Live from Mediterranean Odyssey - March 28 thru April 9, 2022

Eggtuary

Maybe only of interest to me, but the aircraft carrier USS Truman is wandering around the access point to Split. She’s been there for a few days, doing NATO exercises. Perhaps you’ll get a glimpse on Wednesday. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, curmudgeon98 said:

The cruise lines are always a bit challenged on Venice hotels.  Too many passengers have a set of expectation for the hotel that are hard to meet in the old city.  There just aren't that many rooms in the Danielli or Gritti Palace, and they are very expensive.  Away from Venice proper they've had more flexibility to build modern buildings, so you get places like the JWM, Hilton Molino, and Kempinski;  they aren't really part of the city, but at least they have that water access feel.  Mestre is just generic suburb. 

We have a favorite hotel, but it's small, quirky (no elevator), and still not cheap.  But it works for us.  

Thanks for explaining. This will be our first visit. 

2 hours ago, Eggtuary said:

Yes, we did.  Fortunately, our luggage finally showed up, a little before 6 pm.  

Thanks much Eggtuary, but what I really want to know is if the AirTags are inside your suitcases or in the luggage tag. I have been reading that sometimes they don’t work in your luggage. At the moment, we have ours in our Viking luggage tags, where they fit quite nicely. 

7 hours ago, Eggtuary said:

I mentioned before that my wife and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary. This lovely cake was waiting for us, plus a bottle of sparkling wine. (Our welcoming bottle of champagne was in our mini-fridge).

8FED7743-C4CC-4B7F-914A-5C2D2288BED8.thumb.jpeg.359038a6dd77c1bcb8a601cea7cafb55.jpeg

What a wonderful welcome for your very special  anniversary cruise.

Enjoy every minute of your cruise and exploring the Viking ship. 

I remember when you were just think about booking a Viking cruise.

Look forward to your live report in coming days.

Enjoy 🥰

• Like 2

1 hour ago, millybess said:

Thanks much Eggtuary, but what I really want to know is if the AirTags are inside your suitcases or in the luggage tag. I have been reading that sometimes they don’t work in your luggage. At the moment, we have ours in our Viking luggage tags, where they fit quite nicely. 

Oh, sorry. They are actually inside our luggage. I attached each to an internal zipper. Seems to work fairly well. 

32 minutes ago, Eggtuary said:

Oh, sorry. They are actually inside our luggage. I attached each to an internal zipper. Seems to work fairly well. 

That’s great Eggtuary. Good to know. We are so looking forward to hearing more from you on your voyage. Enjoy!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 20Cruise20 said:

The JWM is a beautiful property on a peaceful island. (We walked the island one morning and enjoyed the fresh air and extra movement.) The water taxi was easy to use to access historic Venice at St. Mark's Square. Viking also ran shuttles on the hour. Regardless of the testing situation, we would not join a pre-extension again. Staying in the right area and maximizing every minute of vacation is more important than the minor transport convenience.  

Happy to answer questions about the first part of our journey documented above. Will augment Eggtuary's experience of embarkment. 

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. We are on an Empires of the Mediterranean in June with a pre-extension in Venice. I was interested to hear you stayed at the JWM and not the Hilton Molino Stucky as advertised.

- When did you learn of the change in hotel?

- And is there time to sightsee before transfer to the cruise terminal, bus ride and embarkation?

Thanks for any insights and hope you have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coachma said:

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. We are on an Empires of the Mediterranean in June with a pre-extension in Venice. I was interested to hear you stayed at the JWM and not the Hilton Molino Stucky as advertised.

- When did you learn of the change in hotel?

- And is there time to sightsee before transfer to the cruise terminal, bus ride and embarkation?

Thanks for any insights and hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I have same question on hotel as we have post excursion in May.  38 days until we cruise and don’t have details of pre-cruise in Istanbul or post in Venice 

Pre-Excursion Response: 

We learned about 3 weeks before our sailing of the change of hotels. We were disappointed in the change from the Hilton to the JWM as we understood that the island with the Hilton had local restaurants and enjoyable exploration.  

We clearly understood the challenge of large hotels being outside the historic area and the usage of the hotel water taxi, but, were not satisfied with the experience compared to the cost. Pleasantries were abundant at the hotel, however, the details were just not in place. Many Viking guests had challenges at the hotel restaurant. (We did not.) The breakfast buffet was filled with quantity, not quality. Our room was very nice, but, very warm. Based on the time of year, AC was not available within the guest rooms. 

I cannot provide a factual answer to the sightseeing question. We were provided with a specific time to meet in the lobby for transfer - 1015 AM. (Along with about 40 others.) I do know that there was a 915 transfer group as well. I would suggest that you speak with the on-site Viking host to understand transfer time options and if the ability exists. (It very well might be accomplished.) 

I've seen some other discussion regarding on-board day one test results. We submitted our samples about 1215 PM and had our TV notification @ 5 PM. 

I'll close with a just in case you need to know note. Be prepared to place your luggage outside your room the night before departure similar to the end of your actual cruise. 

