Summer 2024

bee-ess

Just now, wowzz said:

I wouldn't say that. 

P&O have history of selling cruises for a ship right up until the day they announce it is for sale.

The only saving grace at the moment, is that I imagine the price for second hand cruise ships is pretty weak, so P&O will have trouble getting rid of them.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I wouldn't say that. 

P&O have history of selling cruises for a ship right up until the day they announce it is for sale.

The only saving grace at the moment, is that I imagine the price for second hand cruise ships is pretty weak, so P&O will have trouble getting rid of them.

Would be a shame. Do you think they would make another ship or ships adults only if either were sold ?

Adults only seems to be be becoming rarer. Fred have dropped it.

Brittania maybe ?

1 minute ago, paulatsea said:

Would be a shame. Do you think they would make another ship or ships adults only if either were sold ?

Brittania maybe ?

Personally I can't imagine it. Is there enough demand for an adult only ship of that size ? 

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Personally I can't imagine it. Is there enough demand for an adult only ship of that size ? 

Virgin I think do adults only but not exclusively - so maybe they could have certain itineraries which are a/o.

There is no need to create more adult only ships, not with their current market direction.

The last two will hold out and then they will be gone. 

Also no plan for Aurora or Arcadia to exit in next few years.

Unless someone offers silly money compared to the ship value (think Oriana).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

To a certain extent I agree. But booking 30 months ahead seems a bit of a push to me.

I agree entirely. It's getting silly. I suspect that P&O are trying to bounce people into booking early before they see what the opposition are offering. Many companies have only just issued their 2023 summer programme, and some like Saga are yet to do so.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I agree entirely. It's getting silly. I suspect that P&O are trying to bounce people into booking early before they see what the opposition are offering. Many companies have only just issued their 2023 summer programme, and some like Saga are yet to do so.

You can find Saga's 2023 itineraries in their thread here on cc.

8 hours ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

2024 Deployment is this:

Arvia from Southampton 14-night cruises to Western Med.

Iona from Southamption 7-night cruises to the Norwegian Fjords.

Britannia from Southampton 7 to 14-night cruises to Norwegian Fjords, Baltics & some cruises to Western Med.

Azura from Valletta 7-night fly cruises to Central and Eastern Med.

Ventura from Southampton 7 to 14-night cruises to Spain & France and to Canary Islands.

Arcadia from Southampton long cruises to the Baltics, Norwegian Fjords and Med.

Aurora from Southampton long cruises to the Baltics, Norwegian Fjords, Central Med and Canada/New England.

Wow, Arvia isn't doing anything less than 14 nights?

7 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Brittania maybe ?

We have travelled with Fred quite a bit over the last 12  years (about 300 nights in total) and he has never allocated any cruises as specifically child free during that time.  Mind you, we have never seen a child on any of his ships either - not Fred's normal passenger target at all.  Most passengers are over fifty I would say, though a younger average on shorter cruises.

About 4 or 5  years back, he did offer a "Little Skipper's Club" for a few cruises in the school holidays, but it was literally just for part the summer school holidays (over about a month and I think, just on one ship, for one or two summers).  They were very run of the mill cruises as well - not at all like his usual itineraries.  No specific child facilities on the ships either.  I did hear that there was a few days on one cruise last autumn when there were a number of members of the Olsen family on one of the newly aquired ships though and apparently that group included some children, which passengers were very surprised about.  We were on the cruise after that and a member of staff mentioned it as something he had never known before. 

You are probably thinking about CMV as they did allocate certain cruises as child free.  If I remember correctly, that included most of the cruises on Magellan, and possibly Marco Polo as well (but not too sure on that one).  I think Saga insist on over 50's too.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisefan2012 said:

so just copy and paste from Arcadia Iceland 2022 / 2023 to 2024 ?!...............

Arcadia - Skjolden / Alesund / Akureyri / Isafjordur / Reykjavik Reykjavik / Belfast ?.

Yeah this Arcadia - Skjolden / Alesund / Akureyri / Isafjordur / Grundarfjordur/ Reykjavik Reykjavik / Belfast on 9 June 2024.

5 hours ago, tring said:

We have travelled with Fred quite a bit over the last 12  years (about 300 nights in total) and he has never allocated any cruises as specifically child free during that time.  Mind you, we have never seen a child on any of his ships either - not Fred's normal passenger target at all.  Most passengers are over fifty I would say, though a younger average on shorter cruises.

About 4 or 5  years back, he did offer a "Little Skipper's Club" for a few cruises in the school holidays, but it was literally just for part the summer school holidays (over about a month and I think, just on one ship, for one or two summers).  They were very run of the mill cruises as well - not at all like his usual itineraries.  No specific child facilities on the ships either.  I did hear that there was a few days on one cruise last autumn when there were a number of members of the Olsen family on one of the newly aquired ships though and apparently that group included some children, which passengers were very surprised about.  We were on the cruise after that and a member of staff mentioned it as something he had never known before. 

