Canada to USA Flight Documents

ALD18

On 3/14/2022 at 4:34 PM, Fouremco said:

Here's a link to the form:  https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/Combined-Passenger-Attestation-Amended-Testing-Order-12-02-2021-p.pdf. As you will see, although 7 pages in length, there is very little information required from the average traveller.

Thanks for the link. Only need to fill out our ARRIVECAN forms (before departure and another set for when we return) and I think we're all set.

6 minutes ago, NWT Cruiser said:

Thanks for the link. Only need to fill out our ARRIVECAN forms (before departure and another set for when we return) and I think we're all set.

As the name suggests ArriveCan is used for arriving in Canada. There is no need to fill it out before you depart from Canada. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

As the name suggests ArriveCan is used for arriving in Canada. There is no need to fill it out before you depart from Canada. 

45 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Thank you.  That's one less set of papers we need to fill out.

13 hours ago, gnome12 said:

According to: https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html, passengers sailing from Canada are expected to enter trip info into ArriveCAN prior to boarding.

image.png.dcacd55ef2d93e8aee91af6a0c6e4683.png

28 minutes ago, bigAWL said:

According to: https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html, passengers sailing from Canada are expected to enter trip info into ArriveCAN prior to boarding.

The section quoted is not specific to cruises departing Canada. It appears to be a summary of key points for voyages departing from Canada and arriving in Canada. Unless the GOC is requiring its testing rules for foreign departures travelling to Canada.

Further down the page ArriveCan is discussed in terms of passengers travelling to Canada.

Sadly GOC web pages are not known for clarity or brevity.

33 minutes ago, broberts said:

The section quoted is not specific to cruises departing Canada. It appears to be a summary of key points for voyages departing from Canada and arriving in Canada. Unless the GOC is requiring its testing rules for foreign departures travelling to Canada.

Further down the page ArriveCan is discussed in terms of passengers travelling to Canada.

Sadly GOC web pages are not known for clarity or brevity.

I did specify sailing from Canada, but I probably should not have.  I read the regulations to mean any ship arriving in Canada.  The top of the page talks about "welcoming  cruise ships back to our waters."  So, yes, I think GOC is imposing its testing requirements on foreign origin cruises if they want to come to Canada.  All mentions of ArriveCAN on that page suggest to me that ArriveCAN is required prior to any sailing that will finish in Canada.  So the previous poster, assuming he will arrive in Canada, will need to complete ArriveCAN prior to boarding.  That's my read, anyway.

29 minutes ago, bigAWL said:

I did specify sailing from Canada, but I probably should not have.  I read the regulations to mean any ship arriving in Canada.  The top of the page talks about "welcoming  cruise ships back to our waters."  So, yes, I think GOC is imposing its testing requirements on foreign origin cruises if they want to come to Canada.  All mentions of ArriveCAN on that page suggest to me that ArriveCAN is required prior to any sailing that will finish in Canada.  So the previous poster, assuming he will arrive in Canada, will need to complete ArriveCAN prior to boarding.  That's my read, anyway.

That's also my reading of the announcement. But that interpretation does not conform with current marine arrival language at https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html. There it indicates that marine arrivals may complete ArriveCan upon arrival.

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

That's also my reading of the announcement. But that interpretation does not conform with current marine arrival language at https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html. There it indicates that marine arrivals may complete ArriveCan upon arrival.

Yep.  They made a whole other regulation specific to cruise ships earlier this month, well after that page was drawn up.  I assume the cruise regulation takes precedence over the marine vessel language.

1 minute ago, bigAWL said:

Yep.  They made a whole other regulation specific to cruise ships earlier this month, well after that page was drawn up.  I assume the cruise regulation takes precedence over the marine vessel language.

Assuming is rarely safe when it comes to understanding government regulation. 😀

The web page you linked, in the ArriveCan section, it indicates specifically that the web based version of ArriveCan must be used. If one goes through the process and selects marine entry (no cruise ship distinction), the direction specifically advises the user to return if arrival is more than 72 hours out, i.e. the entry form cannot be completed more than 72 hours prior to arrival.