1 hour ago, 20Cruise20 said:

Pre-Excursion Response: 

We learned about 3 weeks before our sailing of the change of hotels. We were disappointed in the change from the Hilton to the JWM as we understood that the island with the Hilton had local restaurants and enjoyable exploration.  

We clearly understood the challenge of large hotels being outside the historic area and the usage of the hotel water taxi, but, were not satisfied with the experience compared to the cost. Pleasantries were abundant at the hotel, however, the details were just not in place. Many Viking guests had challenges at the hotel restaurant. (We did not.) The breakfast buffet was filled with quantity, not quality. Our room was very nice, but, very warm. Based on the time of year, AC was not available within the guest rooms. 

I cannot provide a factual answer to the sightseeing question. We were provided with a specific time to meet in the lobby for transfer - 1015 AM. (Along with about 40 others.) I do know that there was a 915 transfer group as well. I would suggest that you speak with the on-site Viking host to understand transfer time options and if the ability exists. (It very well might be accomplished.) 

I've seen some other discussion regarding on-board day one test results. We submitted our samples about 1215 PM and had our TV notification @ 5 PM. 

I'll close with a just in case you need to know note. Be prepared to place your luggage outside your room the night before departure similar to the end of your actual cruise. 

This is wonderful intelligence! But I'd like to get clarification on some points.

We arrive on Day 1, meeing a VIking host at the airport for transportation to the island.  On Day 2 we have the day to ourselves. In the evening we leave our luggage outside the room. We don't see our luggage again until we enter our stateroom on the ship.  So far, so good.

On Day 3 we have two VIking departure options: leave at 915 or 1015. We board the ship, take a saliva test, and roam the ship with masks on until we get an all clear from the test.  MY KEY QUESTION is, can we check out of the hotel and ignore Viking's transportation to the ship?  Rather, can we wander the streeets of Venice all day and on our own arrive at the ship later in the day, at which time we'll take the test? I'm not comfortable sacrificing an entire day to await a saliva test.

3 hours ago, 20Cruise20 said:

Pre-Excursion Response: 

Thank you! This is most helpful - especially the suggestion to speak to the Viking host about transfer options and the heads-up about luggage.

4 hours ago, austinetc said:

This is wonderful intelligence! But I'd like to get clarification on some points.

SNIP

MY KEY QUESTION is, can we check out of the hotel and ignore Viking's transportation to the ship?  Rather, can we wander the streeets of Venice all day and on our own arrive at the ship later in the day, at which time we'll take the test? I'm not comfortable sacrificing an entire day to await a saliva test.

This is a great question.  Previous posters have inferred that individual taxi or private cars are not welcome at Fusina

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

This is a great question.  Previous posters have inferred that individual taxi or private cars are not welcome at Fusina

Can't provide a definite answer to the question regarding Fusina, but can provide information on port security.

The International Ship & Port Facility Security Code (ISPS) dictates that ships and ports must develop appropriate security plans, based on the Marine Security (Marsec) level that is in force. Both ship and port must be at the same level. Since Fusina has adjacent oil terminals, I expect they will have a higher level of security.

Industrial ports, such as Fusina, are often secure facilities that require a port pass to enter. In these ports, it is common for no private cars, or taxis to be provided entry. In Metro Port Vancouver, the public has access to the Cruise Terminal, but not other areas of the port. When the ISPS Code was implemented, an excellent restaurant on the waterfront had to close, as customers and staff could no longer access the facility.

Based on the security provisions I read from other posts, I expect there is a good chance that no taxis or private vehicles will be permitted port access. 

I should also mention that the ISPS Code has 3 Marsec Levels. If taxis and private autos were permitted access at Marsec 1, if the Govt increased to Marsec 2 or 3, the enhanced security provisions would most likely restrict  access. Therefore, what is available now, is subject to change.

Edited by Heidi13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

The key question I have is whether Viking, for some obtuse reason, require that people booked on the precruise extension travel to the ship per some set schedule?  I am hesitant to ask Viking about any of this because, frankly, I don't trust corporate Viking to give me a reliable answer. I desire an answer so I can best plan for my two(?) days in Venice. 

My online research suggests:

1) It is 800 yards from the entrance of the Marine Terminal to the ship. I get this from MarineTraffic showing where the ship was yesterday and Google Maps telling me where the entrance is.  If, as expected, Viking will transport our luggage from hotel to ship, this is a trivial distance.

2) The hourly scheduled water taxi to Fusina ($9 each) delivers people to a dock outside the Marine Terminal fenceline. From there it's a roundabout 2 miles to the ship. Assuming one can get a cab from there, it's again just an 800 yard hike.

3) A taxi from Venice to the Ternimal entrance would cost about $25. This would be my choice I think.

40 minutes ago, austinetc said:

I desire an answer so I can best plan for my two(?) days in Venice. 

As I understand it, since large ships can no longer dock near the historic area in Venice and need to be accommodated in the industrial docks, docking assignments are somewhat fluid.   You might want to keep in mind that the actual dock could change at the last minute.  Also, you might start a new thread on the main Viking forum page to see if there is ever any flexibility with onboarding time slots. 

