Real-Time Review by SthrnGary of the NCL Joy, March 19, 2022, Cruise in “Haven Lite”

Sthrngary

6 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Just a strategy that might help you one day.  On a separate topic.  If you think about it, Book the Ocean Blue for the first night because that is when the fish is freshest.  I new friend shared that with me on Sunday.  I had Ocean Blue scheduled for tonight and cancelled it to go back to Cagney's.  

Never thought about the fish being the freshest, but does that apply to all cruises? We'll be doing the eastern Mediterranean, Rome to Haifa, later this year and most of the places we'll be stopping are continental, so could they also do provisioning along the way? I know that some of the European cruises do port passengers in more than one port on a cruise, so why not provisions?

I enjoy following your updates.

Thanks for taking the time to write.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, GALSews said:

Never thought about the fish being the freshest, but does that apply to all cruises? We'll be doing the eastern Mediterranean, Rome to Haifa, later this year and most of the places we'll be stopping are continental, so could they also do provisioning along the way? I know that some of the European cruises do port passengers in more than one port on a cruise, so why not provisions?

I enjoy following your updates.

Thanks for taking the time to write.

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but when we did the behind the scenes tour many years ago the Provisions Officer said that all the proteins on the ship were frozen.  He said that it was to insure that all ships have the exact same quality of meat, seafood , etc.  He said that you would get the same steak in Alaska that you would get in the Caribbean.  There was even a special defrosting room onboard which defrosted in such a way that you couldn't tell the protein was ever frozen.

If this is still the case, then it doesn't matter when you go to Ocean Blue.

Although, when I watch the "Mighty Ships" program, they always have the chef getting fresh seafood in the different ports, so who knows.  Could also be different in Europe.  I just thought the whole tour through the kitchen and storage areas was fascinating.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2022 at 9:48 AM, Sthrngary said:

• Recommendation:  This is unrelated to drinking or the Vibe.  A friend told me he always goes to Ocean’s the first night.  I asked why? He said the fish is fresh.  That is brilliant and I will remember it from now on.   

this is a variation on advice doled out by anthony bourdain in his first book, "kitchen confidential." he advised never to order fish on monday, because the restaurant's last delivery was probably on friday... and you'd be eating four day old fish. he later clarified that this tip goes for all purpose restaurants, where seafood is not the primary focus. (seafood restaurants are likely getting daily deliveries.)

of course, at sea... the rules are different.

if the product is frozen, then it makes little difference when you order. and you are probably going to get a rather lackluster piece of fish, anyway. but there are indeed fresh food deliveries in most major ports and products onboarded include steak, pork, chicken and seafood. i'm not saying they don't use some frozen food, but if you're eating at le bistro and cagney's, it's unlikely that your expensive protein was frozen. possible... especially on a long cruise with many sea days, but unlikely.

but that fried fish filet at the buffet or the burger? probably frozen.

gary, i'm enjoying your detailed report immensely. my late mother was an avid cruiser and she  used to tell of her travel adventures in exactly the same way... even describing what she ate, right down to the seeds on the rolls.

this soon became an expression in our family... anytime anybody went into great detail on any topic it was said that they were describing the seeds on the rolls. thank you so much for sharing the seeds on the rolls with your latest cruise adventure.  

i am a frequent solo traveler and will be in the haven on the gem in just a few weeks... the advice you have given here is very good and i will be stealing many of your great ideas. thanks again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mafig said:

What is Q?  Is it a restaurant?

BBQ specialty restaurant. It's hit and miss. Some things are good and some things are awful. I had it on Bliss and I wish I would have made a different dining choice. The reviews of it are all over the map. That lack of consistency kills them. I personally would not book it again. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

Gary-

What's, um, the vibe of The Vibe with regard to couples, singles, etc.?

From what you are describing, it sounds pretty great for staff service and amenities, but seems consistently quiet and low-key.  Is that a fair synopsis?

{I'm considering buying passes for my late April cruise; and I'm not sure if it would be for me as I enjoy the Waterfront bars for meeting fellow cruisers and hanging out}.

