Undiagnosed Medical Condition

himan

Does anyone know if it is possible to cruise with Princess (UK) with an undiagnosed medical condition. My wife has a couple of conditions that have been diagnosed and are now cleared up which we have declared and insurance covers. However she is waiting for a test regarding what the GP thinks is a bit of hard cartilage at base of her sternum which just gives her slight irritation from time to time. I have had to declare this to travel insurance and on the certificate it says 

"We are unable to offer cover for your as yet undiagnosed condition. I am wondering if it is possible Princess may let us cruise if we explain that it is more of an irritation issue and nothing serious.

The issue is that Princess require you to have insurance. It is a yes/no question, with a yes/no answer.

Have you asked your insurance company fir cover, but exclude cover for your wife's condition.

That is what we do for my wife's blood condition. 

Thanks for your reply. and I am clear about the insurance requirements. Only thing I am curious about is the undiagnosed condition which may not even be a condition. She is covered for all pre-existing conditions which is basically 1 condition that has now cleared up after treatment. I am not sure if Princess will say that we need a definite diagnosis or nothing found diagnosis and that is what I need to find out as we have lost £4000 from a cruise last year and no way am I gonna lose another £6000 this year due to small print.

Maybe this is a UK thing?

I don't understand the problem

If there is no diagnosis then the condition doesn't exist and I wouldn't mention it

No one at Princess has ever asked us about our health except for covid questions

Your issue is with your insurance company and not with Princess at all

I have learned that one should not volunteer extra information 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, riffatsea said:

If there is no diagnosis then the condition doesn't exist and I wouldn't mention it

No one at Princess has ever asked us about our health except for covid questions

I follow the same criteria but after having an insurance claim rejected last year which has cost us £4000 as they said we never notified them of the condition my wife had that caused us to cancel. Not being a doctor myself and the correct diagnosis only coming about 7 weeks after we should have sailed I think they are coming it.  I feel it better to be as honest as possible as when it comes to a claim there is not an insurance company in business that will try their best to avoid paying out. I have spoken with Princess and they confirm that we will not be declined boarding if it states on Insurance that undiagnosed conditions are not covered. In theory everyone that cruises is in the position of sailing with undiagnosed conditions as most people don't go to the doc with the slightest thing, myself included.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EDDY0827 said:

"I have learned that one should not volunteer extra information ."

Sage advice, NEVER volunteer answers to questions not asked.

As they say, "Loose lips sink ships." Button your lip.

As answered above, I follow the same theory but if they can cop out of paying they will and should you need to claim they may well contact your doctor and then that's when they will start getting real awkward. I am beginning to think the whole insurance thing is a scam. The company we were previously insured with for this cruise even made us declare wifes varicose vein op from 30 years previously and refused to cover declared medical conditions in last 2 years and this included anything related to circulation problems. Like I say, they look for the least little thing but using stuff from 30 years ago is takin it to extremes. Needless to say I cancelled that insurance today after taking out insurance yesterday with a different provider.

• Like 1

It sounds like your insurance is very different than ours

Many of our policies are just the opposite and don't cover PRE existing known conditions

They never say that new unknown conditions aren't covered

If you've never had heart problems but get a heart attack before the cruise then that is a new condition and it would be covered under all of our insurance

Interesting to learn about international variations

I do not think there is such a thing as Princess (UK) as an entity.  Not sure if you mean a British Isles cruise. If this is the situation you have the NHS at UK ports.  The quality and extent of cover insurance offers is not investigated by the cruise line but the onus is on the  passenger to incur the loss if cover is inadequate. I have always put my insurance reference numbers, company and emergency contact phone number on the website and that is the end of it.

Regards John

• Haha 1

This is a Baltic cruise and I have never worried about insurance in the past having always taken it out and never needing to claim. It is the hassle we have had when making a genuine claim last year with one of the best rated companies that makes me think if you don't tell them every little thing from the minor to the major they will get their claims handlers to wiggle out of paying out. This is from personal experience and also reviews on Trustpilot of the same claims handling company. Thankfully the company we are now insured with has a different underwriter, but tbh I hope we never have to claim and in fact I think I would rather pay to get us home myself if anything should happen and we could fly as normal rather than jump through the 101 hoops thet the companies demand only to have it rejected because you forgot to mention an ingrown toe nail!

On 3/12/2022 at 7:40 AM, riffatsea said:

That is not entirely true in Canada anyways. I was booked on a dream vacation and ended up cancelling because I went for an annual Dr. appointment and was booked for an angiogram. Dr didn't really think I needed it but "just to be sure" . Since it wasn't urgent the appointment was 10 months out. I contacted the insurance and was told no coverage for any heart related problem. I argued that I have no problem until I have the test. I was told it was under investigation and therefore no coverage. I offered to pay an additional premium and was told I was uninsurable and would be for 6 months after test results were negative. Withholding the pending test from the insurance company would have ended in denied claim.

So depending on what your test is for you have to weight the risk.