ANYONE ELSE IN THIS SITUATION?

38 minutes ago, rennyn said:

She can get vaccinated, too. Problem solved.

20 minutes ago, Ashland said:

OP can move the cruise out and have both kids vaccinated by the time that cruise sails.

28 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Do your kids have real medical exemptions from being vaccinated?  If not, you can remedy the situation by simply having the kids vaccinated.

Don't think vaccinating the kids is an option for the OP.  Unless they are not vaccinated for medical or religious  reasons, seems like they would be vaccinated by now.     OP's  decision and none  of our business and reason not offered  by the OP.  I understand exemptions are hard to come by and take a good bit of time.  

Even if they got on board, several of the ports have restrictions for non vaccinated. That might be another hurdle for the OP. 

The cruise is less than 5 weeks away but none of the vaccination requirements should be a surprise to  the OP.  They have been in place for months, almost a year.    I would  take my losses and  forget  cruising for a while.   

Haven't followed the cruise with confidence but can't the OP cancel? 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Hi again.  I've read all the responses.  Thank you for the feedback.  Like I said.  When I initially booked this cruise in November of 2019 Covid wasn't around.  If it were I would not have booked a cruise.  Royal has canceled 2 cruises on me so far due to Covid.  At this point I just want a refund.  I'm not trying to turn this into a Vaccination debate, I just wanted to know what my options were.  Seems like I have 2.  Pay the final payment,  and wait for them to extend the Vaccine requirement for cruises past April 14th.  (We're scheduled to sail on 4/17)  and request a refund.

or

Take another FCC extend it until the end of the year and hope the vaccine requirements go away by then.  Or leave the kids home.

23 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

They policy is the policy,,, and has not changed much (except to get a little less restrictive). The OP has made choices. And made final payment. Waiting until it is "too late" to make a decision, then complaining is just silly. 

I didn't make final payment yet and it is not "too late" to make a decision.  Thanks for your help though.

48 minutes ago, huntr104 said:

Hi again.  I've read all the responses.  Thank you for the feedback.  Like I said.  When I initially booked this cruise in November of 2019 Covid wasn't around.  If it were I would not have booked a cruise.  Royal has canceled 2 cruises on me so far due to Covid.  At this point I just want a refund.  I'm not trying to turn this into a Vaccination debate, I just wanted to know what my options were.  Seems like I have 2.  Pay the final payment,  and wait for them to extend the Vaccine requirement for cruises past April 14th.  (We're scheduled to sail on 4/17)  and request a refund.

or

Take another FCC extend it until the end of the year and hope the vaccine requirements go away by then.  Or leave the kids home.

When Royal canceled your cruises weren't you offered the option of a full refund or a FCC?  

Another option maybe to ask for an extension to final payment if the updated H&S protocols haven't been issued by tomorrow?  I felt the same way, I didn't want to make my final payment without knowing what protocols I was agreeing to.  I doubt you are the only one with a sailing right after 4/14 with an upcoming payment date wanting to know the protocols.  When my travel agent called about my upcoming cruise, they were already prepared and told her my final payment date had been delayed.  My kids were adamant they would not go if masks were required. Fortunately for us, that requirement was lifted.  

https://corporate.walmart.com/covid19/vaccine

The website says they have the J&J vaccine, which is just one dose.  Call up every Walmart/Sam's Club and see if you can get an appointment specifically for the J&J shot.  You might even be able to get an appointment before the 18th.  If not, if you can get the appointment, you can double check with the pharmacy that they do have the J&J shot, which should give you some reasurance your son will be vaccinated before the cruise.

Edited by Qextor
  • Like 1

I looked further, and here is a link to upcoming vaccine clinics in RI offering the J&J shot.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSv20xMlWQJON8jXvPtzdAo1KU-Rr6Eu6u02nUuVEu-Bz2t_M6JBzYLfFaL_jPZqLiAQZVigFcssKwx/pubhtml

Yes, I know.... I have a habit of being overly helpful

Edited by Qextor
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 3:23 PM, klfrodo said:

I can’t have much sympathy when the OP tries to put 100% responsibility on the big bad corporation.

There are work arounds which the OP is unwilling to accept.

We all have choices to make in life. We all have battles in life. We also need to make wise choices on which battles we are willing to die on the hill for.

This would not be my choice of battles, but it’s not my battle.

Are you kidding me--battles in life.  WOW this is simply a business decision and not a battle of life or death.

She's not blaming anybody.  Things have changed and it's RCL/CDC that is not allowing the Op and family to cruise.  Therefore, a refund request is appropriate.  We are not talking about chump change for the Op to pi_s away.

