Umbrella in Cabin on Solstice to Alaska?

pisces223

We had 1 in our Aqua class room in 2019.   We brought our own that would fit in our back pack.  The one in the room was a longer size that was too large to fit.   In the end, we relied more heavily on our hooded rain coats....it was just easier to navigate.    

• Like 2

A quick comment from someone who actually lives in Alaska -- I find umbrellas not particularly helpful.    Several of the Alaska ports, such as Skagway, tend to be very windy.  There will be an umbrella in your stateroom.  But as mentioned by @dpcmh a hood on your water proof (not water resistant) outer layer is the best option.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

A quick comment from someone who actually lives in Alaska -- I find umbrellas not particularly helpful.    Several of the Alaska ports, such as Skagway, tend to be very windy.  There will be an umbrella in your stateroom.  But as mentioned by @dpcmh a hood on your water proof (not water resistant) outer layer is the best option.

Agree…we only had one damp day on our trip to Alaska. We could tell by looking out that the umbrella would be useless.

We have found  umbrellas useless in other parts of the world too. I clearly remember getting off the ship on one of the Caribbean Islands in blustery rain and taking off like Mary Poppins! Now we always take a couple of those throw away ponchos from the Dollar store when travelling to places too hot for a waterproof. 

Edited by chemmo

I agree that a large umbrella isn't very practical for Alaska. I tend to carry a small one, stowed in my pocket or backpack just in case but that helps for a slight drizzle only.

Aqua Class & Suites should have one in the room. I can't remember 100% if regular rooms did so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pisces223 said:

Thank you. I figured as much! I will bring a small umbrella to stick in the backpack. I have a hooded raincoat and some waterproof spray to be sure! Thanks everyone! Can't wait!

In Aqua Class, we had 2 in our room each time.   One small one and one big one.  I would suggest bringing along  hooded rain gear.   We had rain only in Juneau and it was RAIN.  Glad I had waterproof shoes.

Also, there are binocs in the room but are poor quality.  Bring your own to see wildlife.

7 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

...Aqua Class & Suites should have one in the room. I can't remember 100% if regular rooms did so.

I was assured on an earlier thread that yes- regular rooms did, just not the fancy Celebrity ones. Which, if you think about it, is kinda silly since the fancy ones are actually advertising Celebrity and are for others, not the person under the umbrella. Or does it really make people in the more expensive cabins feel special? 

54 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

I was assured on an earlier thread that yes- regular rooms did, just not the fancy Celebrity ones. Which, if you think about it, is kinda silly since the fancy ones are actually advertising Celebrity and are for others, not the person under the umbrella. Or does it really make people in the more expensive cabins feel special? 

Yes an umbrella makes a person paying for a suite feel really special.  It makes or breaks their cruise.

• Haha 2

I agree with those saying ditch the umbrella idea.  In Alaska you are much better off just bringing along some hooded rain gear.  Waterproof shoes can help, but I just bring along an extra pair of athletic shoes in case mine get wet.  Alot depends on what you plan to do - on some excursions waterproof shoes would be a great idea.  We have even had excursions where they provided a poncho but I wouldn't count on that.  Walking around town, definitely no umbrellas (and people walking around with umbrellas bumping everyone else in the head every few minutes doesn't go well either🙂).

Whatever you do, don't let any rain spoil your trip!  Alaska is an amazing place rain or shine.  The only real issue with rain is for excursions like helicopter rides and the like which are subject to cancellation if it rains.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Yes an umbrella makes a person paying for a suite feel really special.  It makes or breaks their cruise.

I really like walking into the MDR wearing the upscale robe from my room.  🙂image.thumb.jpeg.2b656c8e5193ce41c0128c6dbaff2e9a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Umbrellas are useless.   As others have posted take a rain jacket or poncho. I think many stores sell ponchos or give them away with advertising on them.  They are basically a garbage bag but does the job.   In Alaska it is wise to dress in layers.  It is cool in the morning and warms up during the day.   Take gloves and a warm hat.   They come in handy when viewing the glaciers that the ship sails to if you are on one of those cruises that cruses into the glacier bay.

When were there they had some decent souvenir Alaska sweat shirts that were rather cheap.  You may want to leave some room if your luggage to buy them.   They also come in handy to wear there.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1