Just been downgraded from booked and allocated cabin!!!

Fozzie100

9 hours ago, Danamis said:

They were next to each other John. That's why we can't understand it. If they were to be isolation cabins why leave us next to them?

Can I ask if you selected 'No upgrade' on your bookings?

Avril

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Lots of changes due to world events but insignificant to what we are seeing on the news so we should not be complaining really.  

People have possibly spent many hours choosing the cabin that they have booked and are entitled to complain if they are not happy.  If someone's cabin is going to be used as an isolation cabin then they should be informed well before sailing and given the option of an immediate full cash refund because they have purchased a cruise that can no longer be supplied.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

People have possibly spent many hours choosing the cabin that they have booked and are entitled to complain if they are not happy.  If someone's cabin is going to be used as an isolation cabin then they should be informed well before sailing and given the option of an immediate full cash refund because they have purchased a cruise that can no longer be supplied.

Totally agree - we know because of CC that our cabin is being used as an isolation cabin as are most aft cabins. I just want to know where I stand if they tell me (after full payment) that they want to move us. It may seem silly to worry so far out but we spend a lot of time researching our cabins etc because we know what we want. (Having had a bad experience on Ventura - D114 - we also know what we don't want!)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

Totally agree - we know because of CC that our cabin is being used as an isolation cabin as are most aft cabins. I just want to know where I stand if they tell me (after full payment) that they want to move us. It may seem silly to worry so far out but we spend a lot of time researching our cabins etc because we know what we want. (Having had a bad experience on Ventura - D114 - we also know what we don't want!)

I agree with you.  We book early and select because we know where we like to be and while cabin position is not an important factor for some people it is for us.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Logic would think that. Sadly P and O currently seem to exist in a parallel universe whereby you have to do what they dictate or you can have 10% of the many thousands of pounds you have given them back. The world has gone mad.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pippa04 said:

Logic would think that. Sadly P and O currently seem to exist in a parallel universe whereby you have to do what they dictate or you can have 10% of the many thousands of pounds you have given them back. The world has gone mad.

Have you not considered this is just something that is in the T&C's.  Always well worth reading them when a booking is made.

I do not see why these cancellations have been left so long though, I am sure they could give some indication that this is a real risk at an earlier stage IMO.  I wonder if cabins in the isolation areas have still been on sale.  How companies deal with this will be remembered by their customers though, it is understandable if something happens to a cabin at a late stage, which is a different matter entirely.

Edited by tring
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, tring said:

Have you not considered this is just something that is in the T&C's.  Always well worth reading them when a booking is made.

Perhaps I'm a little naïve but in my mind a change of cabin after you have paid extra to choose one and ticked a box saying that you don't wish to be upgraded/moved from it would count as a "significant alteration to your package" and therefore the client would be afforded the courtesy of a choice of how they wanted to proceed.  That's what I get from the T and C's.

Principles, good manners, good business practice are a different matter.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Pippa04 said:

Perhaps I'm a little naïve but in my mind a change of cabin after you have paid extra to choose one and ticked a box saying that you don't wish to be upgraded/moved from it would count as a "significant alteration to your package" and therefore the client would be afforded the courtesy of a choice of how they wanted to proceed.  That's what I get from the T and C's.

Principles, good manners, good business practice are a different matter.

Certainly worth arguing about, especially at such a late stage.  As I said in my previous post though, it is something their customers will remember.  Your comment on good business practice is spot on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tring said:

Certainly worth arguing about, especially at such a late stage.  As I said in my previous post though, it is something their customers will remember.  Your comment on good business practice is spot on.

I agree, customers will remember but are the cruise companies really bothered.  We will not be happy if they move us to an area of the ship that we would not have booked but we will go on the cruise rather than lose a lot of money but we will cancel the other cruises that we currently have booked even though we will lose the deposits.  Let's face it Carnival may be happy to get rid of the older more traditional passengers in favour of younger passengers who are more likely to spend more on board.  We have done most of the cruises offered out of Southampton, some of them several times and if we don't go again we will simply put our money into holidays in the UK which we haven't done much in the last 20 or so years.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Presto2 said:

We’ve just booked on Azura for October on a Saver fare and D114 is in the area I’m expecting to be allocated. I understand A & V are sister ships; would you mind saying what was so bad about it?

… or am I better off not knowing?! 

21 minutes ago, Malibustacey79 said:

We’ve just booked on Azura for October on a Saver fare and D114 is in the area I’m expecting to be allocated. I understand A & V are sister ships; would you mind saying what was so bad about it?

… or am I better off not knowing?! 

Off to work - will fill you in later. 

Right above the smoking vent from the crew's smoking area for one and the wind blows a gale - hated it - sorry

2 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Off to work - will fill you in later. 

Right above the smoking vent from the crew's smoking area for one and the wind blows a gale - hated it - sorry

No worries - all info welcome, this is our first (and much debated) P&O cruise so the more info the better! 

2 hours ago, Malibustacey79 said:

How do you know the area your cabin will be allocated? 

We have always chosen our cabin locations, but events over this is another reason not to sail with P&O if covid restrictions are still.in place.  Strange how other companies have not been selling cabins in their isolation areas but that is too difficult for P&O.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tring said:

Is it not the case with saver fares that there are actually different fares based on an area of the ship you select, ie, forward, mid forward, middle etc.  Certainly on a lot of the P&O cruises I've been looking at that is the case and there can be as much as £300 difference based on your area of choice.

