Halifax

leith

Hello, 

We are taking a quick 4 day from NJ to NS and back.  We are in Halifax all day on a Thursday in August.  This is my first time to NS, what do you recommend to not miss.  I expect I will go back again one day, but for now this is it.  Any insight would be great!

TIA!!

Christy

49 minutes ago, leith said:

Hello, 

We are taking a quick 4 day from NJ to NS and back.  We are in Halifax all day on a Thursday in August.  This is my first time to NS, what do you recommend to not miss.  I expect I will go back again one day, but for now this is it.  Any insight would be great!

TIA!!

Christy

Christy,

You will be going to one of our favorite cities in NS.

We have been there many times in the past on cruises.

There is the Maritime Museum with exhibits of Titanic. Wonderful Waterfront walkway along the Harbor. Many shops for shopping. Many good restaurants like the one we like called Salty's Seafood.

You can also go see the Citadel with a wonderful view of the entire city from atop a hill. Near is also the beautiful Public Gardens. Also the Fairview Cemetery which contains many victims of the Titanic event.

A day trip quite a distance away is Peggy's Cove.

Enjoy your trip. Happy to help. 

• Like 4

A good way to get a sense of the city and what you'd like to see on your return is to take the HOHO bus, and then choose one place to see in more depth for your first visit. My favorite is the Maritime museum, but the Citadel and Gardens are good, too. Be sure to have a lobster roll while you're there!

Save the long bus trips like Peggy's Cove or Lunenburg for a second visit. Start with this wonderful city!

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 5

We will be Halifax in early September.  I am having trouble finding the HOHO bus tour online. HOHO busses are our go-to way to visit a new torn., Wondering if covid caused some of these tours to shut down.  If you can share any info on this for us we would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

I spent a lot of time searching as well. I discovered the only way to get our HOHO tickets was through the cruise line (RCCL) for our trip in May. So, I waited for a decent sale. It was very strange because you can see reviews on TripAdvisor and elsewhere from non cruise folks, but I believe that was precovid. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 8:03 PM, leith said:

Hello, 

TIA!!

Christy

I will be there in August as well. Have been to NS many times and have seen it truly grow.  I’ll be taking my niece to the Maritime Museum. Will grab some lunch and do a little shopping. 

On 4/15/2022 at 2:21 AM, Ashland said:

We've done an amazing tour with Halifax Titanic Historical Tours with Paul McNeill. One of the best tours we've ever had !!!!!!!!!

Good to hear! We have him booked for our September Summit cruise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nannyny said:

I will be there in August as well. Have been to NS many times and have seen it truly grow.  I’ll be taking my niece to the Maritime Museum. Will grab some lunch and do a little shopping. 

Hi Nannyny,

From another Brooklynite!

We have been to Halifax many times and have always eaten at Salty's along the Harbor Walk.

Very good food and menu you can preview online. Also you can eat on the outside deck with a beautiful view of the active harbor. Oh By The Way......Many shops along the way.

• Like 1

We were looking at the Hop On Hop Off bus, but all the recent reviews say the buses can no longer go to Fairview Cemetery due to construction/sinkhole. However, those reviews were pre-pandemic. It concerns me that the Gray Line site doesn't mention it as a stop. Does anyone know for sure?

On 4/27/2022 at 6:31 PM, publicpersona said:

We were looking at the Hop On Hop Off bus, but all the recent reviews say the buses can no longer go to Fairview Cemetery due to construction/sinkhole. However, those reviews were pre-pandemic. It concerns me that the Gray Line site doesn't mention it as a stop. Does anyone know for sure?

Interested as well.

On 3/31/2022 at 7:02 PM, SCcruiser123 said:

We will be Halifax in early September.  I am having trouble finding the HOHO bus tour online. HOHO busses are our go-to way to visit a new torn., Wondering if covid caused some of these tours to shut down.  If you can share any info on this for us we would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

We just booked the Big Pink Bus HOHO bus on the RCI Adventure of the Seas for our cruise in Sept.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

We did the HoHo bus last week on a port stop.  It does stop at the cemetery, but we did not get off there.  It was a great way to get a feel of the town, although a little expensive.  We bought our tickets on shore and they billed it to our stateroom account.  Then we walked along the harbourfront for a couple of hours and went to the Maritime Museum, which was very interesting.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 8:58 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Christy,

You will be going to one of our favorite cities in NS.

We have been there many times in the past on cruises.

There is the Maritime Museum with exhibits of Titanic. Wonderful Waterfront walkway along the Harbor. Many shops for shopping. Many good restaurants like the one we like called Salty's Seafood.

You can also go see the Citadel with a wonderful view of the entire city from atop a hill. Near is also the beautiful Public Gardens. Also the Fairview Cemetery which contains many victims of the Titanic event.

A day trip quite a distance away is Peggy's Cove.

Enjoy your trip. Happy to help. 

Is the Citadel walking distance from the ship?

34 minutes ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

Is the Citadel walking distance from the ship?

Up a very long steep hill but doable for some...us we preferred our tour with Paul McNeill.

• Like 1