We Sail on Sunday and She Doesn't Know! (I think) A Cruise on Anthem, 3/13 - 3/20

How fun!!!  I've been part of a surprise trip like this.  It is SO hard to keep the secret (10 months in my case)!  I'm glad you and your DD were able to keep it a secret for so long.  I hope you have an amazing cruise, and can hardly wait to follow along!  Hope you do get the reveal on video.  Would love to see that.

• Like 2

You are amazing. And so organized and concerning for the welfare of your DW.  I will be following along to hear all about this Real LOVE STORY . Have a marvelous time on your upcoming cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, rdtpm64 said:

How fun!!!  I've been part of a surprise trip like this.  It is SO hard to keep the secret (10 months in my case)!  I'm glad you and your DD were able to keep it a secret for so long.  I hope you have an amazing cruise, and can hardly wait to follow along!  Hope you do get the reveal on video.  Would love to see that.

Hard to keep the secret doesn't even begin to describe it!!!!!

• Like 4

Omg...I am tearing up at how incredibly thoughtful and loving your surprise is to your wife.  Just lovely!  And wow...so cleaver at your tricks of why you will need a covid test and getting her to NYC.  Just wow!

As an aside, my mom was in a wheelchair and can appreciate what it's like needing someone to look after you and not being able to do things like others.  This cruise will be wonderful for both of you, (and you DD and friend too).

We're on this cruise with you (I hope), so will read your review post cruise as no internet for us...but really looking forward to hearing about it all.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Omg...I am tearing up at how incredibly thoughtful and loving your surprise is to your wife.  Just lovely!  And wow...so cleaver at your tricks of why you will need a covid test and getting her to NYC.  Just wow!

As an aside, my mom was in a wheelchair and can appreciate what it's like needing someone to look after you and not being able to do things like others.  This cruise will be wonderful for both of you, (and you DD and friend too).

We're on this cruise with you (I hope), so will read your review post cruise as no internet for us...but really looking forward to hearing about it all.

Please feel free to say hello if you see us!

• Like 1

What a wonderful surprise for your wife!  I hope you have a great cruise.  

Not sure if you know there is an elevator at Northstar if that is something you are trying to do.  She would have to be able to transfer to a narrower wheelchair though to be able to cross the little bridge into Northstar.  There is also a little elevator in Two70 if you decide to go up to the balcony.  There is a ramp in Two70 behind the bar that is in the aft corner that would allow you to take your wife to the windows at the aft of the ship.  Great place to sit and relax when there isn't a show running.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Broons77 said:

This will be our first trip in an accessible cabin, and I'm going to post a room tour to YouTube as I was unable to find a video of the accessible interior on Anthem.  So anyone has any questions specific to accessibility (or anything else really), please ask.

We just completed a trip in an accessible junior suite... We found it to be about double the width of a standard junior suite, mostly to ensure enough room for a wheelchair to move about in the cabin, and the flat-floor bathroom was also at least 50% wider in both directions, again to ensure room for a wheelchair.  There was plenty of room bedside to be able to transfer.  

There was a folding shower seat, a second flexible showerhead, and transfer bars in both the shower area and  at the toilet.  The hanging storage was also accessible -- the top closet rods rotate down and out to allow access from a wheelchair, and then can be raised out of the way as needed.

I can't guarantee that the interior rooms will be equipped as extensively, but I suspect the bathroom should be.

If I can find photos, I'll post them.

You're doing a wonderful thing here.  Your wife is blessed to have you and your daughter looking out for her.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Thanks 1

One of the things I discovered about myself is the disturbing amount of enjoyment I've gotten concocting lies through this whole adventure.  And not only that, but how much others will jump at the chance to lie right alongside me.  Case in point, a week or two ago I was convinced that DW figured out what was going on.  My twisted brain immediately came up with a plan.  Text the cousin of DW and have the cousin text or call to tell DW she was popping in for a visit.  The cousin not only climbed right into this dump truck of deceit, she piled on with a story about her stepson that she can't stand was coming for a visit and she couldn't stay there because of this, and couldn't stay there because of that.  This whole thing is becoming ridiculous.  Pretty sure if we didn't leave Sunday, the whole pile of cards would collapse...

