Why do most of the staterooms on Carnival look so run down?

Well, Carnival DOES only have 4 ships actually constructed over the past 10 years in service, plus a few that are over 20 years old that had a few tweaks added on over the past 7 years.  So, OP has a point in Carnival using some older vessels compared to other lines.

14 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

It doesn't look that bad to me. How much did your cruise cost and what ship is this? Never mind, Vista I see. Cruising is like Vegas, there are options for any budget and if you want higher end (think Cosmo vs Bally's) there are options. The vista class ships aren't even that old.  

We did a trip with my sister and her husband that included a night in Vegas on either end. She always wanted to do high end on the strip. It was one night on our way back. We were for it. Prices weren’t even crazy. 
But she cheaped out and got a less pricey option then walked in and complained it wasn’t fancy enough.  😐

• Haha 4

I think there might be a bit of a language / communication difference here? The phrase "run-down" commonly refers to being in poor repair or overly worn out, not outdated style choices or inexpensive design choices. 

I'd like to believe OP just used an incorrect terminology instead of tossing the gloves and grabbing the jersey here.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I dont thinkmthey will sunshine more ships ... I hope not.

If you dont like the decor book a newer ship? I'm good and dont care.

The Vista is one of the newer ships!  I know you know that. But I think OP is just trying to jerk our chains. Showing older internet pictures vs from own cruise.  And i doubt the OP has ever sailed on Carnival.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

The Vista is one of the newer ships!  I know you know that. But I think OP is just trying to jerk our chains. Showing older internet pictures vs from own cruise.  And i doubt the OP has ever sailed on Carnival.

As I said if you dont like it that much and the colors make or break your cruise, dont book it. No one is forcing him to book. Doesnt bother me much ..didnt much like ecstasy step up in the bathroom. But I'm not buying the cabin long term. ..renting it for the week. Lol. 

I object to the green color rcl has in liberty OTS cabins .. should I not show up sunday? Got awesome prices ... hmmm. I really dont like that green. Just ruins the whole ambience.  Oh my. I hear harmony ots they finally changed color schemes. .. I guess I should just stay home. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Moviela said:

There are always those people who would order a corn dog and complain it had a stick in it.

There are always those who will defend their brand no matter what. I swear there are many on this board that will proclaim it was the greatest cruise ever if their brand of cruise line had a barge towed by a tug with sleeping bags and Vietnam era C-rations for food and served only warm flat beer. Some just can't stand when it's their Ox being gored.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

Well, Carnival DOES only have 4 ships actually constructed over the past 10 years in service, plus a few that are over 20 years old that had a few tweaks added on over the past 7 years.  So, OP has a point in Carnival using some older vessels compared to other lines.

Most, if not all of those "older vessels" have had some sort of a makeover.  I do agree that a lot of the older "Fargus (sic)" interiors left a lot to be admired. But the Dream Class ships aren't exactly ancient.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Most, if not all of those "older vessels" have had some sort of a makeover.  I do agree that a lot of the older "Fargus (sic)" interiors left a lot to be admired. But the Dream Class ships aren't exactly ancient.

The youngest of the Dream class is the Breeze which turns 10 years old this year. I was on her in October of 21 and  my girlfriend was on her just 3 weeks ago. The carpet in some areas is showing wear and tear and in some places stained. 

You know the saying, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.   I've been on several Carnival ships and we always like to look at the decor around the ship.  Sometimes I like it, sometimes not.  But as long as she floats, has slot machines, a good comedian and a few bartenders who know how to mix a drink, I really don't care what the colors or designs are.  Now, once we moved ourselves out of interior to the balcony ... yes, that was nicer, regardless of the color scheme, but even an interior at sea beats a hotel on land any day in my book.  The upgrade fairy blessed us with a good deal in the Grand Suite in May.  First time for everything.  It's all in the attitude! 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 80sGal said:

You know the saying, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.   I've been on several Carnival ships and we always like to look at the decor around the ship.  Sometimes I like it, sometimes not.  But as long as she floats, has slot machines, a good comedian and a few bartenders who know how to mix a drink, I really don't care what the colors or designs are.  Now, once we moved ourselves out of interior to the balcony ... yes, that was nicer, regardless of the color scheme, but even an interior at sea beats a hotel on land any day in my book.  The upgrade fairy blessed us with a good deal in the Grand Suite in May.  First time for everything.  It's all in the attitude! 

