Which newer Carnival ship(s) would you recommend?

Tallyfins

I am looking to do a Christmas cruise with my family and wanted to take one of the newer ships with all the different dining options, onboard activities, etc. We have hit all of the itineraries in the Caribbean, so I would more like to enjoy the perks of one of the newer ships as opposed to a specific Caribbean location(s).  I am also interested in staying in the other rooms they offer (We have stayed in Inside, OV, Balcony, and Suites - see the ships we have previously sailed on below in my Signature). I am interested in the Suites, Havana, Family Harbor, etc. based on recommendations. We would want to leave from one of the FL ports (Port Canaveral, Miami, Tampa). I've looked at a couple of the ships but wanted to hit up the board for suggestions and recommendations.

TIA,

Tallyfins

Mardi Gras cannot compare to any of Carnival's other ships.....new and so many options. If you are looking for the experience of the ship and not particularly the ports, then you won't be disappointed.  The only concern is the number of passengers onboard....could be close to 6K

Just now, silversneakers said:

Mardi Gras cannot compare to any of Carnival's other ships.....new and so many options. If you are looking for the experience of the ship and not particularly the ports, then you won't be disappointed.  The only concern is the number of passengers onboard....could be close to 6K

Biggest concern for me as all the lines are moving towards behemoths. If not done correctly, it will only exacerbate the negatives of crowded cruises and jam packed decks. Cabin shrinkage is another issue, smaller cabins is a downgrade no matter how you slice it, even if they are well appointed. Space matters.   

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Biggest concern for me as all the lines are moving towards behemoths. If not done correctly, it will only exacerbate the negatives of crowded cruises and jam packed decks. Cabin shrinkage is another issue, smaller cabins is a downgrade no matter how you slice it, even if they are well appointed. Space matters.   

Exactly.  I have been on the conquest-sized ships mostly.  Went on Freedom in January, which we loved -especially since there were only 1400 people on it.  We just went on Horizon in February, which to me was a mega-ship compared to the others.   We were "short" 1,000 people (capacity/covid/who knows why) and the ship still did feel very crowded on Lido on sea days.  Can't imagine it at full capacity.  Chair hogs were out in full force.  We had a Havana aft wrap, which "shrank" the crowds down to literally nothing for us. I am now spoiled, and if going on another "large" ship would have to do a Havana-type category.  Christmas will especially be at max capacity with all families onboard.  We also (after 29 CCL cruises plus other lines) use the ship as the destination - hardly get off at the ports anymore- maybe to shop a little, that is it.    Always find something to do on the ship, no matter which one it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I understand what you are saying.  I think the cruise lines are trying to make the ships the "experience" rather than the ports and trying to include their "private" islands. The cabin size doesn't matter to me as I just sleep and shower and don't spend much time in my cabin.  Even the balconies are small. But having said that, I would hesitate with more than 2 people in a cabin.  I remember a friend of ours was sailing with his wife and 3 teenage daughters in one cabin and I'm thinking what are the chances this poor guy will ever get to use the shower, etc. I remember telling him that the gym has great showers and to think about that option!!

• Like 1

Mardi Gras will be tossed aside as soon as the Celebration starts it cruises from a US port, then in 2023 the Jubilee will be the new hot girl on the block till the next new ship comes out. I remember when everyone was crazy about the Dream and Magic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Retiredmedic said:

Mardi Gras will be tossed aside as soon as the Celebration starts it cruises from a US port, then in 2023 the Jubilee will be the new hot girl on the block till the next new ship comes out. I remember when everyone was crazy about the Dream and Magic.

I was wondering when someone would mention the New Kid In Town.

I have been on many different Carnival ships and I would recommend the Mardi Gras.  While I prefer the theater on the Dream class ships and think some of the venues were small for the number of passengers, the ship makes up for it in other areas.  It's really an amazing ship and everything is still so nice and new.  The decor is tasteful and they are able to have some very nice shows in the mid ship area with a huge screen. The food options seem endless.  The entertainment throughout the ship is constant, so there's something for everyone.

I never had a problem with crowds because we are used to showing up early for shows to get good seats.  We were also always able to get some nice padded seats on the decks in the shade.

Edited by TNcruising02

I always hearken back to what Carnival is as a company.  They sell vacations.  And they want the lion's share of your dollars when you are on one of their vacations.  The ports (and your money spent in them) are simply an afterthought.  They need to have them for most folks to be able to sell the experience but it's way down the pecking order. Heck, they've even built their own!  Modern cruise ship construction reflects the above thinking.

I would also vote for the Mardi Gras or Celebration which begins sailing in Nov 2022. Having said that, if you are interested in booking a Havana cabin I would book the Horizon. The Havana are on the Horizon is far superior to the other two ships. Havana is a great area but Mardi Gras is a great ship. Tough choice. Enjoy!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Retiredmedic said:

well the magic still looks nice to me.  I have only done the Vista.  I will wait for the 2nd in class call Celebration.  or the new Jubilee.  I do like that Carnival recycles names much like HAL does too.

After being a harsh critic of the Vista class prior to sailing, I'm going to do an about face and go with the Horizon as my recommendation.

Some public spaces are smaller, but in all honesty it seems like the perfection (and small expansion) of the Dream class design.  There's always somewhere to go or something new to check out.  

While the Mardi Gras might be a totally new and awesome experience, I can see the Vista class being an awesome alternative.  The Horizon has also been assigned to some fantastic routes out of Miami, which helps my choice there too.

We could not recommend anything higher than HORIZON in the Havana!!! Cruised it twice last year, and leaving again in two weeks, Havana is an awesome experience! With all the specialty dining and included dining, we never went to main dining one time in 8 days on our last cruise!
 Crusing Vista in Havana this September and just booked a smokin deal yesterday for Vista Dec 2023 (Vista moves to Port Canaveral in 2023). May never cruise again on Carnival outside of Havana.
 For us Mardis Gras and the other new ships coming have a too small Havana area and too many pax for our liking, but just our opinion. 

Breeze and Magic in a Spa room is also pretty awesome, hope you have a great time whichever you choose! 

On 3/11/2022 at 5:14 PM, sd63 said:

I would also vote for the Mardi Gras or Celebration which begins sailing in Nov 2022. Having said that, if you are interested in booking a Havana cabin I would book the Horizon. The Havana are on the Horizon is far superior to the other two ships. Havana is a great area but Mardi Gras is a great ship. Tough choice. Enjoy!

^^^^   This.  

Mardi Gras (or any Excel class ship) would be my first choice (again), BUT as you said, the Havana cabanas (say that eight times fast 🙂 ) should be avoided on those.   The Havana area on the Excel class looks to have been an afterthought. 

Vista/Horizon/Panorama Havana cabins are a much better choice.    (They'd better be; we have one booked on Horizon this year.)   Those ships also have a lot of "free"/included dining options....not as many as Mardi Gras, but a lot.  And those nice outdoor lanai areas are great, too.

We also liked the outside lanai sections on the Magic, so that class would, IMO, be a possibility.