New Canadian covid testing rules - how will Celebrity respond and when?

topsailgirl

I have a cruise coming up on celebrity going from Seward Alaska to Vancouver. When Canada announced its new rules this last Monday about testing prior to entry I was hoping that celebrity would respond to the new Canadian requirements. For example, celebrity’s pre-cruise testing procedure in terms of timing is different from Canada‘s. Whose timing rules control?

Next, I would like to hear how Celebrity is going to handle the testing requirements for disembarking in Vancouver. Are they going to test us all on board before we dock (the test has to be done at the very least the day before we dock so no dock-side testing.)Or are they just going to change disembarkation port?  This is a pretty crucial piece of info.  I have not found an answer to either question on Celebrity website. Has anyone here heard anything?

We have a cruise leaving from Vancouver in April and received a notification from Celebrity yesterday.  All the departure information included referenced leaving from the US not Canada. I need a facepalm emoji!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IceChick said:

We have a cruise leaving from Vancouver in April and received a notification from Celebrity yesterday.  All the departure information included referenced leaving from the US not Canada. I need a facepalm emoji!

OH, say what?!  So have they officially made a change, is departure now Seattle, not Vancouver?  We have lots of skin in this game as well......

I think Celebrity is holding as long as they can on things as Canada and US rules are rapidly changing.   March 18 was the hope of dropping the masks on airplanes for the US but that just got extended another month, there are rumours in Canada that testing may get relaxed again in April.   It is a waiting game on what will be required when.   Being their first cruises are still a few weeks out things could be different.

1 hour ago, topsailgirl said:

I have a cruise coming up on celebrity going from Seward Alaska to Vancouver. When Canada announced its new rules this last Monday about testing prior to entry I was hoping that celebrity would respond to the new Canadian requirements. For example, celebrity’s pre-cruise testing procedure in terms of timing is different from Canada‘s. Whose timing rules control?

Next, I would like to hear how Celebrity is going to handle the testing requirements for disembarking in Vancouver. Are they going to test us all on board before we dock (the test has to be done at the very least the day before we dock so no dock-side testing.)Or are they just going to change disembarkation port?  This is a pretty crucial piece of info.  I have not found an answer to either question on Celebrity website. Has anyone here heard anything?

Obviously no one here knows how and when Celebrity will respond.  Those of you booked will very most likely know before anyone else.  Please let us know how and when they respond.

• Like 1

iceChick, It isn’t unusual to have incorrect information mysteriously appear in bookings.  Could you share the exact wording of the notification please.

also, did others on the Roll Call also receive this notification?

Edited by cruisestitch

I have not heard anything about them changing the departure port, it was just standard info included was all US and nothing on Canada, which was not helpful.

Dear Valued Guest, 

We look forward to welcoming you aboard for your upcoming Celebrity Cruises vacation. Before we set sail, we are sharing this overview of our Healthy at Sea protocols to ensure you enjoy a smooth boarding experience.

Vaccines

All guests who are eligible to be vaccinated must be fully vaccinated with all doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. Effective April 15, 2022, this will include all guests 5 years of age and older on sailings departing from the US. Guests with a mixed series of any two of the following vaccines taken within a minimum of 28 days between doses, will also be considered fully vaccinated: Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, AstraZeneca, Sinovac, Sinopharm or Covaxin. Youths who have received one dose of a vaccine (other than Johnson & Johnson) will not be considered fully vaccinated. COVID-19 Booster Vaccine shots are not currently required to sail on Celebrity Cruises.

Pre-Cruise Testing

For sailings departing the U.S. through April 30, 2022, all vaccinated guests are required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either an Antigen or PCR test, conducted within two days of boarding the ship. Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as covering all associated costs. 

Beginning with sailings departing on or after March 18, 2022, guests who have recently recovered from COVID-19 may present a Certificate of Recovery and proof of the positive PCR test result taken between 11-90 days prior to the sail date for boarding. We will not accept a Certificate of Recovery in place of a vaccination record. All guests eligible to be vaccinated must continue to show proof of full vaccination. Additionally, please be aware that some ports of call do not accept a Certificate of Recovery for the purposes of debarking and enjoying the destination. For more details on Certificate of Recovery requirements, please visit our Healthy at Sea FAQs on our website at celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs.

Unvaccinated children under the age of 11 prior to April 15 and under the age of 5 on April 15 and later will be required to bring a negative PCR test conducted within three days of boarding. These guests will be given an additional Antigen test at the terminal prior to embarkation as well as on the day before disembarkation. A registration link for required testing at the terminal will be sent separately. Please note, unvaccinated guests cannot be tested twice in one day as it may affect the accuracy of their test results, therefore the COVID-19 PCR test required before arriving at the terminal cannot be taken on boarding day.

