When will cruise lines drop the vaccine requirement?

6 hours ago, geegee1 said:

I wish they would keep the vaxed only rules and if you're not vaxed you need to test 3 days before, at the pier then again 3 days later while you're on the ship. Kind of like Puerto Rico is dealing with it, though PR has 48 hours beforehand if I remember correctly.

I think this is a bad idea. Let’s say someone unvaccinated tests positive 3 days Into their cruise. That means you (a vaccinated person) could end up locked in a quarantine room just because you sat next to the infected person during the comedy show. 

I believe tests and quarantine are best saved  for those who are actually symptomatic. 

• Like 5

On 3/7/2022 at 4:51 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

They already are. Requirements are easing up at warp speed. There are several islands that no longer require vaccination. Even Hawaii, which has historically been strict about entry requirements throughout the pandemic is dropping their entire Safe Travels plan March 25th. This means there will be zero requirements to enter Hawaii. No vaccine, no testing, nodda. 

Except Canada, which is a major problem for lines thinking about dropping the vaccine requirement. Let's face it, Alaska sailings are a major money maker and vital to summer survival. I don't think congress will extend the "skip Canada" order since Canada is technically open. Other countries have rules too. That's kind of a sticking point. 

12 minutes ago, Uff da said:

Except Canada, which is a major problem for lines thinking about dropping the vaccine requirement. Let's face it, Alaska sailings are a major money maker and vital to summer survival. I don't think congress will extend the "skip Canada" order since Canada is technically open. Other countries have rules too. That's kind of a sticking point. 

Right now all I am reading about is mandates being eliminated. Are you aware of any new mandates in the last Month from any Country? Even hawaii and Bermuda have relaxed tremendously and they were historically very conservative.  I believe Alaska will happen with or without Canada. I do acknowledge that The flu season will be telling. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Right now all I am reading about is mandates being eliminated. Are you aware of any new mandates in the last Month from any Country? Even hawaii and Bermuda have relaxed tremendously and they were historically very conservative.  I believe Alaska will happen with or without Canada. I do acknowledge that The flu season will be telling. 

I only care about Canada because that's my next cruise. I've been watching what the rules will be for entry.
They posted it here a few days ago. https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6805/   I mean, I'm okay. I can meet all their requirements no problem. I'm pretty sure that Norwegians new rules for kids don't meet them though. It's my understanding you can't dock unless the ship meets the requirements. If you know something different, let me know. 

When I first saw this article, I figured "sooner than expected" meant by this summer.  I have a hard time believing any restrictions make it another full year when everyone else has moved on.  If they're going to allow people who were vaccinated over a year ago with a single J&J shot to be considered fully vaccinated, they might as well let everyone cruise since the efficacy is about the same.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Uff da said:

I only care about Canada because that's my next cruise. I've been watching what the rules will be for entry.
They posted it here a few days ago. https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6805/   I mean, I'm okay. I can meet all their requirements no problem. I'm pretty sure that Norwegians new rules for kids don't meet them though. It's my understanding you can't dock unless the ship meets the requirements. If you know something different, let me know. 

Lol- since ncl has already dropped the vaccine requirement for kids,  it doesn’t matter when the vaccine requirement is removed for adults in your scenerio (which is what this thread is about.)

For what it’s worth, I think the Alaskan season will

happen with or without Canada. Last year the Alaskan governor was very involved. 

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2022 at 9:26 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

However; I remember lots of folks on here insisting that vaccines would be required forever and ever.  That no longer appears to be the case, but as you say, time will tell! 

They probably should be and flu vaccines as well. There is no reason for staff to get sick from either Covid or Flu.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

If you're vaccinated, why do you care?

This.  I look forward to the day when they (finally) change their requirements to a) vaccinated or b) negative test.  Won't that be the day? 😎

Because I have another cruise this fall and the definition of fully vaccinated could require another vaccine or booster.

11 hours ago, Uff da said:

This is exactly what I am watching for. I have a New England/Canada cruise in September. I am fully vaccinated and boosted but the testing is such a pain in the neck! That’s the only requirement I hope leaves.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Diane67B said:

This is exactly what I am watching for. I have a New England/Canada cruise in September. I am fully vaccinated and boosted but the testing is such a pain in the neck! That’s the only requirement I hope leaves.

Pain in the neck?  Call your local drugstore and make an appointment.  Done.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Diane67B said:

Thats pretty funny, for a year I had to test once a week for work...... now that was a pain in the neck

I wouldn't call it a pain, but I'd call it a deal breaker for me. Testing, when traveling a great distance to be able to cruise, which is costly within itself, now puts too much of a risk factor with testing to step on board the ship.💸

IMHO-I'd rather drop the testing first before vaccination status. I feel I did my part and got vaxed and boosted. I think dropping testing for all of those would be a great first step. Seems the mask requirement is slowly phasing out, maybe testing next??

