Panorama elevator question

1 minute ago, vicky3vicky said:

Does carnival send out an e-mail on directions for how to use the elevators so that everyone knows they need to put in the floor for each member in the party?

No. At least we didn't get an email on it, when we cruised on the Vista last August. 

While I can’t answer your question about the Panorama, I just wanted to chime in about how I was on the Horizon in September and these elevators annoyed me because they seemed to take a while.

But then I was just on a Royal Caribbean cruise last week with the normal type of elevators, and they were really annoying me having to stop at every floor. So I would much rather have the smart elevators lol. 

6 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

Does the Panorama have elevators where you enter which floor you want to go to outside elevator and then one is assigned to you?  

That was a GREAT feature on the Horizon.   Made line jumpers inconsequential.   Loved it.  

Yes it does and I caught on quickly thanks to the YouTube Videos. Ill miss them on my upcoming Pride cruise.

18 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

Can someone please explain to me in simple terms how these new elevators work?  I can't seem to grasp it from these threads and haven't experienced yet.  TIA

instead of pressing the deck you want inside of the elevator, you select deck # before you get on, so that the system automatically allocates and calls an elevator for you, based on capacity and routing.
for example, if there's a bank of 4 elevators, A B C D, and you select deck 8, system will tell you go wait by elevator C. if you are in a group, repeat for each person (3 people, select 3 times).

• Like 3

Just off the Panorama for second time and most of the time folks just waited for someone else to pick a floor and hopped on totally defeating the way the elevators are designed to work then were quick to comment on how the elevators were stopping on each floor when it was full of people.  Some cant be bothered learning how to use the technology.  Tried to explain it to folks but they just shrugged and said hate them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Just off the Panorama for second time and most of the time folks just waited for someone else to pick a floor and hopped on totally defeating the way the elevators are designed to work then were quick to comment on how the elevators were stopping on each floor when it was full of people.  Some cant be bothered learning how to use the technology.  Tried to explain it to folks but they just shrugged and said hate them.

Looks like nothings changed then, same problem before the covid upheaval lol. If they added an additional prompt "how many passengers in your party?" vs having to push for each person in the party, it would help tremendously and clear some of the confusion.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I loved the elevators on the Panorama.  It was great to have people spread out depending on the floor they chose.  It prevented everyone waiting to get on an elevator from going to one elevator.  

We recently cruised on the Mardi Gras and they have the old style elevators.  It was so much worse.  Those elevators were so tiny and everyone waiting in the area tried to get to one when it stopped.  So, if it was crowded and you weren't standing in the lucky place, you would sometimes have to wait longer than people who just walked up.  I have no clue why they didn't install the great system in the Mardi Gras that they did on the Panorama.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

my wife and i absolutely love the smart elevators.  

i hate making a mountain out of a molehill but stopping on every floor is a bummer.  i try to take the stairs as much as possible but i like walking down muuuuuuuuuch more than walking up.  (as a fiftysomething fella)  

• Like 4

20 hours ago, kdr69 said:

We noticed that too.  It was really annoying that people didn't even want to TRY to understand how it is supposed to work.  Some people just jumped on whatever elevator opened up, and then complained about the lack of buttons inside for them to choose a floor.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 4:42 PM, redsox1584 said:

While I can’t answer your question about the Panorama, I just wanted to chime in about how I was on the Horizon in September and these elevators annoyed me because they seemed to take a while.

But then I was just on a Royal Caribbean cruise last week with the normal type of elevators, and they were really annoying me having to stop at every floor. So I would much rather have the smart elevators lol. 

I sailed on the Vista back in 2017. Thank the Lord, they had regular elevators. Was on the Horizon twice and they (smart elevators) got real old real fast. Worst was when disembarking. IMO, a good compromise: Normal elevators aft and forward central elevators have the new fangled lifts.

Interesting that the Mardi Gras doesn't have them. I remember the buzz on my second Horizon cruise that the smart Elevators didn't go over well and were a one hit wonder. (Now two hits) counting the Panorama. 

On 3/16/2022 at 12:58 PM, willyt25 said:

Don't get me wrong I'm not a luddite. I get a kick out of trying new things. My BFF can't get over how much electronics go with me on board. However IMO at least on my 2 Horizon cruises with all those people the system had trouble keeping up with demand. Probably need double the power and bandwidth which in turn would incur  more expense. I'm curious to see how this technology holds up to the heavy use and cruise abuse. Cruise ships including accessories live a hard life and age quickly. Could be a whole debate. When it works its not bad but, when overwhelmed is a hinderance. Sort of like low flow/pressure toilets that are designed to conserve water but, when you have to flush several times to get the brown down, it defeats the purpose. Just my 2 cents. Didn't miss  smart lifts on the MSC Meraviglia. I love to cruise so, smart elevators would not keep me off a ship or cruise line.

On 3/17/2022 at 4:26 PM, kdr69 said:

On 3/17/2022 at 4:43 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

Looks like nothings changed then, same problem before the covid upheaval lol. If they added an additional prompt "how many passengers in your party?" vs having to push for each person in the party, it would help tremendously and clear some of the confusion.  

On 3/18/2022 at 1:07 PM, Jeafl said:

We noticed that too.  It was really annoying that people didn't even want to TRY to understand how it is supposed to work.  Some people just jumped on whatever elevator opened up, and then complained about the lack of buttons inside for them to choose a floor.

On 3/16/2022 at 5:24 PM, Saint Greg said:

Vista does not. 

It did, but only briefly.  I think for only 2 or 3 weeks, tops. 

Our Vista sailing happened to fall during that magical (or terrifying) period.  😄  

Sad to her they don't have these on Vista. I was looking forward to them on my next cruise. The corporate headquarters for the company I work for has these and I love using them when I have to visit there. I guess it'll be back to business as usual for me. Standing there alone by the elevators. pressing the call button, then having a dozen idiots show up at the last minute and force their way ahead of me. Oh well, there's always the stairs. 

58 minutes ago, Rudyard said:

Sad to her they don't have these on Vista. I was looking forward to them on my next cruise. The corporate headquarters for the company I work for has these and I love using them when I have to visit there. I guess it'll be back to business as usual for me. Standing there alone by the elevators. pressing the call button, then having a dozen idiots show up at the last minute and force their way ahead of me. Oh well, there's always the stairs. 

I haven't had the chance to use this type of elevator but after last week, I think it would be a really great thing to have if people knew how to use it.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zippyjet said:

I sailed on the Vista back in 2017. Thank the Lord, they had regular elevators. Was on the Horizon twice and they (smart elevators) got real old real fast. Worst was when disembarking. IMO, a good compromise: Normal elevators aft and forward central elevators have the new fangled lifts.

Your room must not be on a high deck in the forward area. On vista the forward elevators go to three different ranges of floors. So if I want to go to lido deck and I want my best chance Of getting an elevator, I have to hit three buttons. And if it hit three buttons that means two elevators are going to stop there for no reason. The smart elevators are much better.