2 hours ago, bigAWL said:

However, the topic of this thread is about Canadians departing by plane to the US, and I responded to that case. 

46 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

However, the topic of this thread is about Canadians departing by plane to the US, and I responded to that case. 

Oops!  I guess I'm following too many COVID threads and got mixed up.  Sorry for my confusion!

I'm confused by all this. We are flying to Fort Lauderdale to board Celebrity Equinox and are traveling with a two year old child. On Celebrity a child  who  cannot be vaccinated must present a  negative PCR test within 72 hours of boarding. I've also read just recently that  to fly to the  U.S. you must present a negative test no more than a day before your flight departure. Is it possible to get results  from a PCR test in less than a day for our child? Is this protocol  still  in effect or does our child have  to have two separate  tests? I'm  not sure  if I  understand  this correctly.

1 hour ago, nauticalnuts said:

I'm confused by all this. We are flying to Fort Lauderdale to board Celebrity Equinox and are traveling with a two year old child. On Celebrity a child  who  cannot be vaccinated must present a  negative PCR test within 72 hours of boarding. I've also read just recently that  to fly to the  U.S. you must present a negative test no more than a day before your flight departure. Is it possible to get results  from a PCR test in less than a day for our child? Is this protocol  still  in effect or does our child have  to have two separate  tests? I'm  not sure  if I  understand  this correctly.

The need for one or two tests will depend on your travel arrangements.

Scenario One - You Fly to Fort Lauderdale One Day Before Embarkation

In this scenario, both you (antigen) and your child (PCR) get tested per Celebrities requirements early on the day before your flight. There are numerous locations that provide same day PCR results. With these in hand, you meet the requirements for the flight the following day and for embarkation the day after.

Scenario Two - You Fly to Fort Lauderdale Two Days Before Embarkation

If you are going to spend two nights in Fort Lauderdale before boarding, your child's test the day before your flight will still meet Celebrity's requirements, but your antigen test won't. Depending on which airport you are flying from and the time of your flight, instead of being tested with your child the day before, you could get tested before heading to the airport or at the airport itself. If the flight is too early to allow those options, then you will need to be tested twice, once for the flight and again in Florida for the cruise. The Celebrity board has a long thread on getting tested there, and Celebrity itself offers some limited testing for international travellers. https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements

Scenario Three - You Fly to Fort Lauderdale Three or More Days Before Embarkation

Both you and your child will need to be retested. 

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

The need for one or two tests will depend on your travel arrangements.

Scenario One - You Fly to Fort Lauderdale One Day Before Embarkation

In this scenario, both you (antigen) and your child (PCR) get tested per Celebrities requirements early on the day before your flight. There are numerous locations that provide same day PCR results. With these in hand, you meet the requirements for the flight the following day and for embarkation the day after.

Scenario Two - You Fly to Fort Lauderdale Two Days Before Embarkation

If you are going to spend two nights in Fort Lauderdale before boarding, your child's test the day before your flight will still meet Celebrity's requirements, but your antigen test won't. Depending on which airport you are flying from and the time of your flight, instead of being tested with your child the day before, you could get tested before heading to the airport or at the airport itself. If the flight is too early to allow those options, then you will need to be tested twice, once for the flight and again in Florida for the cruise. The Celebrity board has a long thread on getting tested there, and Celebrity itself offers some limited testing for international travellers. https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements

Scenario Three - You Fly to Fort Lauderdale Three or More Days Before Embarkation

Both you and your child will need to be retested. 

Thanks so much for the info. We are leaving YYZ the  day  before we  set sail so we will set up appointments as in scenario 1. I Didn't know they had same day PCR test results.

50 minutes ago, nauticalnuts said:

Thanks so much for the info. We are leaving YYZ the  day  before we  set sail so we will set up appointments as in scenario 1. I Didn't know they had same day PCR test results.

One thing that I should add is that the facilities that do rapid PCR testing also do antigen testing but for a higher price than at Shoppers, Costco and some of the other locations. It may be worthwhile getting your child's test in one place and your tests in another. A bit more time consuming but a good dollar saving.

Have a great cruise!