Can anyone confirm if "iHealth Verified COVID Test Service" is acceptable/accepted by NCL?

chrisdar1

Would love to hear if anyone has actually used the iHealth proctored test.  How did it go and was it accepted by NCL?

I've seen many comments/posts about using eMed or Inspire, and I am more than willing to go that route if needed.  I've also seen several comments/posts about using the iHealth Verified COVID Test Service that is compatible with the free iHealth COVID tests available from the government/USPS, however I have not heard from anyone that has used the iHealth service and had it accepted as proof of negative test 48 hours prior to boarding.

I'm asking because the proctored iHealth tests are only $20 per session (one session per person).   So technically, with the free iHealth tests it would only cost me $80 for my wife and two daughters to test.   (Instead of the $150 for the six/$140 for 4 (pack of 2) of eMed tests, or $190 for 4 Inspire Antigen tests)

If iHealth is accepted (it is CDC approved for travel back into the US), it looks like the actual testing time would be longer becuase it only allows you to book one person for each session (which would mean almost 2 hours for 4-30 minute sessions), where I've read that with the others (Inspire/eMed) you can do your entire family during one 30-minute session.

We'll be testing from our hotel in New Orleans on the Friday before our Sunday cruise, so maybe it just makes sense for me to go the eMed route.....

Thanks in advance, 

Chris

Edited by chrisdar1

• chrisdar1 changed the title to Can anyone confirm if "iHealth Verified COVID Test Service" is acceptable/accepted by NCL?

I, too, would like to know if the ihealth protored test is acceptable for NCL.  We board Sunday but are flying into Miami tomorrow @ 6am, which is too early for the rapid testing through CVS. Our other option is to test at the Miami airport once we land. Would like to know if anyone has experince with either. 

TIA,

9 minutes ago, Elizhealy said:

From the IHealth website

"Only unused iHealth tests are accepted for the service."

https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihealth-verified-covid-test-service

Thanks @Elizhealy.   

Those are the tests I have.  You can get them for free from here:  COVID Home Tests | USPS.  The proctored tests can be scheduled here ($20 for each person):  iHealth Verified COVID Test Service – iHealth Labs Inc .   I'm just nervous that NCL will say that they're not acceptable tests for sailing.

FYI - not ALL of the free tests via USPS are the iHealth ones.  I got a different brand.  However, they are inexpensive and easily available from Amazon.  They might also be eligible for reimbursement through regular health insurance (mine were, but I can't speak for anyone else).

I am planning to try to use the iHealth verified test for my upcoming cruise on April 9. So I'll be following this thread closely.  From everything I've read, they should be acceptable for NCL - but "should be" and "will be" are two different things.  I'm hoping another brave soul beats me to being the guinea pig on this one, but if not, I'll take one for the team.  🙂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kaprin02 said:

FYI - not ALL of the free tests via USPS are the iHealth ones.  I got a different brand.  However, they are inexpensive and easily available from Amazon.  They might also be eligible for reimbursement through regular health insurance (mine were, but I can't speak for anyone else).

I am planning to try to use the iHealth verified test for my upcoming cruise on April 9. So I'll be following this thread closely.  From everything I've read, they should be acceptable for NCL - but "should be" and "will be" are two different things.  I'm hoping another brave soul beats me to being the guinea pig on this one, but if not, I'll take one for the team.  🙂

Please let us know - also planning to use mid-April.

21 hours ago, casofilia said:

I suggest you send a photo of the test to your PCC and ask for acceptance confirmation.   I did that with the paperwork I got from my tester here in NZ

Good idea.  Thanks.

@chrisdar1 - have you considered emailing iHealth customer care/support/service and specifically ask them if they can vouch that their verified test service, which just started up this month (per my understanding & marketing/email received) that others have successfully used it for cruise travel ?

If iHealth's testing service is CDC-accepted & compliant for air travel when returning from abroad, then I would suspect, guess and think that the same generated & proctored test results should be fine for the cruising public to use.  I could be totally wrong on this, but eMED and Inspire are just other "vendors" that had an early start with EUA from the Feds in doing proctored test virtually and happened to be selected by NCL as examples, but not exclusive ... 

We will be using our reports generated by a different lab that partnered with NYC Dept. of Health & the municipal healthcare system (HHC) - not necessary known or recognized by contracted shore agents under contract to NCL to work their pier/cruise terminal screening or check-in.  As long as the generated report meet the specifications & requirements and isn't a fake, short of getting it free, $20 per test per appointment via iHealth isn't bad, especially for those that received the free kits and it's available unused.   NCL isn't stating that they will ONLY accept proctored test reports from eMED, Inspire & others on their list, am I missing something here ... 

If you have extra kits on hand, why not give this a dry run and get tested, and see what the report is like and compare theirs to other typical testing results issued.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

NCL isn't stating that they will ONLY accept proctored test reports from eMED, Inspire & others on their list, am I missing something here ... 

It's funny you say that...my mom emailed to ask about the iHealth verified tests, and NCL told her only Inspire was allowed for at-home tests.  Which is absolutely not true, because NCL specifically lists emed as an option on their website. I'm hoping to get some confirmation (either from another passenger or from NCL) that the iHealth verified tests are ok, but like you said, since they're CDC compliant, I would think they should work. 

