Summer 2024

bee-ess

4 minutes ago, tring said:

OK, we were likely well booked up at that time, so I was not looking to see what is on offer. We rarely booked offer prices then as the 3 for 2 prices were far better, so booked ahead.  We are great believers in choosing our cabin number as well.

I really think the only time you may have a problem could be a school holiday cruise, but remember Scottish holidays are different to English ones.  Also covid restrictions apply to everyone, no child exemptions, though could change.

Thanks - have done this on other lines and very few children - but they ended up next to us and were noisy ! I’m not going to risk it .

• Like 1

My thoughts on this topic:

I'm in my early years of retirement, so dates are not really an issue for me but even I baulk at thinking of booking 2 years or more ahead.

Surely many of those who are still working can't choose their holiday dates this far ahead?

Itineraries? Boring, boring, boring. Why can they not find some new itineraries at least for the two smaller ships.

As someone who only chooses to cruise on the two smaller ships, whilst I put every faith in Molecrochip's knowledge and experience of P&O, I am far from convinced that both Aurora and Arcadia will be around all through 2024 - even if that is the current plan.

As a solo P&O cruiser, I am always torn at launch of a new season. It is almost always the best price - especially for Aurora and Arcadia with fewer cabins to sell - but I really don't like booking this far ahead.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

A search on the well known newspaper selling site returned 128 cruises for Fred if you used the adult only option if it helps.

Perhaps they have just listed Fred as a child free option since that is basically his target market and is who sails on his ships most of the time, albeit there could, in theory, be a child or two on the ship.

42 minutes ago, Britboys said:

As someone who only chooses to cruise on the two smaller ships, whilst I put every faith in Molecrochip's knowledge and experience of P&O, I am far from convinced that both Aurora and Arcadia will be around all through 2024 - even if that is the current plan.

As a solo P&O cruiser, I am always torn at launch of a new season. It is almost always the best price - especially for Aurora and Arcadia with fewer cabins to sell - but I really don't like booking this far ahead.

I too am not convinced about Aurora and Arcadia being around that long.  One thing Molecrochips post did confirm though is that P&O certainly do have a direction of travel regards their target market and us oldies will not be in it much longer.  Their prices are really good though,so for someitineraries are worth using IMO.  For instance the longer (16 night) Baltic cruises have a lot in them and will be even better without SPB IMO.  The Canada/US Eastern Seaboard is a good itinerary as well - we los tone of those through covid and have re booked for Sept 2023, but with a "hopefully" mentality, whilst half expecting the ship to not be around then.  We would have gone for 2022, but felt it was a bit too risky, because of the covid pandemic and would be a great shame to have that itinerary spoilt with Isolation.  The St Lawrence September cruises are also good, but we have done that with another cruise line.  We were poised to book an around South America before covid struck, but do not see that being worthwhile for a couple of years yet and age is gaining on us, so we will see.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

We have 2 moved cruises in 2023 and I have to say I have no interest in booking any more.  I think our cruising days are over.  Lost interest.

That's a shame Jean as you normally really enjoy your cruises. Maybe you'll get the taste again in 2023. I do kind of know what you mean though. Whilst I was very sad to lose the cruises I booked, I can't say I have actually missed them. Maybe I'll feel differently after my Aurora cruise later this year 🤞🏻

• Like 1

Aurora has just had a significant wet dock exercise, and Arcadia today finished its dry dock. Therefore I would expect 3-4 years for each before any movement.... unless someone offers crazy money (I say this as this did happen to both Adonia and Oriana).

At the moment, I don't believe that P&O will want to reduce capacity beyond what they have including Arvia. P&O currently have no further ships on order beyond Arvia.

If I could predict a scenario where Aurora or Arcadia exited, then it could be as follows: Princess are due to receive two new ships in 2023 and 2025. I could therefore see a Grand class ship transferring from Princess to P&O in late 2024. One of Crown, Emerald or Ruby as they are most similar in design and age.

• Thanks 5

I certainly hope Aurora doesn't depart too soon as a family we have lost 2 cruises on her due to Covid and because of dates have had to settle for Britannia (no issue) to the Baltic rather than Aurora. Such a shame as it's our favorite ship and as a young cruiser is by far the best and most traditional which I do enjoy. 

• Like 1

It is a shame though that the itineraries have become so bland. Think back 5 years and the variety was good and 10 years ago was even better now it's the same ship doing the same circuit which was what stood P&O out from other lines that they didn't do the same trios over and over...now that seems to be history.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

We have 2 moved cruises in 2023 and I have to say I have no interest in booking any more.  I think our cruising days are over.  Lost interest.