The Vibe Beach Club is a limited guest private area on the top deck on the ship. On the Joy, it has a huge bar, two giant hot tubs, lots of padded lounge chairs, never overly busy. The main pool is super crowded, hard to find a lounge chair. When you want lots of people and excitement, go to the pool. When you want personalized service, go to the vibe. $209.00 per person, per 7 day cruise. Lots of videos on YouTube on it.

Hope I answered your questions.

1 hour ago, goldmom said:

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but when we did the behind the scenes tour many years ago the Provisions Officer said that all the proteins on the ship were frozen.  He said that it was to insure that all ships have the exact same quality of meat, seafood , etc.  He said that you would get the same steak in Alaska that you would get in the Caribbean.  There was even a special defrosting room onboard which defrosted in such a way that you couldn't tell the protein was ever frozen.

If this is still the case, then it doesn't matter when you go to Ocean Blue.

Although, when I watch the "Mighty Ships" program, they always have the chef getting fresh seafood in the different ports, so who knows.  Could also be different in Europe.  I just thought the whole tour through the kitchen and storage areas was fascinating.

The kitchen tour was awesome, but what was truly amazing to me was the laundry!

• Like 3

Wednesday, March 23, 2022:

07:15 AM-Port is Cancelled: Been here and done that.  I love sea days.  The moment the captain made the announcement, I called the Spa and booked a 75-minute massage.  It was easy because the spa always has available on port days.  Not that the port was cancelled, I knew do it quick.  It ended up the spa became booked until 08:00 PM.

07:30 AM-Breakfast-Observation Deck 15: As I started this review, I know that as the week goes on, my zest for food goes way down.  Personally, I like to be really hungry when I eat especially when I am eating in a nice place.  This morning, I got my normal cup of Starbucks coffee and a bowl of cereal. I skipped lunch completely and saved my appetite for dinner at Cagney’s Steakhouse.  This was a very wise strategy on my part. 

09:00 AM-The Gym: I did the tread mill again and for those that think it was easy for me, you are completely wrong.  Exercise is not my thing, but my jeans are getting tight, and I am on a cruise.

10:00 AM-Vibe Beach Club:  I promised I would be completely transparent with this journal/reviews.  I overindulged the first few days on the cruise.  Therefore, yesterday and this morning I did not drink any alcoholic drinks.  I needed to dry out to say it mildly. It seems when the crew at the Vibe saw me, they knew I just wanted to be in the shade and left alone.  They created a lovely area in the corner with an umbrella and ice water.  I literally stayed there for an hour or two.  They brought me some fruit and more water from time to time. Ever just want to be alone for a while, that was me. As the time passed, many of my new friends came into the Vibe and I got social.  Remember, I wanted no lunch and was waiting for dinner.

12:30 PM-Spa Massage: I am not sure if anyone who is reading this has ever had a “Deep Tissue Massage”?  It is different than your average massage.  The lovely woman that did it could not have been over 5 foot 4 inches.  Yet she had hands of steel.  When she started on my legs, I was in instant pain.  I had no idea the stress and muscle issues I was having.  For the first time in my life, I asked her to lighten up. She found a stop on my shoulder blade that was a huge stress point.  75 minutes later I was like a wet dish rag.  When you do a spa treatment, you can use the spa’s, shower, steam, and sauna which I did.  These massages are not cheap, but I splurged on myself. Only one negative comment.  I hate the upselling, literally hate it.  I know it is coming and prepare myself for it.  I also hate that unless you look closely at your bill, you may not realize the tip is already included.  No big deal just be aware.

02:30 PM-Vibe Beach Club: Look, this cruise has over 3,000 guests on it.  On a sea day, the pool is completely packed.  I mean not a chair to be found.  The Vibe Beach Club gave me what I would normally have when I stay in the Haven.  My new friends and I did the hot tub and all found a very shady place to visit.  I fell off the wagon at 03:00 PM with a Long Island Ice tea but only one.  This day has been my favorite on the cruise so far. 

05:30 PM-A List Bar: Met my friend NorthernGary at the bar and we finally had that shot of 1942 I promised him.  I had one also of course.

06:00 PM-Cagney’s Steakhouse:  Great and let me say again, GREAT dinner.  Sat next to another solo traveler about my age.  He eats in Cagney’s ever night.  I will share my meal with you but I did not take any pictures this time.

