Update on covid policy

Just got this for cruise next week:

Certificate of Recovery: Instead of a negative pre-cruise test, a Certificate of Recovery and a positive PCR test taken between 11-90 days prior to our sail date can be provided to sail with us. To learn more, check out our dedicated FAQ here. Please note: we will not accept a Certificate of Recovery in the place of a vaccination record. Additionally, some ports of call do not accept Certificates of Recovery for the purposes of debarking and enjoying the destination.  

If you prove that you had COVID between 11-90 days ago and have recovered, you will not have to take a pre- cruise COVID test.

I assume, but do not know for sure, that a Certificate of Recovery must come from your physician.

That seems like a lot to go through and still requires a visit to either a doctor or other medical professional willing to take the time to provide all of that. I think taking the test will be much easier than going through all of that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, we-b-crusin said:

That seems like a lot to go through and still requires a visit to either a doctor or other medical professional willing to take the time to provide all of that. I think taking the test will be much easier than going through all of that.

The point is there are people who have recovered from COVID but still have positive test results and won't be able to cruise. This gives them a way to cruise, by documenting that they had COVID but have recovered. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, we-b-crusin said:

Yes but if you are still testing positive a certificate of recovery allows you to sail.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

The point is there are people who have recovered from COVID but still have positive test results and won't be able to cruise. This gives them a way to cruise, by documenting that they had COVID but have recovered. 

That's why we only take the antigen test.  If you aren't actively shedding the virus you will test negative. PCR is very sensitive and you could test positive even though you are no longer shedding the virus. 

Yet they're not requiring boosters and still requiring that those fully vaxxed and boosted show a negative test to board - which means we still have to muck with pre-cruise testing. I'm not quite sure that makes sense to me.

Edited by shutterbug63

Also look at the list of ports not accepting the COR in lieu of the negative test. The COR will allow you to cruise but you may not be allowed off the boat when in port.

My family all had COVID in January/February and we cruise in April, my plan is to take an at home rapid test about 3 weeks prior to hopefully confirm that none of use are showing a positive result on the test. From there I will be more comfortable with the test 2 days before the cruise. If we went the COR route, I did not get a PCR at the time so would need to test anyway. Then we would not be allowed off the boat in half of our ports.

9 hours ago, mianmike said:

That's why we only take the antigen test.  If you aren't actively shedding the virus you will test negative. PCR is very sensitive and you could test positive even though you are no longer shedding the virus. 

Unfortunately my kids require PCR tests. We all had Covid 50 days ago.

Ugh, my husband and I had COVID in early January. I have a positive test but he doesn’t - he’s retired, didn’t need proof for sick days (like I did), so only I got the test and the positive result though we both had the same symptoms. So if we are still testing positive for our cruise next week, he won’t qualify for a Certificate of Recovery, right??

The nearest CVS antigen test site is 3 hours away from us. I have appointments booked for the evening two days before the cruise (I’m going to have to take off early from work, drive 3 hours there, drive 3 hours back, and go to work the next morning - ugh!). I was hoping to get an ID Now test from Walgreens closer to our house (dates only open a week early, so I can schedule it tomorrow morning), but I hear it’s a kinda-sorta PCR test and is more sensitive. It looks like I’ll be getting the Walgreens test over my lunch break, but holding onto those CVS appointments just in case…🙄

Edited by peanutzmom

1 hour ago, peanutzmom said:

Ugh, my husband and I had COVID in early January. I have a positive test but he doesn’t - he’s retired, didn’t need proof for sick days (like I did), so only I got the test and the positive result though we both had the same symptoms. So if we are still testing positive for our cruise next week, he won’t qualify for a Certificate of Recovery, right??

The nearest CVS antigen test site is 3 hours away from us. I have appointments booked for the evening two days before the cruise (I’m going to have to take off early from work, drive 3 hours there, drive 3 hours back, and go to work the next morning - ugh!). I was hoping to get an ID Now test from Walgreens closer to our house (dates only open a week early, so I can schedule it tomorrow morning), but I hear it’s a kinda-sorta PCR test and is more sensitive. It looks like I’ll be getting the Walgreens test over my lunch break, but holding onto those CVS appointments just in case…🙄

Could you take the proctored at-home antigen test?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rdtpm64 said:

Could you take the proctored at-home antigen test?

