Glacier Bay times

disneylover89

Your cruise itinerary should note the times in Glacier Bay. Depending when you actually start heading out of the bay, you will sail past South Marble Island that is a seabird colony as well as a Steller sea lion haul-out. As you travel towards and past Bartlett Cove you will be in a humpback feeding area for potential increased sightings. We were surrounded by humpbacks one year as we exited the bay and a few other times saw nothing. We're always on deck or in a forward viewing area while transiting this area.

• Like 2

Every cruise line has a different itinerary for their scenic cruising days. We have had Glacier Bay days that were anywhere from 6 to 9 hours and from earlier in the morning to mid afternoon to later in the day into the evening. You need to check your cruise itinerary- generally it provides a time frame for the day. 

• Like 1

Basically you spend the entire day in Glacier Bay.  That said, I would regard seeing as much of Glacier Bay over eating any time.  You can eat any time and anywhere but you don't want to miss Glacier Bay.  I have been known to get up from a dinner table in the middle of dinner if there is something good outside of the ship - but that's just how I prioritize things.

DON

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

We've been up there many times. You'll be fine with a 6pm dinner reservation. You'll be out of Glacier Bay around 3 or 3:30.

Depending on the trip. We're doing a b2b in May and the first leg has us there 6:30-3:30pm, the second leg is 9:15-7:30pm.

7 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

Depending on the trip. We're doing a b2b in May and the first leg has us there 6:30-3:30pm, the second leg is 9:15-7:30pm.

Every time we've been there we were out of there by 3 or 3:30

Check me on this one (or more items)

The number of cruise line ships visiting Glacier Bay daily is restricted by the

National Park Service who has Park Rangers on board to provide information

Early morning is not the best time due to possible foggy misty weather conditions

reducing visibility 

Mid-day is the best window of opportunity to see the glacier at its best 

23 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

Does anyone know what are the times that you cruise through Glacier Bay?  I made a 6:00pm dinner reservation for the night we cruise through Glacier Bay and I am now concerned me may miss something.

Per the schedule posted by the Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska, most ships exit Glacier Bay by 5pm:

CLAA 2022 schedule for Glacier Bay

You wouldn't miss any of the park sights by having dinner at 6. While you could postpone dinner until it's too dark to see, that'll be a late dinner - in June, sunset is 10pm!

• Like 3

On 3/27/2022 at 10:58 AM, coastcat said:

Per the schedule posted by the Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska, most ships exit Glacier Bay by 5pm:

CLAA 2022 schedule for Glacier Bay

You wouldn't miss any of the park sights by having dinner at 6. While you could postpone dinner until it's too dark to see, that'll be a late dinner - in June, sunset is 10pm!

Thanks for the link.  I feel better booking things later in the day knowing my ship is to be out of the area by around 3pm.