Oysters Rockefeller: These were good but not great.  Glad I got them but not the best I have ever had.

Cesar Salad:  I asked and received extra anchovies. This salad was great. Even better then the Wedge I got the first night.

Prime Rib: Really good and cooked perfect.  I got a backed potato loaded and onion rings.  This is why I did not eat today.  It made this meal even better.

French Champagne:  I had a couple of glasses, and it was over the top as usual.  Say what you want about the Premium Plus Beverage Package.  It works for me.

Seven Layer Chocolate Cake:  OK, three years ago, in the Haven Restaurant; I went off my diet when I say this small round chocolate cake the person next to me was having.  He took on bit and rolled his eyes.  I had one and got hooked.  In November on the Joy, I ordered this same small round cake from the Haven Restaurant but is was not the same.  I was disappointed.  This evening at Cagney’s I ordered the Seven Layer Chocolate Cake.  There was the taste I was remembering but it was much bigger.  This is a must have desert and I had it was a Starbucks coffee which made it even better.

Show-Beatles Sargent Pepper: A quick walk to a standing room only Cavern Club.  This Beatles show was outstanding.  Tonight, was also “Elements” which I saw four months ago and is another must see show.

Conclusion:  It takes a few days to relax and find your head space.  I found it today.  I chilled and just had a good day.  I was feeling a bit lonely yesterday missing my family and feeling a bit guilty cruising alone.  All that was forgotten today.  Instead of Gambling which I had won a couple of hundred dollars this week, I skipped it and spent the money on my spa treatment.  I believe that was a good choice. I hope I have answered most of every ones questions.

Cruise well.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Kzeeguy said:

@Sthrngary , Great reviews...You are  #1 pn the CC best seller list...lol

Sthrngary.JPG

Wow, I had no idea there was that kind of thing. I’m happy to do it, i’m glad people are enjoying it.

Cruise well

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Wednesday, March 23, 2022:

07:15 AM-Port is Cancelled: Been here and done that.  I love sea days.  The moment the captain made the announcement, I called the Spa and booked a 75-minute massage.  It was easy because the spa always has available on port days.  Not that the port was cancelled, I knew do it quick.  It ended up the spa became booked until 08:00 PM.

07:30 AM-Breakfast-Observation Deck 15: As I started this review, I know that as the week goes on, my zest for food goes way down.  Personally, I like to be really hungry when I eat especially when I am eating in a nice place.  This morning, I got my normal cup of Starbucks coffee and a bowl of cereal. I skipped lunch completely and saved my appetite for dinner at Cagney’s Steakhouse.  This was a very wise strategy on my part. 

09:00 AM-The Gym: I did the tread mill again and for those that think it was easy for me, you are completely wrong.  Exercise is not my thing, but my jeans are getting tight, and I am on a cruise.

10:00 AM-Vibe Beach Club:  I promised I would be completely transparent with this journal/reviews.  I overindulged the first few days on the cruise.  Therefore, yesterday and this morning I did not drink any alcoholic drinks.  I needed to dry out to say it mildly. It seems when the crew at the Vibe saw me, they knew I just wanted to be in the shade and left alone.  They created a lovely area in the corner with an umbrella and ice water.  I literally stayed there for an hour or two.  They brought me some fruit and more water from time to time. Ever just want to be alone for a while, that was me. As the time passed, many of my new friends came into the Vibe and I got social.  Remember, I wanted no lunch and was waiting for dinner.

12:30 PM-Spa Massage: I am not sure if anyone who is reading this has ever had a “Deep Tissue Massage”?  It is different than your average massage.  The lovely woman that did it could not have been over 5 foot 4 inches.  Yet she had hands of steel.  When she started on my legs, I was in instant pain.  I had no idea the stress and muscle issues I was having.  For the first time in my life, I asked her to lighten up. She found a stop on my shoulder blade that was a huge stress point.  75 minutes later I was like a wet dish rag.  When you do a spa treatment, you can use the spa’s, shower, steam, and sauna which I did.  These massages are not cheap, but I splurged on myself. Only one negative comment.  I hate the upselling, literally hate it.  I know it is coming and prepare myself for it.  I also hate that unless you look closely at your bill, you may not realize the tip is already included.  No big deal just be aware.

