Anchorage/Vancouver + Post Cruise Tour Calgary?

lyndarra

ATM we are looking at a cruise tour Fairbanks/Anchorage/Vanvouver, Nieuw Amsterdam, for June 5 2023. Would like to do a 7 day post cruise tour combining coach and Via Rail to Calgary.

In case I missed it does HAL have such an option? If not, can anyone recommend a tour company that can do this? We will be flying back to Oz from Calgary and  a couple travelling with us will be flying on to France hence the need for a West/East itinerary.

Thanks in advance

Edited by lyndarra

We are doing a similar journey in late August.  It is easy to set up on your own but I used my sister’s agency.  The outifit is Rocky Mountaineer.  The train/bus tour starts in Vancouver and ends in Calgary.  If you want email me from my email in signature and I can show you my Moutaineer itinerary.  It includes hotels, transport and many excursions

Yes, the Rocky Mountaineer has tours that connect with HAL cruises, at least they used to before Covid.  I highly recommend the Rocky Mountaineer over Via Rail.  The RM is likely more expensive than Via but one travels during daylight hours which doesn’t happen with Via Rail.  You'd be travelling the most scenic parts of the Rockies in the dark with Via.  

• Like 1

Via goes to Edmonton via Jasper, not Calgary. If you want Calgary, as suggested take the Rocky Mountaineer. We did it last September. Stayed in Banff afterwards and then took the shuttle to Calgary Airport.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 1:42 PM, john2003 said:

Via goes to Edmonton via Jasper, not Calgary. If you want Calgary, as suggested take the Rocky Mountaineer. We did it last September. Stayed in Banff afterwards and then took the shuttle to Calgary Airport.

Thanks. I'm aware Via goes Vancouver/Whistler which would fit our plans. 

Thank you for the replies. 

I have been searching for a TA that can do a package similar to one I did back in 2015 IIRC, however I am unable to remember who I booked it through. After doing more research I have, by Design, found a Canada TA that seems to have a Majestic tour however they don't have any dates fo Jun 2023 as yet. I've contacted others but still waiting for replies.

As for the cruise/tour, 14 day Yukon/Denmali June 4 2023 Y2c looks like the one we may be doing.

We did the Rocky Mountaineer with an overnight in Kamloops.  We went the other way but well worth seeing the Canadian Rockies and you can end your trip in Calgary.    In Calgary you may want to see if they are going to have any rodeos. The big one is in July but they are known for the rodeo.  

Edited by tupper10
more infomation

9 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Hopefully, you meant to say Jasper instead of Whistler as Via does not go to Whistler.

You are quite right, I did mean Jasper. Old timers strikes again.

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

You are quite right, I did mean Jasper. Old timers strikes again.

May I suggest that you consider, if you haven’t already done so, renting a car in Jasper, driving down the Columbia Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93) to Lake Louise and Banff and spending a few days touring about before heading to Calgary for your home bound flights?  Calgary is also worth a few days, especially if you were to time your trip with the Calgary Stampede (July 7-16/23) but it sounds like you’re planning a two week trip, including the cruise, in early June so being in Calgary for the Stampede isn’t likely doable.  Just thought I’d mention it in case you were flexible in your timing and wanted to see the Stampede.  

17 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

May I suggest that you consider, if you haven’t already done so, renting a car in Jasper, driving down the Columbia Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93) to Lake Louise and Banff and spending a few days touring about before heading to Calgary for your home bound flights?  Calgary is also worth a few days, especially if you were to time your trip with the Calgary Stampede (July 7-16/23) but it sounds like you’re planning a two week trip, including the cruise, in early June so being in Calgary for the Stampede isn’t likely doable.  Just thought I’d mention it in case you were flexible in your timing and wanted to see the Stampede.  

Thanks for the suggestion. We were going to do that in 2020 but we all know what happened back then. Now looking at alternatives. 

Our trip will be about three weeks Alaska/Cruise (14 days)/Canada (7 days) but we have flexibilty as we are all retired. We know of the Stampede but haven't considered including it as it's in July as you mentioned.

Edited by lyndarra

Still checking options. Self drive is now looking more attractive, especially pricewise. I have found an operator that has daily packages from Vancouver so no need to match up start dates post cruise which allows some flexibility enabling a longer stay in Vancouver if desired. The package includes car rental, accomodation, park entry fees and selected excursions which take in the most popular attractions and sites.

One possible problem will be who, of the four of us, will do the driving.😁🙄

Are you thinking of driving from Vancouver rather than taking the train?  If so, plan on that drive taking two days.  It can be done in one day but it’s a long day, especially if only one driver.  Yes, it will be less expensive but the driver will have a less enjoyable experience.  Sometimes it’s worth paying more so that all can enjoy the trip.  If this is your only trip to Canada, I suggest you splurge a bit.  If it’s not within the budget, then at least pay extra to have two drivers on the rental car.  Some of that drive (Revelstoke to Lake Louise) is tricky although the most dangerous part is being improved upon.  I'll have to research a bit to find out when the construction is expected to be completed.  

Looks like the construction will continue into 2024, at least for the Kicking Horse project which is the more dangerous part I mentioned.  Apparently there is a massive project to twin the highway between Kamloops and the Alberta border.  More info on this website:  https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation-projects/highway1-kamloops-alberta

Lots of heavy mountain construction on the Trans-Canada (Highway 1).

