Changes to main dining room menu

Yinster

29 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The majority of them are great. I have tried just about all of them. 

I have too. In fact we have RCI B2b Oasis, MSC B2B Seashore, NCL Breakaway B2B, Prima 2, Celebrity Apex this year. We have sailed HAL, Costa but not Carnival. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 11:40 AM, moosecrouse said:

Read an article that said the MDR will offer a "special" every night from one of the Speciality restraunts menus. 

The Haven menu never changes but after many complaints, they added one special each night. Although when I sailed 3 mo ago in Haven, the nightly special was eliminated.

Having 16 different dining venues sounds great but I'm not into sushi, or tappas, etc. so this concept won't be an enticement for me. 

I also thought it might be a novel idea to open the specialty restaurants for lunch on sea days.

Edited by kitty-sail

34 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Obviously you have not sailed on the Mardi Gras.  It's a game changer for Carnival similar to how the Prima Class will be a game changer for NCL.

Exactly. Try a Havana suite for about half the price of a NCL suite and come talk to me about wasting your money. 

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Exactly. Try a Havana suite for about half the price of a NCL suite and come talk to me about wasting your money. 

I don't need to stay in a suite to have an enjoyable time on a cruise. Won't spend money on a suite on my B2B's on the Discovery Princess, RCI Oasis or Carnival Mardi Gras or 11 days on the NCL Prima, which are my future 2022 bookings.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 5:55 PM, david_sobe said:

This would have been a big deal several years ago.  Today not so much since NCL almost gives passengers 2 specialty dinners with a 7 night booking.  Specialty dining is so popular which means fewer eat at the MDR every night.  There are some that are excellent with their budget and stick to it and I can see some of them upset.  But for most of us, we probably would not even notice the change.

Didn't that change too? now you only get one for a 7 -11 day cruise?  2 if longer?  I believe they cut back on the "free at sea" amounts too.

1 hour ago, juju2454 said:

Didn't that change too? now you only get one for a 7 -11 day cruise?  2 if longer?  I believe they cut back on the "free at sea" amounts too.

If you are in a Studio, Inside or Ocean View, you get one specialty with FAS.  Anything above that still gets 2.  

On 3/8/2022 at 4:48 PM, ray985 said:

Not sure how I feel about that. Feels like another way they're trying to get you to spend more money to go to specialty restaurants. I'm on a 10-day sailing of the Viva, and I know I'd get bored of seeing the same stuff for dinner every night in the main dining room; and my "free at sea" package only came with one meal. 

You do know that the Viva has dozens of food options? And there are several ones that are included in the cruise price and offer dinner as well.

I think that this is the plan from NCL. They want the people to spread around and use all dining options and not just the MDR.

I was on the epic for two consecutive weeks in January and Febraury and the menu in the MDR in the second week was the same as in the first week. So there wasn`t that much choice on longer cruises anyway.

As long as there are more main dish options than days of cruise i am fine with it.

• 5 months later...

I wonder how many times Sommers has sailed for more than a 2 or 3 day cruise. He says they have already changed it 16-17 times? Maybe they need better chefs. I think any chef would be offended if told they couldn't cook beef great 14 different ways. It will be interesting. We have 7 day coming up in 2023. We tend to do longer sailings, and 1 MDR menu would not cut it on a 28 day cruise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, roboref said:

Here is a menu link. 11 entrees (that is it)

Norwegian PRIMA Dining Menus · Prof. Cruise (profcruise.com)

I would get very tired of this menu as I really don't care (wouldn't pick) half of the dinner options. Especially if on a longer cruise!

You did not count the meatless entrees and there is also the pasta which has more than enough options to make at least a couple more meals.  And there are plenty of small plates and salads which could be combined for more meals.

• Haha 2

This thread was started back in March. In the article, it was stated that the fixed menu will be rolled out on other NCL ships in 2023 (noted in article that it was assuming the change would go over well on the Prima).  Is there an update on that plan?

I'm sailing on the Escape in Feb 2023. Just wondering if the fleetwide change will be in place by then. And how much time NCL is allowing themselves to  see how people that actually sail on Prima respond to this change before they make a decision to roll it out fleetwide or not. Just wondering if am official update has been provided by NCL.

Thanks 

28 minutes ago, blueslily said:

This thread was started back in March. In the article, it was stated that the fixed menu will be rolled out on other NCL ships in 2023 (noted in article that it was assuming the change would go over well on the Prima).  Is there an update on that plan?

I'm sailing on the Escape in Feb 2023. Just wondering if the fleetwide change will be in place by then. And how much time NCL is allowing themselves to  see how people that actually sail on Prima respond to this change before they make a decision to roll it out fleetwide or not. Just wondering if am official update has been provided by NCL.

Thanks 

The Prima has only sailed once. Not sure that you could collect substantiating metrics from a single voyage. 

2 hours ago, Karaboudjan said:

You did not count the meatless entrees and there is also the pasta which has more than enough options to make at least a couple more meals.  And there are plenty of small plates and salads which could be combined for more meals.

I don't do meatless (for vegetarian diets, small segment) and the pasta is pasta, nothing special there, still way fewer than the 35 or so choices on a regular menu. Besides other lines do pasta bars at lunch. This should be recognized for what it is, downsizing and cost cutting.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, roboref said:

This should be recognized for what it is, downsizing and cost cutting.

You say that like it's a bad thing.  Companies that want to be successful are always looking at ways to streamline and cut costs.  I suspect that NCL knows the average guest eats significantly fewer than 7 MDR meals on a 7 night cruise so it's probably more realistic to compare the new menu to 20 or 25 choices.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Karaboudjan said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.  Companies that want to be successful are always looking at ways to streamline and cut costs.  I suspect that NCL knows the average guest eats significantly fewer than 7 MDR meals on a 7 night cruise so it's probably more realistic to compare the new menu to 20 or 25 choices.  

To further your point, pre-shutdown I’ve been on five NCL cruises and haven’t eaten in an MDR since 2006. I also eat a late breakfast and seldom eat lunch. They’re saving $$ on me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roboref said:

This should be recognized for what it is, downsizing and cost cutting.

3 hours ago, Karaboudjan said:

You say that like it's a bad thing. 

When we're discussing cruises, it generally is a bad thing for the customer experience.  The topic here, reduced menu options, is no exception.

• Like 2