02:30 PM-Vibe Beach Club: Look, this cruise has over 3,000 guests on it.  On a sea day, the pool is completely packed.  I mean not a chair to be found.  The Vibe Beach Club gave me what I would normally have when I stay in the Haven.  My new friends and I did the hot tub and all found a very shady place to visit.  I fell off the wagon at 03:00 PM with a Long Island Ice tea but only one.  This day has been my favorite on the cruise so far. 

05:30 PM-A List Bar: Met my friend NorthernGary at the bar and we finally had that shot of 1942 I promised him.  I had one also of course.

06:00 PM-Cagney’s Steakhouse:  Great and let me say again, GREAT dinner.  Sat next to another solo traveler about my age.  He eats in Cagney’s ever night.  I will share my meal with you but I did not take any pictures this time.

Oysters Rockefeller: These were good but not great.  Glad I got them but not the best I have ever had.

Cesar Salad:  I asked and received extra anchovies. This salad was great. Even better then the Wedge I got the first night.

Prime Rib: Really good and cooked perfect.  I got a backed potato loaded and onion rings.  This is why I did not eat today.  It made this meal even better.

French Champagne:  I had a couple of glasses, and it was over the top as usual.  Say what you want about the Premium Plus Beverage Package.  It works for me.

Seven Layer Chocolate Cake:  OK, three years ago, in the Haven Restaurant; I went off my diet when I say this small round chocolate cake the person next to me was having.  He took on bit and rolled his eyes.  I had one and got hooked.  In November on the Joy, I ordered this same small round cake from the Haven Restaurant but is was not the same.  I was disappointed.  This evening at Cagney’s I ordered the Seven Layer Chocolate Cake.  There was the taste I was remembering but it was much bigger.  This is a must have desert and I had it was a Starbucks coffee which made it even better.

Show-Beatles Sargent Pepper: A quick walk to a standing room only Cavern Club.  This Beatles show was outstanding.  Tonight, was also “Elements” which I saw four months ago and is another must see show.

Conclusion:  It takes a few days to relax and find your head space.  I found it today.  I chilled and just had a good day.  I was feeling a bit lonely yesterday missing my family and feeling a bit guilty cruising alone.  All that was forgotten today.  Instead of Gambling which I had won a couple of hundred dollars this week, I skipped it and spent the money on my spa treatment.  I believe that was a good choice. I hope I have answered most of every ones questions.

Cruise well.

I am an avid massager as I have a lot of back pain and it’s the only thing that helps. 

Couple of things about the spa massages. They are expensive. Nothing really to say about that they just are and I do them anyway. 

The upsell: I have been friends with many of the spa workers. They often work on commission and don’t split tips or gratuities like they do in bars or shops. This is to force them to push product. I have found that if you clearly state you are there for the massage as you go in and are not interested they leave you alone. 

Additional tip: unless things have changed that gratuity on your bill is all the therapists are paid for providing you the service the rest goes to the company. For that reason unless I get the worst service I always add an additional tip. Just my personal choice though. It’s one of the reasons a lot of staff leave spa for another area of the ship. 

• Thanks 1

Really enjoying your review Gary, thanks again for taking the time to provide it for us. As I mentioned previously, we are on Joy May 29th and I am torn on whether or not to try and get Vibe passes. Normally it would be a must for the wife and I however, this trip we are going with 4 other couples who most likely will not spend the extra $. So my question is have you been to Spice H2O yet this trip and if so is it as packed as the main pool area? I'm thinking this may be an alternative for our group to at least TRY to spend outdoor time together and have access to a hot tub. I appreciate your take on it. Thanks much!!

• Like 1

I never use the spa at sea.  The Good Mrs. Benson and I regularly employ a masseuse who is phenomenal and for much less than a shipboard masseuse would charge.  So, it just doesn't meet my "bang for the buck" criterion to use the massage services on board ship.  We can get by without it for a week.

Years ago, I did read an account by one fellow who went to the ship's spa but didn't want to be haragued by an upsell.  What he said he did was hand the masseuse a large bill at the start of the session and told her that was the first half of her tip, and if she refrained completely from trying to sell him on anything else, she would receive the other half of the tip at the end of the session.