And DW apparently doesn't suspect anything.  She's never been able to get away with much in our years together and she just seems the normal amount of excited to see her cousin.

MWAH-hahahahahahahahahahaha........

• Like 7
  • Haha 14

18 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

What a wonderful surprise for your wife!  I hope you have a great cruise.  

Not sure if you know there is an elevator at Northstar if that is something you are trying to do.  She would have to be able to transfer to a narrower wheelchair though to be able to cross the little bridge into Northstar.  There is also a little elevator in Two70 if you decide to go up to the balcony.  There is a ramp in Two70 behind the bar that is in the aft corner that would allow you to take your wife to the windows at the aft of the ship.  Great place to sit and relax when there isn't a show running.

We were on Anthem a few years ago and she was able to ride in it then.  I'm hoping to score a reservation this time around.  Last time we were in a suite and the concierge was able to get us in.  But I didn't know about the nooks and crannies in Two70, we'll be sure to take a look, thanks!!!!

9 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

We just completed a trip in an accessible junior suite... We found it to be about double the width of a standard junior suite, mostly to ensure enough room for a wheelchair to move about in the cabin, and the flat-floor bathroom was also at least 50% wider in both directions, again to ensure room for a wheelchair.  There was plenty of room bedside to be able to transfer.  

There was a folding shower seat, a second flexible showerhead, and transfer bars in both the shower area and  at the toilet.  The hanging storage was also accessible -- the top closet rods rotate down and out to allow access from a wheelchair, and then can be raised out of the way as needed.

I can't guarantee that the interior rooms will be equipped as extensively, but I suspect the bathroom should be.

If I can find photos, I'll post them.

You're doing a wonderful thing here.  Your wife is blessed to have you and your daughter looking out for her.

From what I've seen from other cabins in the Quantum class, the bathroom is equipped similar in most of the accessible cabins with the exception of higher level suites.  While small, the interiors do seem to have enough room to navigate the chair.  And we also have a combination rollator/transport chair that I'm bringing to use inside the cabin to make it even easier for us.

• Like 1

What a fantastic story. I hope everything goes as planned. You must be a wonderful husband to go through with this plan, Best of luck on this and your next cruise. Your wife and stepdaughter are very lucky indeed, in spite of the parkinsons.

• Thanks 1

Mid-level Panic Alert...

My dogsitter and I had a miscommunication that just reared it's ugly head.  She had the wrong week to watch the dog and won't be around this weekend.  The scramble is underway.  DD has been authorized to bribe friends with a C note to watch the dog from Saturday - Monday.  Not sure that's going to work.  I knew things were going along too smooth...

You are going to seriously earn some brownie points for this, and deservedly so. Your are an example for all husbands. I told my wife about your thread and she said she would KILL me if I ever did something like you are. I can’t wait to follow your adventure. You got this!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Broons77 said:

Mid-level Panic Alert...

My dogsitter and I had a miscommunication that just reared it's ugly head.  She had the wrong week to watch the dog and won't be around this weekend.  The scramble is underway.  DD has been authorized to bribe friends with a C note to watch the dog from Saturday - Monday.  Not sure that's going to work.  I knew things were going along too smooth...

Oh, no! Hope this is just a little bump in the road. There’s no way this wonderful plan you have made can go wrong now! 

I’m confident that someone among your friends and family will volunteer to  step in and take care of the dog, and your cruise will move ahead as planned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In a pinch, go online to www.Rover.com. put in your zip code, and it will list dog sitters, watchers walkers  etc.in your area that are  available and how much they will charge.  Good luck 

Edited by Missymo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Disaster averted!

A friend stepped up to cover dog watching over the weekend.  Pupster Daisy is a bit neurotic and doesn't deal with separation well, so this is good that she's going somewhere familiar.

Covid tests at 11, and cortisone shot in my hip at 1 so I'm not in a chair alongside DW by day 2 of the cruise.  Then laundry and overnight bag packing takes place after that.  Can't believe it's this weekend, but Cruisemapper shows Anthem on it's way to NJ so I guess this is happening!!!!

image.png.69f1687692ee81d543fd2390f55d7014.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1