• Like 2

I've looked at the NCL site but I can't see anywhere that they state that specific tests/providers are not acceptable. It seems that they "recommend" certain ones, but doesn't say that these are the ONLY ones. Am I missing something? I'm in Canada, cruising next month, and was planning on using the same telehealth monitored test/provider as I use to fly into the US. Is this going to be a problem? What even is NCL looking for when verifying? The certificate that is issued has all the info NCL asks for (I just did it last month to fly to Miami)...I find the US providers recommended by NCL are way more costly once you factor in exchange rate and shipping to Canada.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

@chrisdar1 - have you considered emailing iHealth customer care/support/service and specifically ask them if they can vouch that their verified test service, which just started up this month (per my understanding & marketing/email received) that others have successfully used it for cruise travel ?

@mking8288 I did email iHealth for a sample report that they provide after testing.  That was two days ago, I’ll update you if/when I hear back from them.   

• Like 2

On 3/24/2022 at 10:12 AM, chrisdar1 said:

I've seen many comments/posts about using eMed or Inspire, and I am more than willing to go that route if needed. 

You see those companies mentioned because in the instructions sent to you by NCL, those are the companies that are recommended. Can you ignore the information in the instructions from NCL,,, sure. Should you ignore the information from NCL,,, may be. Just make sure that the report you get complies with the minimum information required by the cruise line. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

Hoping soon someone will report back if they were able to just go to the Pier (which one) and pay to be tested at that time.  Like before March 1, only difference passenger pays upfront for test?????????????? 

Simply to clarify - -

You want somebody to verify costs for COVID-19 testing done at pier.

Is your timeline before March 1 (past), April 1, or May 1?

Also, you wish to know which pier, correct?

10 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

Hoping soon someone will report back if they were able to just go to the Pier (which one) and pay to be tested at that time.  Like before March 1, only difference passenger pays upfront for test?????????????? 

Others have asked the same question about getting tested at the pier and to date no one has replied.  

I have to assume that since NCL says that option is available it is, but it's intended as an option of last resort, to be used only if you are unable to be tested before you arrive at the pier. 

On 3/24/2022 at 11:24 AM, kaybeebee said:

I, too, would like to know if the ihealth protored test is acceptable for NCL.  We board Sunday but are flying into Miami tomorrow @ 6am, which is too early for the rapid testing through CVS. Our other option is to test at the Miami airport once we land. Would like to know if anyone has experince with either. 

TIA,

@kaybeebee Curious, what did you end up doing for your tests?

I honestly think literally any testing site or company that you have an email from that says you tested negative via PCR or antigen test in last 48 hours will be accepted. They didn’t finetooth comb anybody’s - they just looked at the date and that it was negative and that was it. 

Also, yes there was a couple in front of us that were not wearing masks in the big long line that you had to wear a mask in, and they said have your COVID vaccine cards and your negative test in the last 48 hours ready and if you don’t have it come see me so we can get you tested… and these two went to go see the lady and went and got tested. (This was in San Pedro last weekend.)

On 3/25/2022 at 3:22 PM, ceilidh1 said:

I've looked at the NCL site but I can't see anywhere that they state that specific tests/providers are not acceptable. It seems that they "recommend" certain ones, but doesn't say that these are the ONLY ones. Am I missing something? I'm in Canada, cruising next month, and was planning on using the same telehealth monitored test/provider as I use to fly into the US. Is this going to be a problem? What even is NCL looking for when verifying? The certificate that is issued has all the info NCL asks for (I just did it last month to fly to Miami)...I find the US providers recommended by NCL are way more costly once you factor in exchange rate and shipping to Canada.

I too am sailing next month and have purchased the Switch tests to enter the US (for a two week vacation) and to board the ship. I’ve seen comments that they are acceptable but I’m still a little nervous about this whole process. I guess plan B would be spending $$ at the pier if they don’t accept it. 

On 3/24/2022 at 11:24 AM, kaybeebee said:

I, too, would like to know if the ihealth protored test is acceptable for NCL. 

If this has been posted, I missed it. Apologies in advance. This is from an email I received from NCL for our April TA.

td

Vaccinated guests:

• At time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test within two days prior to embarkation date for cruises originating in a U.S. port and three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. While you can use any certified facility to take this test, to facilitate, Norwegian has partnered with Inspired Diagnostics lab to ensure that guests have access to a quick, efficient, and easy way to access the required FDA-approved proctored in-home antigen test prior to embarkation from the comfort of their own home.

Inspired Diagnostics is a subsidiary of Inspire Health Alliance, a leader in best-in-class health services. Testing at home is safe, simple, and convenient. Purchasing in-home testing kits is simple.

a. Sign up on the testing site https://inspirediagnostics.com/ncl/

b. Receive the test kit(s) by UPS

c. Schedule an on-line proctoring consultation

d. Receive certified results via email

• For vaccinated guests who are unable to provide proof of a negative result at the time of embarkation, antigen testing will be available at the terminal at the guest’s expense (cost may vary depending on the port and the vendor).