Is Wonder the only Ship that has Pool Movie Screen over Central Park?

Loved the Live From Wonder threads last week!  What a beautiful ship. 

@twangster showed a video of the Pool Deck Movie screen, visible from CP.   But the kicker was the loud movie, heard all the down in Central Park, even to the other end.

Is Wonder the lone Oasis class where the Movie will impact CP tranquility and ambiance?

if you are booked in a Wonder CP balcony, does this change your mind about staying in that location?

Edited by ocean sounds
Typo

• ocean sounds changed the title to Is Wonder the only Ship that has Pool Movie Screen over Central Park?

The good news is that it is fixable.  If they limit movies so they end before 9pm when shows let out and people shift to Central Park to enjoy late evening it is possible to accommodate both the folks who want a pool deck movie and peaceful Central Park @ night.   

Thanks!  That is better news.   

really enjoyed your review!

edit-

On second thought, that’s really early to cut off movies (or sports events, playoffs, etc) at the pool.  

Edited by ocean sounds
Added

12 minutes ago, ocean sounds said:

Thanks!  That is better news.   

really enjoyed your review!

edit-

On second thought, that’s really early to cut off movies (or sports events, playoffs, etc) at the pool.  

Ok.  10pm 🤣

• Haha 1

Yes, it's the only Oasis class ship with a poolside movie screen like that. I had originally thought it sounded like a wonderful idea, as one of the things I miss from Freedom class ships is watching movies in/by the pool. I have fond memories of watching Ghostbusters with our kids while in the pool on Freedom in the summer of ... 2013, I think? It's been a while. But then I saw @twangster's video of how it affects Central Park and that is definitely a downside. We don't typically book CP balconies as we like being over the action on the Boardwalk, but even just for a peaceful evening's stroll in the park, getting a drink at the Trellis Bar, coming out of one of the SP restaurants, it seems like this must be disruptive of the ambience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

They could position speakers around the pool rather than relying on the speakers at the screen but Royal seems to have shifted lately.  It seems someone in the entertainment division is convinced LOUD is good. 

Make good entertainment, but more importantly make it LOUD, LOUD, LOUD!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, twangster said:

The good news is that it is fixable.  If they limit movies so they end before 9pm when shows let out and people shift to Central Park to enjoy late evening it is possible to accommodate both the folks who want a pool deck movie and peaceful Central Park @ night.   

But with longer days and later darkness, it will soon be not dark till near 10pm ship time.

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

Right.  Better not show movies at all.  🤣

That would be my choice if I were king.  While I understand that some find it entertaining to watch a movie on a cruise ship, I'll never understand why a cruise lines thinks it's good to pound a dadgum movie into everyone's head.

When we were recently on Liberty, the big pool screen was out of commission.  I was so flipping happy I could barely stand myself.

• Like 2

I miss those 2-3 channels of decent free second run movies on our cabin TV.  😞 

I am another one that thinks the loud movie screen ruins the quiet "park like" setting of Central Park on Wonder.  That should have stayed out at the Aqua Theater....IMHO.  Bet you don't see the iconic "pop up piano" guy we always used to enjoy in Central Park now.  

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, island lady said:

I miss those 2-3 channels of decent free second run movies on our cabin TV.  😞 

I am another one that thinks the loud movie screen ruins the quiet "park like" setting of Central Park on Wonder.  That should have stayed out at the Aqua Theater....IMHO.  Bet you don't see the iconic "pop up piano" guy we always used to enjoy in Central Park now.  

I would hate to have movies anytime in Central Park.  One of the best things about the Oasis class ships is that peaceful area.  We love to stroll through there at all times of the day.  Having a movie blasting would destroy the ambiance....

• Like 7

2 hours ago, twangster said:

They could position speakers around the pool rather than relying on the speakers at the screen but Royal seems to have shifted lately.  It seems someone in the entertainment division is convinced LOUD is good. 

OK this is my issue too! I always call down to guest services on sea days because you literally cannot escape the loud music and movies from the pool. My noise cancelling headphones aren't even a match! 

Background music is great. Music dominating an entire area is too much. Sometimes you can't even escape it by going way forward. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gracie115 said:

I would hate to have movies anytime in Central Park.  One of the best things about the Oasis class ships is that peaceful area.  We love to stroll through there at all times of the day.  Having a movie blasting would destroy the ambiance....

It's even worse on some Celebrity ships.  When we were on Reflection, we were dismayed to see that they put the stupid giant screen at The Lawn Club.  DW was enjoying a very lovely afternoon in one of the hammocks there when, all of a sudden, she's got speakers banging in her ears.  So much for the advertised "peace and quiet."

3 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

Background music is great. Music dominating an entire area is too much. Sometimes you can't even escape it by going way forward.

Hear, hear!  Playing movies or music at that level in public areas does not make anyone's experience better, but it sure can make someone's experience a lot worse.

• Like 1

The lack of a decent 2nd run or 3rd run movie is one of the biggest negatives we found cruising with RCL.

Carnival offered PPV in room.  RCL dug up some VHS tapes from the 1990s and pawned those off as Prime...

When we found out the screen wasn't working on Liberty and we were relegated to the OnAir lounge for movies, that's when I knew we'd probably switch back to Carnival for our next cruise.

33 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

I fully agree.  Even if it shut off at 10PM, what about eating dinner in CP.  I have always enjoyed it as a peaceful retreat during the day as well as the evening entertainment.  

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Couldn't believe it when twangster posted that video....awful!!  What was RCI (not) thinking!!  😮 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, twangster said:

@twangster you hit on my comment.  It's not the movies or the screen that's the problem, it is about speaker placement and direction.  Being it is a new design, with bugs I hope this is one of them.  Idea was good, just not the implentation that was at first a good idea.

49 minutes ago, island lady said:

BTW....something to post in our exit survey.  

Time for some squeeky wheels!!   

I've mentioned the volume and screens every cruise I've been on since they started putting up the screens, but they don't seem to listen.  Perhaps if they could if turned down the volume?