Cancel cruise prior to full payment is fully refundable right?

petuniaflower

Hello, we cruise quite a bit and have had to cancel a handful over the years, and have a Carnival 5 night booked for August that we have to cancel and our agent is saying he can only refund part and do a $50 credit..Ive never heard of this before..is this correct?

We cancelled a cruise because the embarkation port was changed,  and that would mean adding flights and a hotel stay

We were charged 

I’ve been meaning to question this with a phone call or letter, but I haven’t 

Good luck

Edited by ginabab

If you booked as Early Saver, you will lose 50 pp, and the rest of the deposit is issued as FCC.  Once, I was expecting to lose the 100, but the rep gave me a "one time exception" because I was willing to rebook on the spot.   It's worth asking if that's an option if you have a future date already in mind. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You have to click to see the Terms & Conditions *before* you book. They will be spelled out in tiny letters at the bottom of your confirmation documents, but that's too late (in most states?). 

A PVP will NOT bring this to your attention, nor volunteer an alternative rate/code that is refundable, at least not without being asked -- which I didn't. And yes, my Holland American PCC *does* do that quite regularly for me. As well as the fact that HAL posted "Best Value" (refundable deposit) and "Best Price" (not refundable) prices right on the on-line booking pages...

ETA: I did find the T&C on the dummy-booking pages, if you scroll down below Q&A the same paragraph is there that clicking after the Booking Code brings up. I felt a bit taken advantage of, but then I'm used to how HAL does business and should have been alert to differences.

Recently "cancelled" a cruise. PVP suggested NOT cancelling, offered that we could select a different sailing at some future date. She changed the date on the booking. So same booking#, different date, different ship, no fees. I don't know what she did. Original booking was VIFP offer, so I thought we were stuck.... 

• Thanks 1

My PVP always tell us our options.  Since the restart, only had to pay one penalty of $100 for switching a 2023 cruse to a later date, but the rate difference more than made up for it.  For changes to 2022 cruises, no penalties to change dates or ships. 

• Thanks 1