Navigator LIVE! March 20-April 1

1 minute ago, UUNetBill said:

Ya know, I can get from Greenville to Savannah in less than four hours.  On an unrelated note, I like Woodford.

🤣

You needed to make that drive in 31 minutes. It was damn good!

22 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Ya know, I can get from Greenville to Savannah in less than four hours.  On an unrelated note, I like Woodford.

🤣

Bill….suspect if we ever cruise together, that you and I “might” share a libation around the pool bar. 

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

Bill - We got a bottle on that cruise too.  It's a little farther to Colorado Springs, but I'm sure you would love a visit to your old "stompin'" grounds.  Pattie hasn't opened it yet and I'm afraid it will become a "souvenir" and not a drink...

I see the Navigator is coded Orange on the CDC dashboard, and that the CDC has started an investigation and ship remains under observation. Not sure how long it has been at Orange. Any news of this onboard and/or changing practices being put into place?

8 hours ago, cwn said:

With the number or passengers on the Navigator that must mean there are 2 or 3 cases??? Not remember what the  percentages are.

CD announced early last evening that the evening’s production show was being rescheduled to the last evening (Thursday). “A few of the cast members are not feeling well.” No other details. 

Sea day today and Grenada on Thursday. We shall see what happens. 

They closed off Deck 5 forward a few days back, so I’m assuming that that is where the quarantine area is, since there are some window cabins on that deck. And I can’t help but wonder if the cases didn’t arise about that time. I have seen some of the entertainers out and about today. Given how closely they work together, I’d think that they’d isolate them all if one of them tested positive. So I’m not sure that yesterday’s announcement about “not feeling well” was about covid. In any event, that info isn’t getting shared on the ship.

Edited by wishIweretravelling
  • Thanks 2

We are enjoying our second (and last) sea day on this cruise. I had previously prepared a post about life onboard on the first sea day, but either it disappeared into the ether or I posted it on the wrong thread and someone is puzzling about the non sequitur wherever it is.

In any event, today’s sea day activities include deck games, multiple lectures, bridge, mah jong, etc. Lots of people hanging out at the pool. Though I learned from the last sea day that hanging out IN the pool while the ship is moving is a bit challenging. Like trying to swim in a washing machine. Just treading water gives a great workout.

Speaking of workouts, there are fitness classes every day—sea or not—but they aren’t listed in Passages. Instead, you need to go to the gym to pick up the schedule, then sign up for the class(es) you want. 

One other activity that I am looking forward to this sea day: a wine pairing lunch. There is a charge for this, but it’s a good way to burn some OBCs. Oddly, this offering is not advertised. You just have to know that such things might happen, flag down the head sommelier, and ask to be included. I guess this is done to keep the numbers small and manageable, but it does seem a bit unfair to those who are new to Regent (and/or don’t read threads like this on CC).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wishIweretravelling said:

We are enjoying our second (and last) sea day on this cruise. I had previously prepared a post about life onboard on the first sea day, but either it disappeared into the ether or I posted it on the wrong thread and someone is puzzling about the non sequitur wherever it is.

In any event, today’s sea day activities include deck games, multiple lectures, bridge, mah jong, etc. Lots of people hanging out at the pool. Though I learned from the last sea day that hanging out IN the pool while the ship is moving is a bit challenging. Like trying to swim in a washing machine. Just treading water gives a great workout.

Speaking of workouts, there are fitness classes every day—sea or not—but they aren’t listed in Passages. Instead, you need to go to the gym to pick up the schedule, then sign up for the class(es) you want. 

One other activity that I am looking forward to this sea day: a wine pairing lunch. There is a charge for this, but it’s a good way to burn some OBCs. Oddly, this offering is not advertised. You just have to know that such things might happen, flag down the head sommelier, and ask to be included. I guess this is done to keep the numbers small and manageable, but it does seem a bit unfair to those who are new to Regent (and/or don’t read threads like this on CC).

Yes. Your last comment is spot on. We are new to Regent and obviously not in the know about certain customs. For instance, we had no idea about Bloody Mary Saturday. Admittedly, not a huge disappointment in the grand scheme but you do wonder what all is happening that we might enjoy if we only knew. 

When are we told the secret password? 😉 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Desperate to Sail said:

Daily Passages.  Blood Mary Saturday and Champagne and Caviar Sunday are both in Passages.  In addition there are signs at entrance of La Verandah.  As for the wine pairing, I have never not been asked to participate by one or more sommeliers; I think there is a competition and the sommeliers are financially rewarded based on the number they sell.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wishIweretravelling said:

I'd be very surprised if this wasn't posted in Passages or somewhere along the line - on every one of our cruises I only learn about these events from my wife who reads every document that enters our cabin from front to back.  I, on the other hand, either miss things or rely on her to tell me when the premium tastings are.  🙂

49 minutes ago, Desperate to Sail said:

Yes. Your last comment is spot on. We are new to Regent and obviously not in the know about certain customs. For instance, we had no idea about Bloody Mary Saturday. Admittedly, not a huge disappointment in the grand scheme but you do wonder what all is happening that we might enjoy if we only knew. 

Some of these things are kind of like 'informal' customs that people seem to pick up here on Cruise Critic.  I know that I've organized informal Meet-n-Greets if we didn't have enough interest to have an official one and we usually have people stop by and ask what's going on - it would be easy to mistake those gatherings for something official.

