Live-- Enchantment of the Seas 8-night SE Coast and Perfect Day: March 25- April 2, 2022

10 minutes ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

I disagree completely with #1. Having been on a ship that went into an emergency mayday situation and subsequent evacuation of over half the passengers, I feel that any muster procedure that doesn't include getting out there and putting on a lifevest is insufficient. When the actual emergency came, nerves and adrenaline kicked in such that I didn't even know how to put the lifevest on. #2 and 3 are great. It was nice to just relax in the room till the appropriate disembarkation time. 

I understand your perspective after being on the Viking Sky.  

However, I do not feel standing out on deck, often 10 deep, and watching someone else put on a vest would prepare me any better than the current procedure.  Lately some ships hold the muster drill in interior lounges.  I do feel it is important for passengers to actually visit the muster station so they know where it is.  

I believe the emergency signal is 7 short and 1 long blast of the ship's horn.  But, I can tell you by the time I heard the 4th blast I would be heading to my muster station. 

• Thanks 1

I had the opportunity to talk with 2 crew members about their experiences when sailing stopped in March 2020. 

The Next Cruise agent, Andre, said he was onboard ships for 11 months straight.  He had been on Symphony and was transferred to Majesty shortly before the stop.  [Largest to smallest ship]  He said after awhile they decided to use the Majesty to return crew to Europe so he was transferred back to the Symphony.  He said it became a hotel ship.  He was able to complete 2 semesters of college during his 11 months.  

The other was our waiter, Ashley.  He and the assistant waiter are both from India.  He said they both returned last November on the ame plane from India to sailing via a special charter flight Royal Caribbean sent to India to get crew.  

They both said it has been hard to get additional crew.  Many former crew got land-based jobs and others married and started families.  

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas
  • Like 2

Another issue a previous cruiser on Enchantment of the Seas had was that some items were not available.  We found this to be true, also.  I tried to order a caramel iced coffee on day 2 and they said they did not have caramel.  By day 6 they had it.  Various bars did not have pina colada mix at the beginning of the cruise.  Later it reappeared.  Today I tried to order a mudslide and they bartender said they were out of Kalua. We have not experienced this on other cruises.  However, Virginia liquor stores are routinely out of some brands.  I think it is a sign of the times we live in.

It did not really bother me that much, but I can see where someone with a coffee card or a drink package might be annoyed.  

I see via Marinetraffic that you are coming up the bay, almost level with Deltaville.:classic_tongue:  Looked like you went over the bridge tunnel about 9:15PMish.  Sure enjoyed cruising along with you and exploring some of your different ports.  You've certainly entertained and informed me as I am getting ready to take your place.  Thanx for all the time and effort you have put into this thread.  Here's wishing you an easy, safe and uneventful trip home.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Another issue a previous cruiser on Enchantment of the Seas had was that some items were not available.  We found this to be true, also.  I tried to order a caramel iced coffee on day 2 and they said they did not have caramel.  By day 6 they had it.  Various bars did not have pina colada mix at the beginning of the cruise.  Later it reappeared.  

I wonder then if they are resupplying during the port canaveral stop. I always thought they had to do it in their homeport.

1 hour ago, death_star said:

I wonder then if they are resupplying during the port canaveral stop. I always thought they had to do it in their homeport.

I do know that on at least one cruise we were on, they did some resupplying in St. Thomas because they were out of white zinfandel and a few people lost their minds over it lol.  They told everyone that they were picking up more there.  I don't think they have to do it in their homeport, but the ship has no control over suppliers.  That is done by corporate so there is consistency.  

Edited by BND

1 minute ago, BND said:

I don't think they have to do it in their homeport, but the ship has no control over suppliers.  That is done by corporate so there is consistency.  

Another curious thing is that there are no longer facial tissues in the bathroom. The slot where that belongs has been empty all week. So I don’t know whether they are no longer providing it or they just don’t have it right now.

actually a few people were losing their mind over not having piña colada‘s. Ha ha

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Another curious thing is that there are no longer facial tissues in the bathroom. The slot where that belongs has been empty all week. So I don’t know whether they are no longer providing it or they just don’t have it right now.

actually a few people were losing their mind over not having piña colada‘s. Ha ha

Our last few cruises, tissues have been in a drawer with the hair dryer, not in the bathroom.

14 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Not there for us. I used that hairdryer a number of times and had clothes in that drawer I would’ve noticed. 

I just asked the cabin attendant about the tissues. He said they stopped putting them in the bathroom because people use them and stopped up the toilet because they put too many in at one time. He said they are in the drawer now. I guess he just forgot to put it in for us it was no big deal.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I believe the emergency signal is 7 short and 1 long blast of the ship's horn

Yep...they went right through us when we boarded on the 17th - probably always will. 

14 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

But, I can tell you by the time I heard the 4th blast I would be heading to my muster station. 

LOL....I'd probably be there already after the 1st one!! 

3 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Another curious thing is that there are no longer facial tissues in the bathroom. The slot where that belongs has been empty all week.

We had them the entire week - in the usual slot. 

13 hours ago, DELTABLUE said:

went over the bridge tunnel about 9:15PMish. 

Sorry that we missed this on the way down during the previous cruise. Waited for it and kept checking out on the balcony, but then missed it anyway! 

14 hours ago, Mcdonaldbam said:

So are you saying that the muster procedure should be enhanced to require the passengers to demonstrate their ability to put on the life vest? 

Coming from my perspective, while such a thing would be an unwieldy and lengthy process (not to mention meet with huge opposition) , I'd say it surely wouldn't be a bad idea. Unless you've been in a true emergency situation - it's almost impossible to understand the stark reality of it. 

13 hours ago, BND said:

We started cruising when you had to bring your life jacket and put it on.  It's not that difficult to do.

13 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

He said they both returned last November on the ame plane from India to sailing via a special charter flight Royal Caribbean sent to India to get crew.  

They both said it has been hard to get additional crew.  Many former crew got land-based jobs and others married and started families.  

Wow...like so many aspects of the pandemic relative to employment. And those crew members work so hard! The whole MDR operation simply boggles the mind. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood

3 hours ago, BND said:

I do know that on at least one cruise we were on, they did some resupplying in St. Thomas because they were out of white zinfandel and a few people lost their minds over it lol.  They told everyone that they were picking up more there.  I don't think they have to do it in their homeport, but the ship has no control over suppliers.  That is done by corporate so there is consistency.  

I can just picture them going to one of those big liquor stores in Havensight and stocking up. 

• Haha 2

Just now, death_star said:

I can just picture them going to one of those big liquor stores in Havensight and stocking up. 

LOL...."I'll take 200 bottles of ___,  and another 100 bottles of ____,  plus all of whatever else you've got.."    

I''ve never been much of a drinker on cruises, but with the perk we had of 2 free drink vouchers a day ($13 or under), I started getting wine at dinner. Going through the list of available wines on the app was an eye opener as to the huge variety. Had no idea. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

At Cafe Latitudes.  My vanilla lattes and then the caramel macchiato were included in the D+ vouchers. Yum!

Interesting, my wife was charged when she got hers on our 5-17 March Enchantment cruise.  Maybe things recently changed. 

Edited by Mcdonaldbam