You are probably thinking about CMV as they did allocate certain cruises as child free.  If I remember correctly, that included most of the cruises on Magellan, and possibly Marco Polo as well (but not too sure on that one).  I think Saga insist on over 50's too.

Tring - wrong ! many Fred’s have been specifically “adults only”  - we have been on about Fred about 8 times exclusively adults only.
There used to be several  every year that were specifically adults only but not on the same ship each time - it varied - we have been on all 4 of the old ships - each time adults only (that’s the only cruise we will do).

I did write and ask about this a few years ago when it stopped but the only answer I got was that if we do any more adults only ones in future it will specify this on the brochure !

you have almost certainly been on some without realising - hence zero children,

He started doing them 2016 - here is a link from the time https://media.fredolsencruises.com/pressreleases/take-an-adult-only-holiday-with-fred-olsen-cruise-lines-1386964

Edited by paulatsea
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Tring - wrong ! many Fred’s have been specifically “adults only”  - we have been on about Fred about 8 times exclusively adults only.
There used to be several  every year that were specifically adults only but not on the same ship each time - it varied - we have been on all 4 of the old ships - each time adults only (that’s the only cruise we will do).

I did write and ask about this a few years ago when it stopped but the only answer I got was that if we do any more adults only ones in future it will specify this on the brochure !

you have almost certainly been on some without realising - hence zero children,

He started doing them 2016 - here is a link from the time https://media.fredolsencruises.com/pressreleases/take-an-adult-only-holiday-with-fred-olsen-cruise-lines-1386964

In recent years, we've also been on several Fred Olsen Adult Only cruises as well. 

These used to be advertised big-time. Fred's Adult only cruises in 2016/2017...

https://www.worldofcruising.co.uk/cruise-news/fred-olsen-reveals-plans-for-20-adults-only-cruises-in-20162017

We've also noticed that Fred has a number of adult-only cruises planned for 2023/2024. It's necessary to search for them the net rather than just browse the brochure.

Again... there's at least one on each of his four ships.

Edited by twotravellersLondon

15 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

In recent years, we've also been on several Fred Olsen Adult Only cruises as well. 

These used to be advertised big-time. Fred's Adult only cruises in 2016/2017...

https://www.worldofcruising.co.uk/cruise-news/fred-olsen-reveals-plans-for-20-adults-only-cruises-in-20162017

We've also noticed that Fred has a number of adult-only cruises planned for 2023/2024. It's necessary to search for them the net rather than just browse the brochure.

Again... there's at least one on each of his four ships.

Hi I - didn’t know that - which ones are adult only ? Do you have a link ? Great news.

38 minutes ago, tring said:

OK I stand corrected, perhaps not noticed if it was just the odd cruise and we just go by the main brochure.  That was the time that "The Little Skippers Club" appeared, so perhaps all part of the same marketing ploy.  That was the era that we did most of our Fred cruises along with the three for two offers, though we do not travel in Scottish or English school holidays either, though I can see it can be difficult for those who have to do that.

I am not convinced that is currently a valid article for all those cruises - possibly been changed as I looked a few of those cruises on Fred's website and no mention of adult only on the blurbs.  Though would perhaps be difficult for children to satisfy Fred's vaccine policy at present.  I went into the booking system for the Christmas markets for next Dec (2nd Dec) and the system quite happily let me progress with a 3 year old child - even offered me a child's drinks package.  By contrast the Monaco Grand Prix cruise for May this year came up with this flash and would not even let me choose a room grade, though again no mention on the blurb:-

"First Child

As this cruise has more than 72 concurrent hours at sea, children aged between 2-11 are not permitted to sail.

Due to size limitations of our ships' medical facilities, compared to those ashore, we have made this decision to ensure we can provide necessary care and assistance when required whilst at sea, with the safety of all guests on board our utmost priority.

We apologise for any disappointment or inconvenience this may cause."

That may explain why they have included some long cruises, such as the 25 night Corinth canal, a full world cruise and a 78 night South America, which I do not see anyone wanting to take a child on.  We have never seen any children on a Fred cruise, though as I mentioned earlier, we do not cruise in school holidays.

Hi Tring - yes I checked that as well and also only saw the over 11 rule for 72 hours or more at  sea and no mention of adults only.

I have emailed Fred to check anyway.

On their website when they still did adults only it was actually one of the cruise search filters - but that disappeared a few years ago.

best 

Paul

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Hi Tring - yes I checked that as well and also only saw the over 11 rule for 72 hours or more at  sea and no mention of adults only.

I have emailed Fred to check anyway.

On their website when they still did adults only it was actually one of the cruise search filters - but that disappeared a few years ago.

best 

Paul

OK, we were likely well booked up at that time, so I was not looking to see what is on offer. We rarely booked offer prices then as the 3 for 2 prices were far better, so booked ahead.  We are great believers in choosing our cabin number as well.

I really think the only time you may have a problem could be a school holiday cruise, but remember Scottish holidays are different to English ones.  Also covid restrictions apply to everyone, no child exemptions, though could change.

Fred has been answering emails very promptly in recent months (often the se day) and you will have an answer in writing then.

Edited by tring