Not so much a beauty in the eye of the beholder, but rather standards. Some people have high standards for most everything in life, some have no standards. Uncle Sam decided I need to spend the first 8 years of my adult life "camping". Some in my units never spent a day in field yet whined about the barracks, while I spent more time in the field than I did the barracks I thought the barracks was the grandest thing after spending 4 weeks sleeping under pancho.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Retiredmedic said:

Not so much a beauty in the eye of the beholder, but rather standards. Some people have high standards for most everything in life, some have no standards. Uncle Sam decided I need to spend the first 8 years of my adult life "camping". Some in my units never spent a day in field yet whined about the barracks, while I spent more time in the field than I did the barracks I thought the barracks was the grandest thing after spending 4 weeks sleeping under pancho.

I agree....I have very high standards when it comes to cleanliness and safety...in fact I've managed to go my entire 42 years without ever staying in a motel and have no intention of ever doing so...even at a 5 star resort I'm fanatical and wipe down surfaces, don't touch bedspreads etc...BUT I couldn't care less if the sink is pink or blue or if the picture on the wall is tasteful or tacky....so I think we are talking about two different things on this thread.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ray98 said:

One day I hope to have so much free time I can troll the internet.....

I'm looking forward to that day if you can do a good a job as has been done here. 😁

2 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

I agree....I have very high standards when it comes to cleanliness and safety...in fact I've managed to go my entire 42 years without ever staying in a motel and have no intention of ever doing so...even at a 5 star resort I'm fanatical and wipe down surfaces, don't touch bedspreads etc...BUT I couldn't care less if the sink is pink or blue or if the picture on the wall is tasteful or tacky....so I think we are talking about two different things on this thread.

I am not talking tacky decor, I am talking about how Carnival does not have exactly high standards for some of their upkeep. My first cruise was the Conquest in 2010, it was 8 years old and showing wear and tear. While Carnival keeps it clean they should replace worn carpet at shorter interval than they do.

5 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

Agreed.  The OP was talking about how the ships LOOKS.  That's completely different than standards of cleanliness!  I think we all expect that our room and the venues to be CLEAN regardless of whether the decor is shiny and new, or faded and outdated.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Retiredmedic said:

I am talking about how Carnival does not have exactly high standards for some of their upkeep.

It's not just Carnival.

I was on the Celebrity Infinity and The Ruby Princess pre COVID and neither was in as good of shape as the Magic was in for our cruise in September.

I get that!  But we should all manage our expectations properly...for example I sail on the Miracle next week...I know its old, I know it's been around, I know it doesn't have all the bells and whistles so I am not expecting such.  I will not be shocked by wear and tear or some rust that is what I expect on a 20 year old vessel.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, I Like to See The Sea said:

Maybe I'm being a little opinionated here, but the cabins look outdated and the bathroom isn't that great either since the shower has a curtain and not a door. I also feel that the color of the vanity doesn't look great either. What do you think though?

hqdefault.jpg

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/cabinpics/245/web/CarCov236-36084-1627754871.webp

Carnival Cruise Line Will Start Recycling Soap

Image sources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJyJHULJQZc

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/stateroom-details.php?ship=Carnival-Vista&cabin=2361

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-cruise-line-joins-soap-recycling-program/

I would take that stateroom in a heartbeat over the ones on the Mardi Gras and I assume the Celebration.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

I get that!  But we should all manage our expectations properly...for example I sail on the Miracle next week...I know its old, I know it's been around, I know it doesn't have all the bells and whistles so I am not expecting such.  I will not be shocked by wear and tear or some rust that is what I expect on a 20 year old vessel.  

Exactly how low should ones expectations go? I came back from my first cruise not wanting to go on another but my now exwife and our daughter loved it and wanted to on more. My sister in law talked up how great the food was, I should have know to listen to her about food as she uses the smoke detector as a oven timer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Retiredmedic said:

Exactly how low should ones expectations go? I came back from my first cruise not wanting to go on another but my now exwife and our daughter loved it and wanted to on more. My sister in law talked up how great the food was, I should have know to listen to her about food as she uses the smoke detector as a oven timer.

Personally my expectations align with my cost and time....if I spend a lot or its my only vacation of the year etc...then I have higher expectations, if I didn't pay much and its just to get out of dodge etc...then I will lower said expectations.  I know its cliche but I do believe "the worst day on vacation beats my best day at work" so give me a cocktail, something to munch on and a pretty view and call me happy.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Retiredmedic said:

I am not talking tacky decor, I am talking about how Carnival does not have exactly high standards for some of their upkeep. My first cruise was the Conquest in 2010, it was 8 years old and showing wear and tear. While Carnival keeps it clean they should replace worn carpet at shorter interval than they do.

Hi

So, what are you saying??? If you don't like the way a company does business, you should take your money elsewhere. That's what most of us have said. There is a cruise line for everyone's taste and budget.

If you are saying that as a Carnival stock owner, you are not happy with the way they are running your company. Then you should apply for the job.