Do you really think that if we had a crystal ball and saw the future which for the next 2 years to be grim, that anyone in their right mind would want FCCs with expiration dates instead of refunds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The kids in our group (8, 11, 15) are all vaccinated so I don’t have any direct experience here - but my advice from reading others posts here:

1) request a delayed final payment by 1 week to allow for review of H&S protocols

2) write to Michael Bayley or Alma at the email addresses provided with a calm/rational approach requesting your money back due to H&S protocols.

3) if you really want to cruise and have a medical exemption justification for your 12 year old, you can submit it and hope to get it.

also - I saw that you commented about your 8 yo needing a mask - but I thought that was only actually being required in the adventure ocean? 

8 minutes ago, Cel_cruise said:

3) if you really want to cruise and have a medical exemption justification for your 12 year old, you can submit it and hope to get it.

The OP is booked for an Easter cruise - highly unlikely they will grant a medical exemption for both children as I am sure they are already booked at the required 95/5% vaxxed/unvaxxed for this holiday sailing.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Qextor said:

I looked further, and here is a link to upcoming vaccine clinics in RI offering the J&J shot.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSv20xMlWQJON8jXvPtzdAo1KU-Rr6Eu6u02nUuVEu-Bz2t_M6JBzYLfFaL_jPZqLiAQZVigFcssKwx/pubhtml

Yes, I know.... I have a habit of being overly helpful

Children are not approved for the J&J vaccine. I think they are only allowed Pfizer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Qextor said:

The website says they have the J&J vaccine, which is just one dose.  Call up every Walmart/Sam's Club and see if you can get an appointment specifically for the J&J shot.  You might even be able to get an appointment before the 18th.  If not, if you can get the appointment, you can double check with the pharmacy that they do have the J&J shot, which should give you some reasurance your son will be vaccinated before the cruise.

J&J is only available for adults 18+. It's not an option for a 12-yr-old. Pfizer is the only vaccine available for a 12-yr-old, and it will take 5 weeks to become fully vaccinated.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

J&J is only available for adults 18+. It's not an option for a 12-yr-old. Pfizer is the only vaccine available for a 12-yr-old, and it will take 5 weeks to become fully vaccinated.

Right.  I didn't check that.  Here's a FAQ though that may help: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/do-i-need-a-covid-vaccine-to-cruise-what-counts-as-proof#14days

Basically it says If your kid can't get vaxxed in time for the cruise, it can be moved to a later date or a full refund. Whether any RCL associates and managers know this FAQ exists let alone choose to follow it is doubtful, though.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Qextor said:

Right.  I didn't check that.  Here's a FAQ though that may help: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/do-i-need-a-covid-vaccine-to-cruise-what-counts-as-proof#14days

Basically it says If your kid can't get vaxxed in time for the cruise, it can be moved to a later date or a full refund. Whether any RCL associates and managers know this FAQ exists let alone choose to follow it is doubtful, though.

Still not helpful. :classic_huh:

FYI, I just got an email with the healthy sailing protocols for cruises departing after March 18th, so you should be able to request a refund now because it requires a vaccine for everyone 12 and older and masks for kids under 11 if not vaccinated. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 6:29 PM, nelblu said:

Are you kidding me--battles in life.  WOW this is simply a business decision and not a battle of life or death.

She's not blaming anybody.  Things have changed and it's RCL/CDC that is not allowing the Op and family to cruise.  Therefore, a refund request is appropriate.  We are not talking about chump change for the Op to pi_s away.

Do you really think that if we had a crystal ball and saw the future which for the next 2 years to be grim, that anyone in their right mind would want FCCs with expiration dates instead of refunds.

Thank you.  I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from.  

I called once again Wednesday night.  They updated certain protocols but they did not extend the April 14th date.  I told the RCI rep that it didn't make any sense to pay my final payment only for them to refund me a week or two later when they extend the vaccine requirement past April 14th.(which he said was not going away anytime soon)  He understood and checked with other departments.  After 2 hours of being on hold and back and forth, my cruise was canceled and I was issued a full refund.  I should receive it in 30-45 days.

A few things I will do in the future is...I will never book a non-refundable cruise again and I'll always use a Travel Agent.  Although I always liked booking them myself, I don't want to have to go thru all this trouble again.  I don't blame RCI.  I will sail with them again.  To the people with negative comments.  Just remember,  I originally booked a cruise months before Covid was even heard of and tried to keep the hope alive of finally getting back on a cruise ship. Remember "Two weeks to flatten the curve"??   I would have never booked a cruise if there were all these restrictions, mandates and hoops to jump thru.  We'll cruise again, hopefully sooner rather than later.  Actually, we would have gone on this cruise if they allowed my kids to sail with an attestation due to recovery from covid.  They do not accept this unfortunately. Anyway....

Thanks again and Happy Cruising to all

• Like 1