Epic - Bathroom

JMT2568

Do an online search for lengthy discussions and videos of the situation.

The bathroom components are split apart.  As you enter the cabin, the shower component will be on one side of you.  The toilet compartment will be on the other side.  Both compartments use a frosted glass (walls and doors) for privacy.  Some people find the frosting to not be adequate for their particular level of desired privacy.  

The sink is not located in either compartment.  It is located outside of the toilet compartment, more open to the rest of the cabin.  

There is a curtain that can be drawn that will divide the sink, toilet and shower compartments from the rest of the cabin, if desired.   However, if someone walks in from the hallway, they will be walking right into the middle of the compartments.  The curtain does not protect against that.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've enjoyed the Epic. Bathroom is not an issue for me. Look at videos on YouTube to get better clarity. It's notas horrid as it might sound in writing. Happy sailing! I've enjoyed both Europe sailings and caribbean sailings on the Epic. 

I loved the Epic bathroom in the standard balcony cabin. I share the cabin with my husband so there is no reason to be shy about that stuff. Having said that, you can not see anything but shadows through the opaque glass curved doors to either of the compartments that comprise the toilet room and the shower room. If someone should press any part of their body up against the door, then yes, you can see that. Don't forget, there is a curtain with blocks those two compartments from the rest of the cabin.

One great benefit from having opaque glass doors on these two rooms is natural light streams into both spaces. That, to me, is the reason I love this bathroom set up. At night, after dark, the light from the cabin offers a really nice light without having to turn on the main light in either of these "rooms'. I just love that.

I actually liked the bathroom setup on EPIC.  I was travelling with a friend (platonic) and he could use the toilet/shower while I washed my hands, shaved, brushed teeth etc.  Just pull the curtain to separate the toilet/shower area from the rest of the cabin and you had tons of privacy.  The frosting on the doors of the toilet/shower compartments was more than adequate for the odd time where one of us needed to enter/exit the room while the other was in either of those compartments.  Additionally one of us could use the toilet while the other showered if needs be with minimal to no privacy concern.  It was actually more useable than a traditionally setup bathroom setup would have been for the two of us.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2022 at 6:28 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I actually liked the bathroom setup on EPIC.  I was travelling with a friend (platonic) and he could use the toilet/shower while I washed my hands, shaved, brushed teeth etc.  Just pull the curtain to separate the toilet/shower area from the rest of the cabin and you had tons of privacy.  The frosting on the doors of the toilet/shower compartments was more than adequate for the odd time where one of us needed to enter/exit the room while the other was in either of those compartments.  Additionally one of us could use the toilet while the other showered if needs be with minimal to no privacy concern.  It was actually more useable than a traditionally setup bathroom setup would have been for the two of us.

I like this description a lot, it makes me think this is a true win/win. My wife and I often would have times where one of us needed to use the toilet and the other needed to shower or brush teeth/wash face, and having these areas divided is actually really advantageous. Thank you!

On 3/19/2022 at 5:19 PM, coffeebean said:

This video will give you an idea of what the bathroom set up is.......

Epic bathroom set up

We've never sailed on Epic so thanks for that, the visual helped.  It wouldn't bother my wife and I at all.  We always appreciate not having the toilet right next to the sink/shower.

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

I like this description a lot, it makes me think this is a true win/win. My wife and I often would have times where one of us needed to use the toilet and the other needed to shower or brush teeth/wash face, and having these areas divided is actually really advantageous. Thank you!

That is how it worked for us as a married couple with just the two of us, but I wonder how it would be for a couple travelling with children.

It’s disgusting.  After using the toilet, I would hope one would go directly to the sink to wash your hands, but there is no sink near the toilet.  You have to leave the toilet booth touching the door along the way.  Gross.  Unless you say you will use a piece of toilet paper to open the door.  Clearly the setup was dumb and therefore never repeated.

2 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

It’s disgusting.  After using the toilet, I would hope one would go directly to the sink to wash your hands, but there is no sink near the toilet.  You have to leave the toilet booth touching the door along the way.  Gross.  Unless you say you will use a piece of toilet paper to open the door.  Clearly the setup was dumb and therefore never repeated.

Same goes for a public bathroom in regular stalls (not accessible stalls). You open the door with contaminated hands then walk to the sink to wash your hands. No difference.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hated the split bathroom.  Hubby enjoys his 'alone time', and I prefer not to see his flesh-colored outline against the glass, lit by the glow of his phone. 

At home, we close the bathroom door, even if it's just the two of us.  Even after 10+ years, this is a mystery that I prefer to keep mysterious.  (I don't want to HEAR what's going on in there, either!)

I did have to laugh at the sight of a hairy backside pressed against the shower wall when he dropped the soap...

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Sue Do-Over said:

I hated the split bathroom.  Hubby enjoys his 'alone time', and I prefer not to see his flesh-colored outline against the glass, lit by the glow of his phone. 

At home, we close the bathroom door, even if it's just the two of us.  Even after 10+ years, this is a mystery that I prefer to keep mysterious.  (I don't want to HEAR what's going on in there, either!)

I did have to laugh at the sight of a hairy backside pressed against the shower wall when he dropped the soap...

TMI !

(Yup, let's keep some things... mysterious!)

🤣

GC

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2022 at 1:55 PM, ontheweb said:

That is how it worked for us as a married couple with just the two of us, but I wonder how it would be for a couple travelling with children.

Good question, but we don't have kids, so not an issue for us. This is our 10th anniversary trip (don't remember if I said that before) so we're not going to fuss over anything, especially given the last couple of years! 😁

We are looking forward to a few days in Portugal before the cruise and a weekend in NYC after that.

• Like 1

@ Sam Ting:

Really? You use booth hands to do the business? What about using one hand for the contaminaton thing and the non-contaminated hand for the door? Also, as previously mentioned, how do you cope with regular stalls in public places, restaurants etc?

Edited by _Mr.G_