of companies that offer testing for travel purposes, but I can't personally vouch for any of them: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/testing/where-to-get-a-covid-19-test-in-bc

Edited by cmich068
  • Thanks 1

We live in the Niagara region so we have decided to just go ahead and get the PCR test here before we leave for Vancouver. It's good for 72 hours so that will cover us for our travel time and boarding. We do have our iPads with us but we just don't want to be messing around in a hotel room doing a proctored test. Besides as I mentioned before the rules could change yet again.

20 hours ago, ByThePond said:

The 10 day only seems to apply to a positive molecular test. If a positive antigen test, it looks like you just need a negative antigen test. 

Yes, you can travel as soon as you test negative, and it's obviously much quicker to test negative on an antigen than on a molecular/pcr. 

30 minutes ago, Dave from Ont said:

We live in the Niagara region so we have decided to just go ahead and get the PCR test here before we leave for Vancouver. It's good for 72 hours so that will cover us for our travel time and boarding. We do have our iPads with us but we just don't want to be messing around in a hotel room doing a proctored test. Besides as I mentioned before the rules could change yet again.

I would just make sure that the cruise line will be accepting 72 hour PCRs before you make arrangements for that, but sounds like a stress free option. If you don't have a place to get them done already, Medionerx has a location in St Catharines that does them for $85 each. 

In the site  travel.gc.ca. Modified 2022-03-07, under the heading Mandatory Isolation…it says……’only Canadian citizens, permanent residents, persons registered under the Indian Act and protected persons (refugees) , may enter Canada with symptoms or a current positive test result’.   It then goes on to describe isolation conditions, etc. no fines are mentioned. Fines are mentioned elsewhere for false documents or for not following the isolation rules. 
i guess they’re referring to folks who drive to the border because one cannot fly with a positive test result.  I’m not sure about the rules for trains, buses or other forms of public transportation.  
My point is that positive testing Covid 19 Canadians do not pay a fine to enter Canada…but you do have to follow the isolation rules.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

In the site  travel.gc.ca. Modified 2022-03-07, under the heading Mandatory Isolation…it says……’only Canadian citizens, permanent residents, persons registered under the Indian Act and protected persons (refugees) , may enter Canada with symptoms or a current positive test result’.   It then goes on to describe isolation conditions, etc. no fines are mentioned. Fines are mentioned elsewhere for false documents or for not following the isolation rules. 
i guess they’re referring to folks who drive to the border because one cannot fly with a positive test result.  I’m not sure about the rules for trains, buses or other forms of public transportation.  
My point is that positive testing Covid 19 Canadians do not pay a fine to enter Canada…but you do have to follow the isolation rules.  

As a note, it says the below as well (under the Positive results heading)

Positive results on your pre-entry test

Canadians: To avoid being fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges), wait to enter Canada at least 10 calendar days after your positive molecular test result. If travelling by air, you’ll be denied boarding. Counting starts the day following the day of testing.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

I guess the thing we have to do is just keep up with every change to the rules! That is definitely a change - I obsessed over every deal for my trip two weeks ago and the rule was most definitely that you could not enter Canada until day 11 after a positive result BUT if you did enter as a Canadian/resident/etc you could be subject to a fine of up to $5000. I'm glad this has changed - no issue to follow isolation rules but I want to do it at home, not in another country. Thanks for pointing this out!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

I guess the thing we have to do is just keep up with every change to the rules! That is definitely a change - I obsessed over every deal for my trip two weeks ago and the rule was most definitely that you could not enter Canada until day 11 after a positive result BUT if you did enter as a Canadian/resident/etc you could be subject to a fine of up to $5000. I'm glad this has changed - no issue to follow isolation rules but I want to do it at home, not in another country. Thanks for pointing this out!

This is a positive step for Canadians. 

1 hour ago, cmich068 said:

I would just make sure that the cruise line will be accepting 72 hour PCRs before you make arrangements for that, but sounds like a stress free option. If you don't have a place to get them done already, Medionerx has a location in St Catharines that does them for $85 each. 

Passenger obligations

• Pre-boarding a cruise ship
    • Passengers must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before boarding a cruise ship or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled departure.

The quote above is from the newly released rules on Monday for passengers boarding a cruise ship in Canada.

Thanks for the tip on Medionerx in St, Catharines

Edited by Dave from Ont
Add a line.