Convenient Testing Options

Monitored Self-Test Kit - Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card:

Approved Self-Test Kits are available for order pre-cruise for fully vaccinated guests. Complete your pre-cruise test kit at home or any place of your choosing with the help of live video supervision by a Certified Guide. Your results will be ready within 15 minutes. ORDER HERE

Concierge Testing Service:

In partnership with Bio-reference, a concierge testing option is also available. Bio-reference will send a qualified medical technician to your home, office, hotel, or any place you choose, to perform the test. Your results will be ready in about 48 hours. RESERVE HERE

Guests arriving at the terminal without a negative COVID-19 test result or valid Certificate of Recovery may be denied boarding. 

While Onboard

Face masks will be optional on board for all vaccinated guests.  Masks will continue to be required for unvaccinated guests at all times indoors, except while eating or drinking. This policy is re-evaluated on a continuous basis and any updates will be shared with our guests.

Home Country Re-Entry Testing

All fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will have the opportunity to receive testing in the cruise port during disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation is required. Details on testing registration will be provided onboard. Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked prior to November 16, 2021.  For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, testing will be available for a per person fee.

For details on all of our current health and safety protocols please visit www.healthyatsea.com. We thank you in advance for your cooperation with these important guidelines, designed with the health and safety of everyone onboard as our top priority. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide.

Sincerely,  

Celebrity Cruises

It appears that you jumped the gun in assuming that you will be leaving from the US just on the basis of this letter.  

Many of us have received letters that were not germane  to the trips we were booked on.  

In this fluid situation, it looks like they sent you some generic travel information and you should expect specific instructions for Canada departures eventually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, topsailgirl said:

We're on the 04/20/22 Summit Seward to Vancouver cruise and waiting to see what Celebrity will do too.

• Like 1

I have an interest in this as well.We have a land/cruise coming up in July.It.s an 18 day land first going from Vancouver up through the Yukon back into Alaska and down to Whitter to get on the cruise ship.I can't find any informative information as to how many covid test we will have to take during the 18 days? Who will pay for the quaratine for 14 days if we test positive? Let alone going on ARRIVCAN to let Canada know our travel plans for entering and leaving.This is giving me axniety! Seems like too many hoops to go through just to go to Alaska and Canada!!!

26 minutes ago, Harrylinden said:

I have an interest in this as well.We have a land/cruise coming up in July.It.s an 18 day land first going from Vancouver up through the Yukon back into Alaska and down to Whitter to get on the cruise ship.I can't find any informative information as to how many covid test we will have to take during the 18 days? Who will pay for the quaratine for 14 days if we test positive? Let alone going on ARRIVCAN to let Canada know our travel plans for entering and leaving.This is giving me axniety! Seems like too many hoops to go through just to go to Alaska and Canada!!!

We are doing essentially the same thing but in June, on the Millie.  I honestly think that it's going to work out, Celebrity is aware, the details will be ironed out.  We just have to hold on, and all will be revealed in time.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

It appears that you jumped the gun in assuming that you will be leaving from the US just on the basis of this letter.  

Many of us have received letters that were not germane  to the trips we were booked on.  

In this fluid situation, it looks like they sent you some generic travel information and you should expect specific instructions for Canada departures eventually.

Many of us have also received letters for cruises we have cancelled! 🙄

• Like 1

Its not just Canada...We are booked on Apex 14 May out of Amsterdam for the British Isles

The Netherlands still has some of the more strict COVID entry protocols in the EU 

Everyone is hoping for more sensible relaxed country's entry policies

Cruise lines in asking passengers to buck up & support them & their comeback need to assure passengers they have their backs with supportive policies up front as some have but only until 30 APR 2022

As of 12 Mar 2022 Celebrity website;

"Covid-19 Assistance

Book a Celebrity cruise that’s sailing on or before April 30, 2022 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.**
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and homebound travel for you and your Traveling Party."

should things go COVID wrong for passengers at no fault of their own,  Cruise lines need to make them as whole as reasonably possible & extend this offer

On 3/11/2022 at 4:40 PM, Harrylinden said:

I have an interest in this as well.We have a land/cruise coming up in July.

You may as well be asking about 2030. July is an age away when it comes to covid requirements. 

On 3/11/2022 at 5:40 PM, Harrylinden said:

If you break this down according to current policies you're looking the following testing:
Entry into Canada - Antigen test

Entry into Alaska - Antigen test? Not sure what the US policy is for American citizens

Guessing you'll be disembarking in Vancouver - Antigen test. Based on the latest press release from the Canadian gov't this is the cruise line's responsibility.

As for quarantine, it depends on when you test positive.

If your doing the land portion on your own then it would be on you. If it's through some tour operator, you should see what their policies are.

If you test positive while on the cruise, again based on the gov't press release, the cruise line is responsible for arranging accommodations. However, what wasn't specified in the announcement is whether the cruise line is picking up the tab for quarantine which is now 10 days instead of 14.

But as another poster said, a lot more could change between now and July.

We'll be tracking this closely as we have a closed loop Alaska cruise out of Vancouver in Aug.