I'd recommend making friends with the sommelier, checking with the desk and/or DS to see if there's anything fun going on, and absolutely read Passages cover to cover every day - my wife tells me there's a lot of good info in there.  😄 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Eno-Bob said:

Bill - We got a bottle on that cruise too.  It's a little farther to Colorado Springs, but I'm sure you would love a visit to your old "stompin'" grounds.  Pattie hasn't opened it yet and I'm afraid it will become a "souvenir" and not a drink...

@Eno-Bob I think I'll be back out that way later this year.  Conference at the Broadmoor.  I used to live in Mountain Shadows, Briagate, and finally ended up in University Park.  I'll probably do a quick 'nostalgia drive' around the old haunts...probably won't have time to drink your whiskey, though.  😂

54 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Daily Passages.  Blood Mary Saturday and Champagne and Caviar Sunday are both in Passages.  In addition there are signs at entrance of La Verandah.  As for the wine pairing, I have never not been asked to participate by one or more sommeliers; I think there is a competition and the sommeliers are financially rewarded based on the number they sell.

See?  Told you my wife was the one that read all the good stuff.  Ha!  I *think* the sommeliers are more likely to recommend tastings and other events if you talk to them about wine.  Can't be sure about that as we always try and make good friends with the entire B part of the F&B team as soon as we board.  🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

I'd be very surprised if this wasn't posted in Passages or somewhere along the line - on every one of our cruises I only learn about these events from my wife who reads every document that enters our cabin from front to back.  I, on the other hand, either miss things or rely on her to tell me when the premium tastings are.  🙂

The wine lunch definitely was not in Passages. Bloody Mary Saturday and champagne and caviar Sunday were, but not the wine lunch.  On other cruises there has been a flyer about it at the wine tasting on the first sea day morning, but because our first sea was well into the cruise, that tasting never happened. There were 22 of us at the wine lunch today, and it seemed like all of us just knew to ask about it.  On past cruises, when it was advertised at the wine tasting, people got frozen out if they didn’t sign up right away, because they do limit the numbers.,

It was, by the way, well worthwhile.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

I think I'll be back out that way later this year.

Let us know if you do come out this way - we're only a couple of miles from the Boardmoor and there's always plenty of Bourbon at the house!

5 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

The wine lunch definitely was not in Passages. Bloody Mary Saturday and champagne and caviar Sunday were, but not the wine lunch.  On other cruises there has been a flyer about it at the wine tasting on the first sea day morning, but because our first sea was well into the cruise, that tasting never happened. There were 22 of us at the wine lunch today, and it seemed like all of us just knew to ask about it.  On past cruises, when it was advertised at the wine tasting, people got frozen out if they didn’t sign up right away, because they do limit the numbers.,

It was, by the way, well worthwhile.

Was just going to say, "You find out about wine tasting lunch at the wine tasting on the first sea day." but when you are on a port intensive cruise, it doesn't always happen. So advice to ask a sommelier about it first dinner or so can get you signed up is good. I didn't know about it until several cruises in, and have been pro-active ever since then!

8 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

@Eno-Bob I think I'll be back out that way later this year.  Conference at the Broadmoor.  I used to live in Mountain Shadows, Briagate, and finally ended up in University Park.  I'll probably do a quick 'nostalgia drive' around the old haunts...probably won't have time to drink your whiskey, though.  😂

Bill:  it’s about a matter of priorities.  I work with a great retired senior NCO who can help you get things reprioritized. 

Z and TB

It is our last full day of the cruise, and we are in Grenada. A number of the tours underwent changes, and many of us have turned in our tickets in favor of a self-imposed sea day.

Things have been slightly off-kilter over the past 24 hours. No one has said a word about it, but it is clear that there is covid on board. The corridor with the window cabins on deck 5 has been closed off for a few days, and this morning I saw a cleaner in quasi-hazmat wear going into the corridor. Last night’s “30th anniversary party” was nothing more than a cocktail hour prior to Krew Kapers.  That show was late getting started, and then was announced by Maira, the Assistant Cruise Director, rather than Ray. It was then that we realized no one had seen Ray for a while. This morning, his morning show was a pre-recorded disembarkation bit (that was clearly intended for tomorrow) and Maira did the morning announcements.  I do hope he’s just a bit under the weather, or perhaps taking a well-earned day off, and not among the covid.

Speaking of covid, testing for passengers headed home starts shortly.  It’s in the back of Compass Rose, and you can go in either 10-12 or 3-5.  Complimentary of course, and either antigen or PCR, depending on what your destination requires.

And there’s a number of destinations. We have a larger-than-usual European contingent on board (as least large for a Caribbean cruise). Turns out that there are direct flights between London and Bridgetown, which helps explain why Regent put so many Bridgetown to Bridgetown routings on its schedule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Was just going to say, "You find out about wine tasting lunch at the wine tasting on the first sea day." but when you are on a port intensive cruise, it doesn't always happen. So advice to ask a sommelier about it first dinner or so can get you signed up is good. I didn't know about it until several cruises in, and have been pro-active ever since then!

Yes,  I am traveling with @wishIweretravelling. We asked about the wine lunch the first night at dinner and got us on the list.

Edited by NCCruzQueen
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Bill:  it’s about a matter of priorities.  I work with a great retired senior NCO who can help you get things reprioritized. 

Z and TB

Z, I don't know, man - do you think it's a good idea to get two retired SNCOs together with alcohol?  Could end up on the evening news...

I am boarding Navigator tomorrow after OP disembarks. I'm currently in Barbados enjoying its beauty. If there is interest I would happily do a virtual cruise thread for that trip. My perspective may be a bit different as we will be 3 males in our 30s.

Thanks to OP and companion for a great cruise review!

• Like 8