You would be driving on the scary/cliff side of the highway heading East.

So whoever would be driving should be comfortable with heights.

If you get stuck in construction traffic just switch the engine off and wait. 

You could be stopped for half an hour. 

Might suggest you take the Crows Nest Pass (Highway 3) which pops out near Waterton Lakes National Park then up to Calgary. 

Or you can leave the Crows Nest Pass at Cranbrook and go up to Radium and take highway 93 up to Lake Louise. Then over to Banff/Canmore/Calgary. You can stop for a dip at Radium Hot Springs. Look out for the bighorn sheep. Gorgeous drive. 

Likely 2-3 day drive.

If your heart is set on Lake Louise you will want to do some research.

Parking is limited and there is a shuttle available.

Not sure how much it costs or what's involved. 

Go early when the sun is shining on the glacier across Lake Louise.

Nice walking trail on right side of Lake Louise.

Recommend Trailhead Café at the bottom of Lake Louise Drive off Highway 1 for breakfast, trail snacks, lunch. 🙂

To be honest I think the train is a better option for you to get from Vancouver to the Rockies.  If you have loads of time then perhaps you can train to Calgary and rent your car and head back up to Banff, Lake Louse and Jasper and then back down to Calgary to return the car and fly home.  Or if you want to get off the train at Jasper and then rent a car.  There is so much to see in the Canadian Rockies I would suggest you spend a few days in Jasper, at least a day in Lake Louise and a few days in Banff.  You can also book an actual glacier walk in the Icefields which is well worth it.    

• Like 1

I wouldn't spend more than a couple of hours in Banff. Too crowded. Especially in the summer. 

However the Banff Gondola is a worthwhile stop. 

Jasper is excellent if you have the time. It takes a full day to drive from Lake Louise up to Jasper with a stop at the Columbia Icefield ($$). There is also the glass-floored Columbia Icefield Skywalk ($$). If I could only pick one I would do the bus up to the top of the Columbia Icefield. 

The Rocky Mountaineer is expensive but worthwhile if you can afford it. 

Driving the Canadian Rockies is awesome but a lot of stretches require the driver's full attention.

VIA Rail is wonderful but it is an overnighter and goes through Jasper then Edmonton which is several hours north of Calgary. 

There is also Brewster Sightseeing motor coaches/buses. 

On 4/9/2022 at 11:34 AM, tupper10 said:

To be honest I think the train is a better option for you to get from Vancouver to the Rockies.  If you have loads of time then perhaps you can train to Calgary and rent your car and head back up to Banff, Lake Louse and Jasper and then back down to Calgary to return the car and fly home.  Or if you want to get off the train at Jasper and then rent a car.  There is so much to see in the Canadian Rockies I would suggest you spend a few days in Jasper, at least a day in Lake Louise and a few days in Banff.  You can also book an actual glacier walk in the Icefields which is well worth it.    

Thanks. Had considered that but half of my party of four will be flying on to Europe.

On 4/9/2022 at 10:47 AM, Alberta Quilter said:

Are you thinking of driving from Vancouver rather than taking the train?  If so, plan on that drive taking two days.  It can be done in one day but it’s a long day, especially if only one driver.  Yes, it will be less expensive but the driver will have a less enjoyable experience.  Sometimes it’s worth paying more so that all can enjoy the trip.  If this is your only trip to Canada, I suggest you splurge a bit.  If it’s not within the budget, then at least pay extra to have two drivers on the rental car.  Some of that drive (Revelstoke to Lake Louise) is tricky although the most dangerous part is being improved upon.  I'll have to research a bit to find out when the construction is expected to be completed.  

Planning for a week from Vancouver to Calgary. 

I have been to Canada before and done the trip from Calgary to Vancouver. Most of the way by coach, Banff, Icefields, Lake Louise etc., final day/night on Via Rail from Jasper.

I'm doing some of the research, final choice is up to the other three.

I have also previously done two Inside passage cruises including post cruise to Fairbanks so I can pass on some of what I experienced to the others.

I've lived in Calgary (born and raised in Montreal) for over 30 years (yikes!) and have had many friends and relatives visit.  You absolutely CAN'T GO WRONG spending your time along highway 93 between Jasper and Lake Louise.

If money is no object, the Rocky Mountaineer is by far the best way to travel between Vancouver and Jasper - 100% worth every penny.  

Then, if you can rent a vehicle between Jasper and Lake Louise - take your time to see the sights.  There are numerous lovely easy and less easy hikes/walks that should not be missed along that highway - Sunwapta Falls, Athabasca Falls, Peyto Lake are all very accessible and offer gorgeous views.  We also love the skywalk and if it is running again (or if you want to walk), you can take the Brewster bus to the Athabasca glacier.

Agree with the previous poster about Banff - it is so busy (although will be less so earlier in the season), and Lake Louise - but they are worth seeing too - the Chateau Lake Louise vista is beautiful. There is also a lovely hike around the lake.   If you want to stay overnight in a more quaint mountain town, Canmore is lovely. 

No matter what you choose to do, thank you for taking the time to see this part of our beautiful country!