Edited by Sprigs616

Austinetc:

I so wish that I could help with your planning. (This board has provided me with a tremendous amount of useful information that I'm trying to pay forward.)  Your struggle is the exact reason that we hesitantly decided to select the pre-cruise excursion. The other very, very, minor point to keep in mind is that you will need to consider what you'll do with your overnight/carry-on items, if you're able to complete some independent touring. Check items at the hotel and return to the hotel to retrieve them, "haul" items with you, etc.  

Unrelated point:

There were some questions about guests on the ship. Multiple crew members have confirmed 600 passengers. Of those, 100 had flight delays in the US and were not able to board the ship until today.  

1 hour ago, 20Cruise20 said:

Austinetc:

I so wish that I could help with your planning. (This board has provided me with a tremendous amount of useful information that I'm trying to pay forward.)  Your struggle is the exact reason that we hesitantly decided to select the pre-cruise excursion. The other very, very, minor point to keep in mind is that you will need to consider what you'll do with your overnight/carry-on items, if you're able to complete some independent touring. Check items at the hotel and return to the hotel to retrieve them, "haul" items with you, etc.  

Unrelated point:

There were some questions about guests on the ship. Multiple crew members have confirmed 600 passengers. Of those, 100 had flight delays in the US and were not able to board the ship until today.  

That sure seems like a proves flying in at least 1 day early is prudent.

• Like 1

At tonight's Viking Welcome Reception, they confirmed there are 614 passengers aboard.  I probably won't get the numbers exactly right (and may miss some), but my memory is:

* 8 Australians

* 12 Canadians

* 10 Brits

* 1 Chinese

* 1 Japanese

* 2 Norwegians

* 1 Brazilian

* 1 Mexican

* 570-some-odd from US

• Like 5

Breakfast was delivered by room service 2 minutes before our requested time slot (not that I'm complaining!  I was actually quite impressed).  The eggs were impressively hot and fresh, which seems to me an impressive logistical feat for room service delivery.  

My wife and I decided to bail on our included excursion.  We simply weren't motivated to go on a hurried, guided tour of a place we'd explored on our own just 2 days prior.  However, I think we'll be glad for the tours on our other stops, as all will be new to us, and it will be good not to have to figure out logistics.  We have a couple of ports with short excursions, after which we might do a little exploration before returning to the ship.  We'll just see what we're up to each day!

For lunch, we decided we wanted something "from home" and picked up burgers, fries and onion rings at the Pool Grill.  Actually, my wife decided on the cheesesteak sandwich at the last minute, which turned out to be an excellent choice.  The onion rings were among my favorites anywhere.

For dinner, we went to Manfredi's for the first time.  We ordered the gnocchi, and the waitress immediately warned us they wouldn't be the pillowy little dumplings we were used to anywhere else.  We went through with the order out of curiosity, but they weren't our favorites.  The famous ribeye steak was delicious, and the calamari was perfectly cooked.  My wife got the mushroom soup, which was quite tasty.  The tiramisu was very nice, as was the Amarone Cremoso al Cioccalato.

The Viking Welcome Reception was good fun, with champagne handed out as we entered the theater, and some enjoyable performances, including a most impressive Adele cover by the Asst Cruise Director, Francesca.  Cruise Director Jenna does a good job running the show, keeping things moving along with her humor, and was a wonderful singer herself.  

The weather is supposed to turn pretty rainy over the next few days, but at least the temps should be pretty good.  Thankfully, my wife and I picked up great packable, lightly insulated rain jackets a couple of months ago, specifically for this trip.  Of course, Viking will also provide umbrellas if we want them.

On to Split!

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Eggtuary said:

calamari was perfectly cooked.

My mouth is watering thinking about  your dinner at Manfredi. I agree about the  calamari. 

I will have to wait another year before I   return to Manfredi's on Viking ship. 

Edited by Azulann

12 minutes ago, Azulann said:

My mouth is watering thinking abut  your dinner at Manfredi. I agree about the  calamari. 

I will have to wait another year before I   return to Manfredi's on Viking ship. 

Lightly breaded, not greasy nor rubbery. Really nice sauce with it. I was popping those little rings like popcorn! 😀

Edited by Eggtuary
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the update & info!  My mouth is watering so much.  We fly to Madrid tomorrow for our 3 pre-cruise days there before embarking in Barcelona. Will wave to you from Viking Sea as we pass you somewhere around Rome I presume.  Cheers!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eggtuary said:

Lightly breaded, not greasy nor rubbery. Really nice sauce with it. I was popping those little rings like popcorn! 😀

Good to know your calamari was not rubbery. On Venus, Dec. 2021, we tried the Calamari.  Ours was.  We didn't say anything, but didn't order it on our 2nd night.  Everything else we had both nights was perfect.

On 3/28/2022 at 7:24 PM, Eggtuary said:

We put AirTags inside our luggage during a recent trip to Hawaii, and they worked fine. 

• Thanks 1