That’s an idea. We’ll have to think about that. I just found out this morning how much more sensitive the PCR test is. Our original plan was to make the 3-hour-away CVS appointments just as back-ups in case we couldn’t get scheduled at the local Walgreens, because CVS let’s you book 2 weeks out and Walgreens let’s you only book 1 week out. So, we didn’t think we’d actually need those CVS appointments. After learning about the difference in sensitivity of the two tests, I might have to see if we can get home tests shipped here in time.

7 hours ago, shutterbug63 said:

Yet they're not requiring boosters and still requiring that those fully vaxxed and boosted show a negative test to board - which means we still have to muck with pre-cruise testing. I'm not quite sure that makes sense to me.

So somebody who had Covid 2 months ago, as long as they get a letter from their doctor, they don't have to test?  Even though they could have gotten reinfected in the meantime?  But those of us who are fully vaxed with boosters and have never had Covid, we still have to test?  

2 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

So somebody who had Covid 2 months ago, as long as they get a letter from their doctor, they don't have to test?  Even though they could have gotten reinfected in the meantime?  But those of us who are fully vaxed with boosters and have never had Covid, we still have to test?  

Plus a positive result document for a COVID-19 PCR test taken a minimum of 11 days and a maximum of 90 days before the departure date of your cruise.

Just now, exm said:

Plus a positive result document for a COVID-19 PCR test taken a minimum of 11 days and a maximum of 90 days before the departure date of your cruise.

Again, my point being that they could be reinfected (especially if they have to show a positive PCR test 11 days prior, and yet their original infection was 3 months earlier), but they can board.  If I am asymptomic and test positive 48 hours prior to sailing, I can't cruise.  

1 hour ago, peanutzmom said:

That’s an idea. We’ll have to think about that. I just found out this morning how much more sensitive the PCR test is. Our original plan was to make the 3-hour-away CVS appointments just as back-ups in case we couldn’t get scheduled at the local Walgreens, because CVS let’s you book 2 weeks out and Walgreens let’s you only book 1 week out. So, we didn’t think we’d actually need those CVS appointments. After learning about the difference in sensitivity of the two tests, I might have to see if we can get home tests shipped here in time.

The proctored home tests work nicely, and are a much better choice than a 6 hour round trip.  Order soon, though to allow shipping time.  Also order at least one extra kit, just in case there is an unexpected problem with one of your kits (a defect like an empty bottle or you drop the swab or you get an inconclusive result the first time or whatever might go wrong).

1 hour ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Again, my point being that they could be reinfected (especially if they have to show a positive PCR test 11 days prior, and yet their original infection was 3 months earlier), but they can board.  If I am asymptomic and test positive 48 hours prior to sailing, I can't cruise.  

That is the “elephant in the room” with a COR that no one wants to discuss. It completely invalidates the testing protocols currently in place. 

It will be interesting to see how easily the certificate is to get.  My practice has a policy of not providing them. 

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

That is the “elephant in the room” with a COR that no one wants to discuss. It completely invalidates the testing protocols currently in place. 

It will be interesting to see how easily the certificate is to get.  My practice has a policy of not providing them. 

Does the letter from the physician have to say the patient is no longer contagious?  If so, I would think most would be reluctant to sign their names to that.  They would have no way of knowing if their patient has been reinfected.  

Just now, jerseygirl3 said:

Does the letter from the physician have to say the patient is no longer contagious?  If so, I would think most would be reluctant to sign their names to that.  They would have no way of knowing if their patient has been reinfected.  

The CORs we have had brought to the office in the recent past (granted not for Royal Caribbean) all asked for an affirmation or attestation that the bearer of the certificate was no longer contagious or of a threat to public health (or some variance of that language) 

Our practice administrators and legal advisors have declined to allow these to be signed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1