Should Saga modify their age restrictions on integration with Titan?

Denarius

Since Saga cruises launched in the 1990s offering cruises for senior citizens, their age requirements have been progressively reduced. The minimum age now effectively stands at 40 with one of the cabin occupants being at least 50. In the intervening years, other cruise lines like P&O have introduced adults only ships or cruises with a minimum age of 18. Titan has a minimum age of 12 for its tours. Should Saga cruises now take the opportunity to reduce their minimum age requirement to 18 in line with other adults only ships? Should they go even further and allign with Titan at 12, allowing greater integration of the brands? Both would increase their potential market but a cost of possibly alienating Saga regulars who do not wish to sail with (relative) youngsters. Whilst I am in my mid 70s, I chose Saga because of the quality of the product not the age restrictions and have no objection to sharing the ship with over 18s or even over 12s. I recognise however, that others may take a different view. What do other Saga passengers think?

• Like 1

No objections whatever from me - I'd welcome it.  Like you, I'm interested solely in the quality of the product - not the age of the passengers.  I don't particularly like living in a bubble.

Signed up to Saga as soon as I hit the required age - £50 for a lifetime's membership, with the magazine, which has got better and better over the years (I do hope that's not just me getting older and older).  Saga flourishes because of its wide range, and I'd be happy to see a wider age range on the ships.  I doubt it will lead to roller coasters and dodgems somehow.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saga have owned Titan since 2009, running alongside Saga with a separate age limit.

Saga also ran their Spirit of Adventure arm based on an age limit of 21 alongside their Saga arm based on an age limit of 50 (a travelling companion can be 40).

So see no reason why they should lose the niche status of being a 50+ holiday, which is part of the attraction for many of the customers.

My vote to the question is No.

• Like 5

Some cabins and some other facilities would need modifications if children were allowed so don't see that happening. Also it would presumably increase the capacity which would not be ideal for us as we like the spacious feel of the ships, even with the normal pre-covid capacity.

• Like 1

Have to agree to no - Saga is a perfect fit for the age group it caters for,  and the only one for those who cannot get to a ship without using a taxi transfer - almost all of whom will be over 50.  It is certainly the only line I can use, as I need door to door transport - and love the Saga style anyway.

• Like 4

Personally, I’m much more interested in the mix of passengers I’ll be sailing with than their age. The only passengers we’ve ever actively avoided, Freedom Dining with P&O, weren’t avoided on the grounds of age. We avoided them because they were simply unpleasant to share a table with.

Comments like “I’m not racist, but…….” always, invariably, leading in one direction. And usually from older people, not younger ones.

1 minute ago, Windsurfboy said:

Don't understand relevance of this comment 

Merely to indicate that - for us at least - it's not so much the age of fellow passengers that matters.  It's how they behave.  Young people can behave badly, and so can older people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Merely to indicate that - for us at least - it's not so much the age of fellow passengers that matters.  It's how they behave.  Young people can behave badly, and so can older people.

You are 100% correct about that - but what on earth makes you think that the "no" answers are anything to do with perceived bad behaviour?

Targeting a specific age group means that the entire ship can have facilities and events aimed at that particular group, and that was the reason for my answer.

• Like 1

At present it is anyone over 40 who can accompany an over 50 - but I can see the point.  I have seen on board an older slightly disabled singleton whose carer was travelling with him - she was probably over 50 (and, yes, was a carer not a secret girl friend!) but although unusual, should be a possibility with carers or children under 40.  I suspect that at present Saga would say no.  As  usual, it could end up as the thin end of the wedge, a bit like interpretations of 'formal dress'.

The No's where sbout, should it follow Titan and allow anyone over 18.   There is a complete difference in ambience between on over 50s ship and a general family ship. They will expect a more party atmosphere. Here you can accuse me of being biased but my 18 year old self would take a completely different approach to all  inclusive drinks than my Saga aged self

Whether Saga should take a more relaxed attitude about the occasional younger carer is a different matter.  If they restrict it to genuine carers , rather than just a younger friend, daughter, son who wants to come along can't see how that would be the thin end of a wedge

I meant a younger carer, friend or child by all means - the thin end of the wedge would be if people thought they would like to bring several of them along, which could possibly happen - a bit like people trying to get away with unsuitable clothing  in the evenings.  Although I guess most under 40's wouldn't want to do a Saga cruise!

On S o A we were docked adjacent to P and O Iona in Cadiz in January.  Several SoA passengers on board said 'we are going on Iona with our grandchildren this summer'.

I think people can choose what suits them at different times, and I suspect the Saga  cruises age restriction is an attraction for some people, and if it is flexible to allow companions and carers then it is fine.