How are the Swans doing 2022??

This was always going to be a danger game. North have matched up well against the Swans over the last few years, and there's been a string of unusually close games between the two, regardless of how each side is going.

Scrappy, but I'll take the win. Still a lot to work on. When it works, it looks great.

• Like 2

Thanks for posting the scores everyone. I get email notifications about these posts and when I read them, I can feel the excitement build. It sounds like it was a great game, glad the Swans won but will losing Buddy hurt them? Is it a bad injury--I am going to google this but you probably all have better info!

Go Swans!

I went and checked--looks like a broken finger, damage assessment on Monday but Buddy is out for a couple of weeks anyway 😞 And then they lost  Paddy McCartin at the end of the game. Uh oh, Swans are dropping like flies.

Go Swans!

The Swans were making some pretty simple mistakes at times which was keeping the room in it. They really need to play consistently (well) if they want to make the finals. Still early days in regards to turning their form positively. The injury to buddy probably won't  hurt too much although he is a focal point and a handful for the defences.

• Like 1

You wouldn't think that a 63-point win would be slightly disappointing, but here we are 😄

No honestly, it was a great effort to go all the way over to Perth and beat the Eagles by 10 goals. We still have a lot to work on - a lot of over-possessing the ball and trying to be too cute, leading to many turnovers - but the overall performance was good.  We absorbed the pressure that we knew would come, and dug in and got the win.

Wow,  for some reason, I thought the Swans were off this week. Thanks for posting Mic. I'll take any win; wish we could bank some of those 63 points for future use 😀 Were they being too cute because they had a big lead or just lost their focus?

Go Swans!

18 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Wow,  for some reason, I thought the Swans were off this week. Thanks for posting Mic. I'll take any win; wish we could bank some of those 63 points for future use 😀 Were they being too cute because they had a big lead or just lost their focus?

Go Swans!

Perhaps both.

3 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Go Swans!

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Perhaps both.

We were out for dinner so only saw the last quarter and a bit. Yes, seemed both, although Eagles really came at them and the Swans seemed to lose their way.

• Like 1

I think the key is that it's a young side that's still figuring out how to play together.

From last year's best 22, it's missing Franklin, Hickey, Kennedy, Dawson, Hewett. Compared to the West Coast team, we had 11 players with under 50 games experience compared to 8. You've got really exciting kids like Gulden, Campbell, McDonald, and they'll bring a spark and excitement but also they won't be switched on that entire time.

I think what happened last night was that West Coast got their act together after halftime and played with a bit of belief to try and win back a bit of pride. Some of the cute stuff that worked in the first quarter when the Eagles were in disarray was no longer working, and it took the kids 10-15 minutes to figure that out. 

So IMO not a big deal.  I think what's more telling is not how the team plays when they're on top, but when they are struggling and being challenged.  The leaders stood up and wrestled back control. In the end, 63 points was probably a fair result.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the scores Mic. We had friends over for dinner last night and I completely forgot about the Swans 😲 As I read thru my emails with your posts, I thought for sure the Swans were going to lose so I was happily surprised when they won. Sounds like it was a real ripper of a game (is that proper Australian???).Swans are providing a lot of excitement so far this season.

Playing Brisbane next will be tough-and I picked Brisbane to win it all.

Go Swans!