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Is it not the case with saver fares that there are actually different fares based on an area of the ship you select, ie, forward, mid forward, middle etc.  Certainly on a lot of the P&O cruises I've been looking at that is the case and there can be as much as £300 difference based on your area of choice.

Ok, we have never looked at bookings for saver fares.  I had assumed that a price range would equate just to a cabin grade and cabins for each individual grades are usually spread around a number of areas on a number of decks (e.g. mid fore, plus mid aft on many decks. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tring said:

Ok, we have never looked at bookings for saver fares.  I had assumed that a price range would equate just to a cabin grade and cabins for each individual grades are usually spread around a number of areas on a number of decks (e.g. mid fore, plus mid aft on many decks. 

Yes you can choose an area for an early saver which means that depending on the grade  you pick and the ship, you can see what you are likely to get. 

I tend to look at what the worst possible allocation would be in a grade (and the next one up) and see if I could live with it. So the top end of deluxe cabin pricing is a good saver bet on some ships as the chances of being moved up to a mini suite is slim and a bonus if you are (but not on Iona!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Can I ask if you selected 'No upgrade' on your bookings?

Avril

Yes we all did. They acknowledged that in the emails to our family. Apparently their Terms and Conditions cover everything...

13 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I agree with you.  We book early and select because we know where we like to be and while cabin position is not an important factor for some people it is for us.

We book early and select because Aurora has very few balcony cabins with shower only, as I can no longer clamber over the high sided bath to have a shower.  If we were moved to a different cabin with shower over the bath we would have to cancel. That's the reason I always tick the 'No upgrade' box. Our cruise isn't until 2023, and hope things will be better by then becuse we are mid aft, C deck.

Avril

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Exactly the same here, and we’re extraordinarily picky. Just 4 cabins that we’d accept on Ventura and Azura, and we’ve always booked on the first day to get one. I’d be furious if it changed.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tring said:

Firstly - I have already typed this out once and was sure I submitted it…so apologies if anyone is seeing this duplicated, or if I have mistakenly posted it somewhere else!!

To answer; we have booked Early Saver Fare in a Deluxe Balcony, so I’m assuming we will be allocated in one of the less ‘desirable’ ones.

My husband completed the booking (first time for everything) and agreed to the possible upgrade section. I thought nothing of it as assumed even if suites were available (they’re not currently) we wouldn’t be first in line for one being on Saver fare. Reading this thread though, I just hope we don’t get ‘upgraded’ to something not as nice!

We’re pretty easy pleased TBH so I’m not too worried about the cabin location anyway. I only booked the deluxe as it was £100 more than the standard balcony so seemed a good deal for more space. I’m more concerned with the drinks package, but I think I’ve made my peace with that for now!!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Malibustacey79 said:

Firstly - I have already typed this out once and was sure I submitted it…so apologies if anyone is seeing this duplicated, or if I have mistakenly posted it somewhere else!!

To answer; we have booked Early Saver Fare in a Deluxe Balcony, so I’m assuming we will be allocated in one of the less ‘desirable’ ones.

My husband completed the booking (first time for everything) and agreed to the possible upgrade section. I thought nothing of it as assumed even if suites were available (they’re not currently) we wouldn’t be first in line for one being on Saver fare. Reading this thread though, I just hope we don’t get ‘upgraded’ to something not as nice!

We’re pretty easy pleased TBH so I’m not too worried about the cabin location anyway. I only booked the deluxe as it was £100 more than the standard balcony so seemed a good deal for more space. I’m more concerned with the drinks package, but I think I’ve made my peace with that for now!!

Thank you for the thorough and very informative answer.  I have lost a couple of long posts which did not post over the last few days, which is highly annoying, though must admit sometimes I will type a long post in word, then copy and paste.  I think the system did not take my posts because of the time it took to post them (I wandered off for a short while during compilation of both posts). My other non post experiences have been when using my phone, which I have always found difficult to control.

With a couple of other answers to my question I have learned something that I did not know about previously.

Going off topic a bit but certainly on P&O Administration, I've just received an email apologising for the delay in answering my emails and saying it's now with the legal department! I've nothing outstanding with P&O except the correspondence on insurance issues  so goodness knows who this is really intended for.  I'm awaiting a reply to my reply so to speak but my email has been responded to that I'll here in 28 days.

Hope whoever's waiting for their issue to be resolved isn't in dire straits.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Lots of changes due to world events but insignificant to what we are seeing on the news so we should not be complaining really.  

That argument does not work for me.  There are always things which are worse going on in the world.  The only difference at the moment is that the current activity is closer to home.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Going off topic a bit but certainly on P&O Administration, I've just received an email apologising for the delay in answering my emails and saying it's now with the legal department! I've nothing outstanding with P&O except the correspondence on insurance issues  so goodness knows who this is really intended for.  I'm awaiting a reply to my reply so to speak but my email has been responded to that I'll here in 28 days.

Hope whoever's waiting for their issue to be resolved isn't in dire straits.

I had the same reply to my question about quarantine ashore.

It seems strange as it implied that I had an issue about something that had occurred but it was just the same question that you were asking, i.e. clarity regarding negative testing.close contacts

Edited by bee-ess

32 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

I had the same reply to my question about quarantine ashore.

It seems strange as it implied that I had an issue about something that had occurred but it was just the same question that you were asking, i.e. clarity regarding negative testing.close contacts

Was this recently or did the "Legal Department" actually respond?  I'm astonished if this is really the intention to move a perfectly reasonable request up to lawyers.