Princess Stop Free Tests in UK

Billish

Princess have released details of the new protocols for UK sailings this summer.

Free testing at Southampton is discontinued. Guests will have to provide proof of a negative test taken within 2 or 3 days of the sailing date (depending on if you have had the booster - no I don't understand why either) but there will be an option to be tested at the port, for a "nominal" fee, charged to your onboard account. 

The issue for many, is that fewer and fewer places now offer testing, so it could be difficult to meet the required testing timescale. Port testing will therefore probably be the best option for a lot of people.

• Like 2

I just read that is the policy for all non-US based cruises now. I wonder how much the "nominal" fee will be. I hope someone can post when they know. I just read on another thread it could be $350 but that hasn't passed rumor control yet 😁 (question about an additional charge on shipboard account and speculation it's due to testing).

6 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

I just read that is the policy for all non-US based cruises now. I wonder how much the "nominal" fee will be. I hope someone can post when they know. I just read on another thread it could be $350 but that hasn't passed rumor control yet 😁 (question about an additional charge on shipboard account and speculation it's due to testing).

The sum of $350 is just pure rubbish.

Princess UK are being a bit tight lipped (or more likely don't know) but a figure of $50 is floating around,  which appears realistic, as getting the test done in a UK chemist would be in the region of £30 or $40.   

12 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Where did you read $350 per person?  I do not believe Princess would charge anywhere near that amount.  Most likely under $100.  Who would pay $700 per couple?  You would be better off getting an antigen test in the UK either the day before or the day of embarkation at a pharmacy like Boots.

4 minutes ago, Billish said:

Princess UK are being a bit tight lipped (or more likely don't know) but a figure of $50 is floating around,  which appears realistic, as getting the test done in a UK chemist would be in the region of £30 or $40.   

It would be helpful if Princess added a list of UK Covid test suppliers that would be acceptable to them. Similar to British Airways and other airlines, who have negotiated nice discounts for their customers too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Billish said:

I agree, that seemed quite high to me also. And $50 may be realistic but still a bit much.  Here it usually costs about $25. But I do like the option. it would make it very easy for us when we have to bard after 5 days in Rome. 

5 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Where did you read $350 per person?  I do not believe Princess would charge anywhere near that amount.  Most likely under $100.  Who would pay $700 per couple?  You would be better off getting an antigen test in the UK either the day before or the day of embarkation at a pharmacy like Boots.

I said it was speculation. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

A lot of the places have stopped doing them. I checked out Boots today in both major cities here and also at the Gyle, none have weekend appointments which we would need for the timescales required.

The main airports do the tests but then parking to get the test is an issue and extremely costly (and no where near me).

Basically Princess have added costs to the holiday at the very last minute (in spite of what is published in their brochure) and they can charge what they like for it as there are limited options elsewhere for some of us. Those living in big cities may be fine but more difficult in rural areas.

That said it is not in their interests to overcharge so personally I think they will make it a reasonable price. I just wish they would tell us what that cost is.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

A lot of the places have stopped doing them. I checked out Boots today in both major cities here and also at the Gyle, none have weekend appointments which we would need for the timescales required.

The main airports do the tests but then parking to get the test is an issue and extremely costly (and no where near me).

Basically Princess have added costs to the holiday at the very last minute (in spite of what is published in their brochure) and they can charge what they like for it as there are limited options elsewhere for some of us. Those living in big cities may be fine but more difficult in rural areas.

That said it is not in their interests to overcharge so personally I think they will make it a reasonable price. I just wish they would tell us what that cost is.

You would think that given how long it has taken Princess to issue a policy, the pricing should have been sorted by now !

• Like 2