Wonder if the Seas - Beware - No WiFi Calling

On 3/13/2022 at 9:53 AM, John&LaLa said:

T-Mobile is great for us, but won't penetrate the radiant barrier in my roof. No biggie, Wi-Fi calling solves the problem.

We have the Techshield radiant barrier on our roof too. It's coupled no Verizon towers in the center part of our Sun City.  That's why we started using WiFi calling.  I was surprised to find out that I could use WiFi calling on the ship in early 2020.  I haven't had any trouble since the re-start on Allure and Harmony.  I had a Iphone 13 pro on my HM cruise in January and had not trouble.  We sail on Wonder in December 2022 and February 2023 so I will watch for updates on WiFi calling on WN.   

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 7:50 PM, Charles4515 said:

Wonder of the Seas is a Royal Caribbean ship and was originally intended to homeport in Shnghai and Hong Kong. 

Maybe this has something to do with problems with WIFI calling on Wonder. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2022 at 8:30 AM, DeputyDawg46 said:

Thanks for authenticating what I’ve been saying. I have yet to find one person on this cruise that can use WiFi calling, no matter what the carrier is. Those being able to call either have a paid plan otherwise or are using an app. I haven’t tried the iPad although I don’t have service with it. 

I don’t have service on my iPad either.  But I have wifi calling enabled.  My guess is that the wifi calling worked BECAUSE it isn’t connected to a carrier!  Just saying…

3 hours ago, JsMom2 said:

I don’t have service on my iPad either.  But I have wifi calling enabled.  My guess is that the wifi calling worked BECAUSE it isn’t connected to a carrier!  Just saying…

I'm a little confused.  did you have WiFi calling on your phone?  But not on your IPad,

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Sounds like they do not have a sim card in their iPad.  Either just don't have one, or it is a wifi only iPad

You can do WIFi calling on a WiFi only iPad as long as you have an iPhone and that iPhone has WiFi calling turned on. I have WiFi calling turned on my Mac too. So I can answer call on the Mac which has no cellular modem. You also have to have Continuity turned on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Where on that page does it discuss WiFi calling?  I didn't see it.

I might need to stand to be corrected.  Double checking.  Maybe what I found is actually cell coverage.

sorry about that, looks like my reference was for cellular on the ships.

in the faq it states this which made me assume WiFi calling.

• How can I tell if I am on a ship’s wireless network versus a wireless network in an international country?
    Be aware that cruise ships are required to turn off their wireless networks when they are 9-12 nautical miles from land and while in port. Also: 
    • When the ship's wireless network is on, your device will indicate you’re roaming on its network by showing Cellular at Sea, 901-18, or NOR-18 in your display.
    • When your device is roaming on a land-based carrier, it displays the land carrier's network information.

Edited by BoomerangThree
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

You can do WIFi calling on a WiFi only iPad as long as you have an iPhone and that iPhone has WiFi calling turned on. I have WiFi calling turned on my Mac too. So I can answer call on the Mac which has no cellular modem. You also have to have Continuity turned on.

An iPhone with WiFi calling enabled is what I use all the time.  I was surprised when I was able to make a call on the ship using WiFi calling.  I need WiFi calling at home because the reception is bad where my house is and we have a tech shield radiant barrier.  We have Verizon.  I have used WiFi calling on Oasis, Harmony and Allure.  I would be disappointed if we could not use this on Wonder.  We are booked on that ship in December 2022 and February 2023.

40 minutes ago, SherriZ366 said:

I would be disappointed if we could not use this on Wonder.  We are booked on that ship in December 2022 and February 2023.

One thing gou have going for you is that your sailings are some months away. Unless they don't plan to resolve the issue there  lot of time for it to be fixed. 

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

One thing gou have going for you is that your sailings are some months away. Unless they don't plan to resolve the issue there  lot of time for it to be fixed. 

Thanks for the encouragement!!  😀

This is what I received as part of an email from the Wonder of the Seas IT Manger today whom I have been working with to resolve this issue. He has coordinated with several external offices to help resolve this issue on this ship and very supportive of acquiring a solution.  Whatever they have done has resolved the issue as of today for the 3 iPhones in my family.  Hopefully, this will work on future cruise on this ship. I’ll know again on the TA later this month.

From the IT Manager….

After some more troubleshooting, my contacts made some changes and asked me to test again with my devices and I was able to make few wifi calls successfully, so I was wondering if you want to give it another shot and see if this works for you as well. 

I would suggest the following process: 

• disconnect your phone by going to logout.com
  • reboot the phone
  • reconnect to wifi-guest-wonder
  • connect to internet using your user name and password
  • toggle off/on the wifi calling feature
  • after 2-3 min try to make a wifi call
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 5:41 PM, SherriZ366 said:

I'm a little confused.  did you have WiFi calling on your phone?  But not on your IPad,

I have wifi calling enabled on my ipad, but I don't have cell service on my ipad.  Calls will usually go to both my phone and ipad at the same time,  but on the ship, they would only come in on the ipad.

16 hours ago, DeputyDawg46 said:

This is what I received as part of an email from the Wonder of the Seas IT Manger today whom I have been working with to resolve this issue. He has coordinated with several external offices to help resolve this issue on this ship and very supportive of acquiring a solution.  Whatever they have done has resolved the issue as of today for the 3 iPhones in my family.  Hopefully, this will work on future cruise on this ship. I’ll know again on the TA later this month.

From the IT Manager….

After some more troubleshooting, my contacts made some changes and asked me to test again with my devices and I was able to make few wifi calls successfully, so I was wondering if you want to give it another shot and see if this works for you as well. 

• reboot the phone

Glad to hear they are working on it, and this isn't the wave of the future.  I tried the fix above on the inaugural multiple times with no luck.  So if it's working now, then they've made some adjustments.  Nice!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, DeputyDawg46 said:

From the IT Manager….

• reboot the phone

The instruction to disconnect the phone by going to logout.com -- is that to disconnect from the ship's WiFi

5 hours ago, JsMom2 said:

I have wifi calling enabled on my ipad, but I don't have cell service on my ipad.  Calls will usually go to both my phone and ipad at the same time,  but on the ship, they would only come in on the ipad.

thanks

22 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

The instruction to disconnect the phone by going to logout.com -- is that to disconnect from the ship's WiFi

To disconnect from Wi-Fi you either turn off Wi-Fi on the device or forget the ship’s Wi-Fi. 
Going to logout.com in the browser just disconnects the VOOM connection but you are still connected to Wi-Fi ( so you can use the app). 

On the 3/11 Wonder sailing my daughters and I had no issues with Wi-Fi Calling and our service is with T-Mobile. I have a Samsung 222 Ultra (unlocked) and my daughters are both using iPhone 12's. No issues or problems making or receiving calls.

My friend and his wife were also sailing and the both had the same issues others have experienced with not being able to use Wi-Fi calling. They were both using AT&T with iPhone 12's. Each time they went and complained they would get some BS story from the communications officer at the internet desk. 

On 4/1/2022 at 12:53 PM, JsMom2 said:

Even though my iPad has it owns SIM card, if I log in for iMessaging on my iPad, the phone only rings on the iPad and not on my phone.

Strange.