My thoughts exactly.....it is going to be a very changed world ....in more ways than one....so as the uncertainties escalate there could be more and more change of ports....dropped ports....possibly more days at sea .....bigger and bigger all singing/dancing ships....

We have done quite a few cruises....seen what what we want to see in a way that we want to do it knowing what we were going to get....no forever changing goalposts and hoops to jump through

Over the years we have always had one foot in cruising and one discovering what we have on our own doorstep so it is absolutely no problem to be rediscovering our own wonderful doorstep with all the varieties that it has

5 hours ago, janny444 said:

My thoughts exactly.....it is going to be a very changed world ....in more ways than one....so as the uncertainties escalate there could be more and more change of ports....dropped ports....possibly more days at sea .....bigger and bigger all singing/dancing ships....

We have done quite a few cruises....seen what what we want to see in a way that we want to do it knowing what we were going to get....no forever changing goalposts and hoops to jump through

Over the years we have always had one foot in cruising and one discovering what we have on our own doorstep so it is absolutely no problem to be rediscovering our own wonderful doorstep with all the varieties that it has

Fortunately, not every line is introducing mega-ships. Fred Olsen and Ambassador operate smaller ships ex UK ports and Marella operate smaller ships on a fly-cruise basis.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 12:37 PM, SummmerInKefalonia said:

If you need something specific I can help you though.

Would be interested in Azura's planned itinerary from Malta during July & August, if you have time. Many thanks.

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Very pricey though.  I don't care what's included.  they are VERY expensive.

Jean - We have had this discussion before,  and I know you like inside cabins,  but for couples who like a drink, want a balcony,  and live a distance away from Southampton/Dover,  Saga are not very expensive.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Jean - We have had this discussion before,  and I know you like inside cabins,  but for couples who like a drink, want a balcony,  and live a distance away from Southampton/Dover,  Saga are not very expensive.

Jean should check our one going to the med at the end of the Month. 15 nights, only £4,200 each. Bargain.🤔

13 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Very pricey though.  I don't care what's included.  they are VERY expensive.

One of the very rare occasions I agree with you they are expensive, but if they wish to spend the extra so be it, for us the extra we save goes towards another cruise.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

One of the very rare occasions I agree with you they are expensive, but if they wish to spend the extra so be it, for us the extra we save goes towards another cruise.

Lots of money. In my post I said ' our one '. Predictive changed it from ' out one '. We normally have 3 cruises a year. Doing that on Saga would bankrupt us.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Lots of money. In my post I said ' our one '. Predictive changed it from ' out one '. We normally have 3 cruises a year. Doing that on Saga would bankrupt us

It would not bankrupt us just reduce the amount of holiday's we would get, and to be honest at my age I want as many good cruise's I can get for my money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

It would not bankrupt us just reduce the amount of holiday's we would get, and to be honest at my age I want as many good cruise's I can get for my money.

I agree Saga is just too pricey for us. We would probably not get the benefit of many of the included items. We live just under the 250 mile zone but my wife could not use a minivan or minibus, so unlikely Saga would agree to a car solely for us. Similarly she could not use a coach so all the included excursions would be of no use. Additionally she only drinks infrequently and even if mocktails and coffees are included, I doubt her spending would be significant, so the all inclusive is of no real benefit.

So overall I don't  see that Saga would be an adequate replacement for P&O, even with all their faults.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I agree Saga is just too pricey for us. We would probably not get the benefit of many of the included items. We live just under the 250 mile zone but my wife could not use a minivan or minibus, so unlikely Saga would agree to a car solely for us. Similarly she could not use a coach so all the included excursions would be of no use. Additionally she only drinks infrequently and even if mocktails and coffees are included, I doubt her spending would be significant, so the all inclusive is of no real benefit.

So overall I don't  see that Saga would be an adequate replacement for P&O, even with all their faults.

Saga are very niche just for specific people IMO.  We live more than the distance for a private transfer, so would have to pile into a mini bus with others at silly o'clock on the morning of a cruise. Hence stops en route restricted to what they want and be feeling totally exhausted as we embark the ship (c.f. travelling down at leisure in our own vehicle or taking a train journey the day before with a night in a hotel that adds to our holiday).  We need annual insurance for other travel, so no advantage in that either and the last thing we would want to do at ports is to go on a scenic coach ride as an included tour.  Prices totally are ridiculous for a straight forward cruise.

I read a report in the last few days of a couple who travelled a fair way to embark a Saga ship in a Saga included private transport.  They tested negative for covid, but their driver tested positive.  So they were refused boarding and put into a taxi to take them home again!  In covid times it is far better to keep to your own transport.

Edited by tring
  • Like 3