Juneau Whale Watch?

vanreg

We’ve done 2 with Juneau Whale Watch and will be doing a 3rd this May. Their boats are fast and the ones we’ve gone out on hold about 45 people. There was plenty of room for viewing from the rail on the lower and upper decks including bow and stern.  This is a larger boat than Harv n Marv/Jayleen and about ½ the size of Allen Marine. We’ve been out with the last 3 as well but feel Juneau Whale Watch provided a better experience.

On 3/14/2022 at 11:14 AM, Glaciers said:

We’ve done 2 with Juneau Whale Watch and will be doing a 3rd this May. Their boats are fast and the ones we’ve gone out on hold about 45 people. There was plenty of room for viewing from the rail on the lower and upper decks including bow and stern.  This is a larger boat than Harv n Marv/Jayleen and about ½ the size of Allen Marine. We’ve been out with the last 3 as well but feel Juneau Whale Watch provided a better experience.

To me 45 people is a large number of people on a whale watching boat.  I don't remember who did the trip that we went on but it only held maybe 12 or so people.

DON

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

To me 45 people is a large number of people on a whale watching boat.  I don't remember who did the trip that we went on but it only held maybe 12 or so people.

DON

Yes, it does seem like a lot. I think Gallant Adventures had a 12 passenger boat. After doing a few trips on the smaller boats we found Juneau Whale Watch boat to be a good size and better experience. We’ve also done the 100+ passenger Allen Marine vessels. That was too many people.

On 3/14/2022 at 11:14 AM, Glaciers said:

Why do you think Juneau Whale Watch was the better experience? We too are trying to decide between them and the smaller boats.

10 hours ago, realnice46 said:

Why do you think Juneau Whale Watch was the better experience? We too are trying to decide between them and the smaller boats.

The boats are faster than the smaller ones and much more stable. We were on one of the small boat tours once when it got rough and we had to transfer to a larger boat before going back to the dock. They canceled the next trip while the larger boats continued to go out. There are two decks with plenty of viewing room. Our trips out with them held about 45 people, much smaller than the Allen Marine vessels which we’ve done as well but only again if we have to. It was just too crowded.

They all get good reviews. You’ll see many who have gone out with one particular operator and had a good showing. That’s the best to them and they will promote it regardless of how many trips they’ve been on. I’ve not seen any difference in better sightings between one operator and the other; it’s more about comfort on the boat, for us. It was mentioned that time on the water is important, it is, and something that should be considered. We chose comfort and multiple trips.

• Like 2

My ship stops in Juneau on Friday, 6/3 from 1pm-10pm.  Looking at Juneau Whale Watch's website, at the Whale Watch and Mendenhall Glacier tour.  The latest check-in is 2:30; details say the tour is about 5 hours.  But it also says the last bus from the Glacier is 3 or 4 on Friday & Saturday.  How's that supposed to work?

I guess it won't.  Too bad.  I like the idea of a boat that size.  Don't want a tiny one as I'm a little concerned about motion issues.  Don't want the ship tour because it costs $220. 😒