He reported that she never said a single word about upsell.

Edited by CDR Benson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, prbffd28 said:

Really enjoying your review Gary, thanks again for taking the time to provide it for us. As I mentioned previously, we are on Joy May 29th and I am torn on whether or not to try and get Vibe passes. Normally it would be a must for the wife and I however, this trip we are going with 4 other couples who most likely will not spend the extra $. So my question is have you been to Spice H2O yet this trip and if so is it as packed as the main pool area? I'm thinking this may be an alternative for our group to at least TRY to spend outdoor time together and have access to a hot tub. I appreciate your take on it. Thanks much!!

Completely packed.  How ever doable.  The issue is if the ship is fully booked it will be even more crowded. I’ll let you make your own decision.The issue is if the ship is fully booked it will be even more crowded. I’ll let you make your own decision.

8:00 AM-Breakfast: MDR, they brought me some assorted croissants, a small pot of coffee and Acqua Panna water. I have enjoyed my breakfast at the main dining room as much as I have ever enjoyed my breakfast in the haven. There are some things you can not Get here however the quality of the food and the service is excellent. When I come in they always come and visit with me and call me by my name. The eggs are always perfect and smoked salmon and bagel was perfect. The regular coffee is pretty good as well.

907969FC-68CF-4FC1-B429-C385B0DB16E3.jpeg

D607A41F-51A6-4808-8B81-9722086697C1.jpeg

A18764EC-B6D4-4798-ABB2-E0629ECF07B9.jpeg

DEE051A8-CFC6-413E-8841-B38EA4C239BF.jpeg

876A19AE-C96D-4C9D-B9D4-B8E4C3069EF4.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Completely packed.  How ever doable.  The issue is if the ship is fully booked it will be even more crowded. I’ll let you make your own decision.The issue is if the ship is fully booked it will be even more crowded. I’ll let you make your own decision.

I truly appreciate your prompt response and your answer is exactly why I am trying to convince my other half that it would be well worth the extra cost. However, she is more worried about how the others will feel about us "disappearing" on them so I guess in a way she's right. Maybe I'll quietly just buy my own and tell everyone that I'm going to take a nap and sneak away!!! Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your trip!

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

8:00 AM-Breakfast: MDR, they brought me some assorted croissants, a small pot of coffee and Acqua Panna water. I have enjoyed my breakfast at the main dining room as much as I have ever enjoyed my breakfast in the haven. There are some things you can not Get here however the quality of the food and the service is excellent. When I come in they always come and visit with me and call me by my name. The eggs are always perfect and smoked salmon and bagel was perfect. The regular coffee is pretty good as well.

I agree with your assessment here.  Breakfast is the one meal that the Haven while good is not leaps and bounds beyond the rest of the ship.  I enjoy breakfast most days in my room, but even when I go to the MDR or O'Sheehans/Local I find it to always be made well, with my eggs at the exact cook I ask for.  I do avoid the round hash brown patties, as they are more fast food like to me, and my old stomach does not enjoy things fast food like it used to.  LOL  Easy enough to sub in the home fried potatoes though!  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, luvcruzing said:

Your breakfast eggs look perfect to me.  I find it to be a rarity on cruise ships.

Breakfast at the main dining room has been perfect every single day. I was blown away. So today I tested them with over easy eggs. They were perfect.Breakfast at the main dining room has been perfect every single day. I was blown away. So today I tested them with over easy eggs. They were perfect.

• Like 1

I am using my GoPro to collect some video footage. I will post it on my YouTube channel when I edit the video. I’m going to just enjoy my day today here in Cozumel. If anybody has any questions feel free to ask. I’m glad everyone is enjoying my real time blog.

Cruise well

PS: @OxoI will go down to guest services today and ask about the General Manager’s name.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

Actually, the photos are correct and it's just that Gary is sideways from all the tequila he's enjoying on board! 

Glad you're having a great time Gary!  

That also fits in with the double posting. 😉

Twice the fun, I hope, Gary!?

We are enjoying your posts.  Thanks.

GC

• Thanks 1