So-to stay on topic-I feel dropping the vaccine requirement should not be the first to go. That's just little ole me's wish list!! 😉

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Uff da said:

I've read about the new Canada rules several places, and it's not clear to me what will be required for a ship to simply visit a port.  They seem more specific to embarking or disembarking at a Canadian port.  What about a round trip AK cruise from Seattle that stops in Victoria.  Will all passengers have to be tested on board prior to docking?  That seems a bit silly for that joke of a stop.

I currently have a Boston - Quebec City B2B scheduled for this fall.  It makes me nervous to think about how Canada might mess that up, since technically I'm disembarking and embarking at Quebec City, perhaps without even getting off the ship.  I may just skip that one this year and plan to do it once Covid has fully blown over.

The first domino that has to fall is the general transportation mask mandate.  Until this goes away, cruise lines will not drop testing or vax requirements or drop out of the cruise ship program.  As soon as they do, they fall under general transportation, and masks are required at all times outside your cabin, pax and crew.  Cruise lines will gladly accept testing and vaccinations over masks any day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I've read about the new Canada rules several places, and it's not clear to me what will be required for a ship to simply visit a port. 

I don't think the Canadian government looks at "embarkation" and "disembarking" the same way cruisers do.  They are looking at the legal term, where the simple act of getting off the ship (whether at the beginning/end of a cruise, or for a port call) is "disembarking", and getting on the ship from shore is "embarking".  I read it as testing required prior to a port call.  I think you'll see the Victoria port call moved to the beginning of the cruise, so the embarkation testing in Seattle will cover the Canadian requirement, timewise.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

What about a round trip AK cruise from Seattle that stops in Victoria.  Will all passengers have to be tested on board prior to docking?  That seems a bit silly for that joke of a stop.

That is what I'm keeping an eye on. My cruise is round trip from Seattle with a stop in Victoria to meet the foreign port requirement.

I know some people think they will extend the "skip Canada" order, but I don't think they will. Bigger fish to fry in DC right now. Canada is technically open and cruise ships will have to bend to the rules. There is too much money on the line that they desperately need. If we are "returning to normal," this is what normal is until it isn't. 

Anything could change between now and then. It's still a ways off to Alaska sailings. 

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

I don't think the Canadian government looks at "embarkation" and "disembarking" the same way cruisers do.  They are looking at the legal term, where the simple act of getting off the ship (whether at the beginning/end of a cruise, or for a port call) is "disembarking", and getting on the ship from shore is "embarking".  I read it as testing required prior to a port call.  I think you'll see the Victoria port call moved to the beginning of the cruise, so the embarkation testing in Seattle will cover the Canadian requirement, timewise.

Thanks.  Are they still testing everybody in Seattle prior to boarding the ship?  If not, then the timing would likely be very tight for a second day Victoria port call, since Canada requires prior day Antigen or three days prior PCR.  I would rather they just Antigen test everybody on the ship the day before the Victoria port call.   

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

@Uff da Things are changing rapidly, even in Canada... .... I would think this is a bit of good news for you, ey?

image.png.1bdc35bf785baf34f8d9f844002a7430.png

https://globalnews.ca/news/8670563/bc-mask-vaccine-card-requirements-update/

Yes! Thanks. That's great news. It's especially great if they modify the order for ships because I read the text of Murkowski's bill and the very last line says it only applies if Canada is closed to cruise ships, which it is not. I expect it to die. I remember some uproar from the East Coast since they were excluded last year and also depend on the Canada stops. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks.  Are they still testing everybody in Seattle prior to boarding the ship?  If not, then the timing would likely be very tight for a second day Victoria port call, since Canada requires prior day Antigen or three days prior PCR.  I would rather they just Antigen test everybody on the ship the day before the Victoria port call.   

No free port testing anymore. You can get one if you pay for it though. Norwegian's requirement is a verified pcr or antigen test no sooner than 2 days prior to boarding. So that won't work for Canada unless they go back to testing the day of sailing and make Canada the first stop instead of the last. As you see from Bermuda above, Canada is starting to relax some rules, mostly geared toward Canadians right now. We'll see what happens when cruise season actually starts. Still a month or better away. 

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I think you'll see the Victoria port call moved to the beginning of the cruise, so the embarkation testing in Seattle will cover the Canadian requirement, timewise.

Norwegian stopped testing at the pier on March 1. They would have to bring it back and do Canada first, as you suggested. Or we could get lucky and Canada changes/clarifies the rules again. 

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I don't think the Canadian government looks at "embarkation" and "disembarking" the same way cruisers do.  They are looking at the legal term, where the simple act of getting off the ship (whether at the beginning/end of a cruise, or for a port call) is "disembarking", and getting on the ship from shore is "embarking".  I read it as testing required prior to a port call. 

My fall B2B Boston - Quebec City itinerary has four Canadian port calls on each leg.  Does this mean that I will need to test negative 8 times (in addition to at least one more for Quebec City) during the cruise?  Does that sound like a "fun time" to anybody??

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

My fall B2B Boston - Quebec City itinerary has four Canadian port calls on each leg.  Does this mean that I will need to test negative 8 times (in addition to at least one more for Quebec City) during the cruise?  Does that sound like a "fun time" to anybody??

I believe it is only required before the first entry into Canada.