Tulip Time Cruise - Bringing back bulbs?

chives

I am going on a "Tulip Time" cruise leaving Amsterdam on April 3rd.  I think that we are allowed to bring a small amount of bulbs back to the US if they have a required certificate.  Just wondered if anyone had ever done that and was the process difficult.  Did you have any success in planting the bulbs?  Seems a shame to go to Holland for Tulip time and not bring back some tulips.  Thanks for any insight.

1 hour ago, chives said:

I am going on a "Tulip Time" cruise leaving Amsterdam on April 3rd.  I think that we are allowed to bring a small amount of bulbs back to the US if they have a required certificate.  Just wondered if anyone had ever done that and was the process difficult.  Did you have any success in planting the bulbs?  Seems a shame to go to Holland for Tulip time and not bring back some tulips.  Thanks for any insight.

I had bulbs shipped to my sister and brother-in-law in the US, and it was very easy. (The cost was considerably less than shipping to Canada, where I live, presumably because the paperwork was more difficult.) If that is the case, I'm not sure that it would be more difficult to bring them with you.

I recall being told to order bulbs for shipment rather than buying to carry home because the shipped bulbs would be harvested at a better point in their lifecycle than the bulbs available in April. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m not a botanist, so YMMV.

• Like 1

You are better off ordering bulbs for shipment in the fall. As CPT Trips mentioned the bulbs you purchase now, in April are last year's bulbs and they will just sit at your house until you plant them in the fall.  The ones you order now for shipping  are still in the ground now and will be harvested later in time for fall planting.

I was very excited when I ordered bulbs at Keukenhof and spent a lot of €s.  Thought they were something special.  Found the same varieties at my local nursery for less than half.   Lesson learned.

RB 

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies.  Once I'm there, I'll see if it makes sense to bring the bulbs back with me or to have them shipped.  The point about the April bulbs being from last year is well taken and something I hadn't really considered.