What is Journeys?

iluvthe-c

I am looking at Panama Canal cruises for 2024.  Carnival is one of the few lines that have PC itineraries posted for that far out.  "Journeys" is listed on these itineraries.  Can someone explain what that means?  Is there any value in it? 

It's been a while since I have sailed Carnival (I did in 2018 but that was a last-minute booking and I had very little time to research and plan (aka scour Cruise Critic)).  I did search this forum but didn't have any luck finding answers.

Edited by iluvthe-c
spelling

Did you even search the Carnival website? I found the answer straight away:

Carnival Journeys is a limited series of special cruises that's made to amaze... starting with great destinations and an exciting entertainment lineup. For a list of sailings, click here.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3936/kw/Journey cruise

• Like 1

A journey cruise is one that is typically longer and goes to unique places.  Some are round trip and some one way (placement cruises to get a ship from point A and B.  Often highly sought by Carnival most loyal customers.

• Thanks 1

I did Alaska on miracle as a journey cruise. We had a naturalist onboard who gave nightly hour long talks about what to look for the next day. Strata on the areas we passed. What animals to look for and when to look. Like from 7 to 9 am look for whales and we were lined up in the buffet watching ..and saw whales. Some saw eagles. I didnt see eagles. 

Fyi when choosing look if it's a partial transit or going to colon Panama. Out of tampa I see they do a partial transit of the lock. I'm booked out of Galveston on the jan 2024 and we go to colon Panama a port and have to pay for a excursion to see the locks. Extra cost. 

We did a Journeys cruise on the Legend to Hawaii about 8 years ago.  It was a unique 1-way 10-day voyage (usually that itenerary was at least 12 days back then).  I don't recall the details for the special parties or classes, but I loved the "Throwback" day where everything was themed around the way cruising was 25 years ago (they had a really impressive midnight buffet - people came to take pictures, even if they didn't want to eat). The volcano happened to be active (with lava flowing into the ocean) so the ship made a slight detour to take us over to see that (I've never seen so many crew members out on deck before).  I would love to do a Journeys cruise again - it mixes up the traditional "same thing every week" cruise.

• Like 1

In the past, we’ve really enjoyed the Journeys cruises. There were interesting crafts, cooking classes, lectures and local entertainment and foods, along with the Grand Buffet one night. Hopefully, they will be wonderful again! 

A fav cruise memory is B2B Journey cruises.  1st leg was Eastern Carib 10 days from Miami to SJU, 2nd leg was 11 days SJU southern to Miami.

Grenada, Barbados, Antigua, and possibly Martinique were a few of the not so regular ports on these itineries.

15 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Did you even search the Carnival website? I found the answer straight away:

Carnival Journeys is a limited series of special cruises that's made to amaze... starting with great destinations and an exciting entertainment lineup. For a list of sailings, click here.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3936/kw/Journey cruise

Thank you for posting this here.  I was only seeing the first paragraph when I looked.

Sounds like great enhancements to some great cruises!  A Journeys cruise through the Panama Canal would be nice.

16 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Fyi when choosing look if it's a partial transit or going to colon Panama. Out of tampa I see they do a partial transit of the lock. I'm booked out of Galveston on the jan 2024 and we go to colon Panama a port and have to pay for a excursion to see the locks. Extra cost. 

Thanks for the tip.  That itinerary is kind of confusing.  It says Colon (Panama Canal).  Is it your understanding that your ship will not go into/through any locks at all?  I'm not opposed to going through on a ferry but would like to see a ship go through as well.  Since you are already booked are you seeing the cost of that excursion?  I'd like to factor that into my cost comparisons between the different lines and sailings.

2 minutes ago, iluvthe-c said:

Thanks for the tip.  That itinerary is kind of confusing.  It says Colon (Panama Canal).  Is it your understanding that your ship will not go into/through any locks at all?  I'm not opposed to going through on a ferry but would like to see a ship go through as well.  Since you are already booked are you seeing the cost of that excursion?  I'd like to factor that into my cost comparisons between the different lines and sailings.

I am not seeing the cost. I've asked some on the oct 2022 same route and not a one responded to me.

I'm on vision OTS which has a similar route, 6 new stops for me, it also does the B Bonaire of the ABC but it's out of miami. The one on carnival does 5 new and cozumel and jamaica. I'd rather do out of Galveston..so I'm going to cancel vision but can see their 8 hour excursion, plus 2 shorter excursion.

Vision: $169 and you see 2 locks. As you say it's a ferry. Carnival excursions often are cheaper than rcl, but this is all I have. Gives you a idea. Maybe someone booked oct 2022 for this cruise on carnival can give us their prices etc.

20220318_090312915.jpeg

20220318_090330648.jpeg

20220318_090431793.jpeg

You will go through some of the locks - to Gatun Lake then turn around and go back through.  I am on the Oct 2022 sailing and there are no excursions listed for this day

Edited by wojomom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm on vision OTS which has a similar route, 6 new stops for me, it also does the B Bonaire of the ABC but it's out of miami. The one on carnival does 5 new and cozumel and jamaica. I'd rather do out of Galveston..so I'm going to cancel vision but can see their 8 hour excursion, plus 2 shorter excursion.

What was the date of your RCCL Vision OTS?  I'm not finding any 2024 PC cruises on their website so maybe it was 2022 or 2023?

53 minutes ago, wojomom said:

You will go through some of the locks - to Gatun Lake then turn around and go back through.  I am on the Oct 2022 sailing and there are no excursions listed for this day

Will this be your first PC cruise?

2 minutes ago, iluvthe-c said:

What was the date of your RCCL Vision OTS?  I'm not finding any 2024 PC cruises on their website so maybe it was 2022 or 2023?

It's in my signature. Most cruiseline dont call it a Panama canal cruise.

3/20/23. Next march. They actually do 4 exactly the same jan feb march and april. I'm booked for the march one as I thought b2b with oasis out of miami just before. ..but I'd rather do Galveston. 

My TA has group rates for insides at $2100. Including taxes for one, I'm solo. The balcony rate on vision is  crazy. Almost 5k and its 11 days. But can hit all 6 new ports that I havent done because it's out of miami. So it has 5 of the same ports I can do out of texas which I prefer and I can get a cabin I can see out for less. 

Anyway, if you can see my signature both are in it. Vision 3/20/23 and dream 1/13/24 .. they share 5 ports the same. I do hear bonaire is the best of the ABC islands.