NCL trip insurance vs. Brand X

ChiefMateJRK

19 minutes ago, Babr said:

If the pre-existing conditions waiver is important to you, be mindful of the language in the requirements to purchase. As you mentioned before, some state that it must be the only booking for that itinerary. You can easily determine that by following the link in the certificate of insurance in the description of pre-existing coverage. You can get away without the waiver if your condition has been stable during the look-back, usually 60 days. Those terms are also spelled out in the same place.

Thanks.

Steve's blog states: "If you examine the travel insurance policies, you’ll see that they all include wording like “this is the first and only booking for this same destination and dates of travel” as a condition of waiving the pre-existing medical condition exclusion. The reason is that you cannot cancel your trip & re-book it to just reset your initial trip deposit date."

I checked at least three different certificates linked to his sight and could find no such language.

Travel Insurance Certificates of Coverage « Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)

Am I doing it wrong?

7 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks.

Steve's blog states: "If you examine the travel insurance policies, you’ll see that they all include wording like “this is the first and only booking for this same destination and dates of travel” as a condition of waiving the pre-existing medical condition exclusion. The reason is that you cannot cancel your trip & re-book it to just reset your initial trip deposit date."

I checked at least three different certificates linked to his sight and could find no such language.

Travel Insurance Certificates of Coverage « Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)

Am I doing it wrong?

Hmmmm- I don’t know about that blog statement. Did he list some policies after that or did he mean all policies sold in the US? I’ll see if I can find it to read the whole thing.

It has been my experience that the conditions for qualifying to get the waiver include buying within the defined window, being fit to travel on the day you buy it, and sometimes insuring all costs. If there are other stipulations, I would expect them to be stated in the same section.

I bought the IMG policy for an upcoming cruise because I wanted generous trip delay benefits in case of quarantine. In terms of pre-existing conditions waiver, the single requirement was that the payment be received in the time-sensitive period.

As a stand alone statement, I don’t think the blog is true. That is another question to add to your list. In the meantime, I’ll take a look because I’m curious.

53 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks for the link. Saved me lots of time.

OK. Now I see what he was talking about. If you cancel but transfer your deposit or credits to a new date of of the same cruise, the initial deposit on the first cruise sets the date for determining eligibility for the pre-existing conditions waiver because the cruise line still had your money all that time. Moving to a new date does not reset your initial deposit date in that instance.

In order to for it to be a new booking, you must cancel and get a refund of all deposits or money paid toward the first cruise. Then, if you change your mind in a couple of months and decide the cruise really was a good idea, then you start over with a new booking. It is the same as if you had never booked it.

Both scenarios assume you are buying the policy at initial deposit to get the waiver. Since you are looking at policies that allow the waiver at final payment, ask TIS or whomever you consult, if rebooking has any impact on that.

However, if you ever do see language indicating it must be the only booking of that cruise listed in the terms to qualify for the waiver, that is black-letter policy. Nothing changes it.

6 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Until I see an actual policy with that specific “one and only” language, I’m going to assume he just made it up. 

Notice that the date on the article you linked to is May 18, 2009. My guess is that the language may have been in policies then but has been modified over time. 

It is still worth asking about if you are in a position to transfer a deposit to another date. I think it holds true that you can’t reset the deposit date if the cruise line retains the funds before applying them to the new date.

Hi!  I'm just wondering what is considered an initial deposit date in the following scenario.  If I use a CruiseNext certificate or some other voucher when I make my reservation, is that the initial deposit date?  Or the final payment date, when I have to pay $$ for that particular cruise?  

26 minutes ago, tulch said:

Hi!  I'm just wondering what is considered an initial deposit date in the following scenario.  If I use a CruiseNext certificate or some other voucher when I make my reservation, is that the initial deposit date?  Or the final payment date, when I have to pay $$ for that particular cruise?  

It depends on the company you choose to buy insurance. Some, such as TravelGuard, consider the date you purchased the certificate as the initial deposit because that is the first time you paid money toward the cruise even if you did not yet have specific travel dates.Others, such as IMG, TravelSafe, Travelex Select, or Travel Insured, count the day the deposit was applied as the initial deposit. It matters only if you need time-sensitive coverage such as CFAR, pre-existing conditions waiver, or financial default though few people ever think of the financial default possibility.

If you are only concerned about a pre-existing conditions waiver, some policies, such as CSA or IMG LX, allow you to buy the policy at final payment. That way you do not risk losing any money as long as you have a refundable deposit. Insurance premiums usually are not refundable but can be transferred to another sailing.

It also matters if the voucher is being used to rebook the same cruise. See the previous posts. Reusing funds in the form of a voucher is not the same as using FCC. It can make a difference even if you are booking an entirely different one.  IMG, TravelSafe, and Travel Insured will consider the date of the first cruise that produced the voucher as initial deposit.

Edited by Babr

I have been looking at several other insurance brokerage sites.  One advertises that you can compare 100 travel policies from 22 different providers.  You can filter by such things a CFAR and pre-existing condition coverage.  It is also a MUCH cleaner website to navigate with very straightforward links to actual policy language.  As I mentioned above, some of the "rules" that people seem to be operating on simply don't appear in other places.  I believe that some have fallen into the trap of not being able to see the forest for the trees.

There's an old trick in the world of financial advisors.  The advisor wants the client to think that investing is complicated, and you can't do it without an expert's (paid) guidance.

53 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I have been looking at several other insurance brokerage sites.  One advertises that you can compare 100 travel policies from 22 different providers.  You can filter by such things a CFAR and pre-existing condition coverage.  It is also a MUCH cleaner website to navigate with very straightforward links to actual policy language.  As I mentioned above, some of the "rules" that people seem to be operating on simply don't appear in other places.  I believe that some have fallen into the trap of not being able to see the forest for the trees.

There's an old trick in the world of financial advisors.  The advisor wants the client to think that investing is complicated, and you can't do it without an expert's (paid) guidance.

There are plenty of ways to buy travel insurance including directly from the insurance company itself. Websites like insuremytrip or squaremouth provide an easy way for people to research and/or buy a policy. The search engine filters are useful for zeroing in on particular needs , and the search results provide a direct path to the certificate of insurance so you can examine the policy before buying.

Like any insurance, the devil is in the details so it is important to read and understand. One thing to consider is that the agents at the large online sellers may not be able to have a thorough knowledge of 100 or more policies or their claims history. Pay particular attention to definitions of terms used in the policy and effective dates.

It is also good to know that insurance is regulated by the states so the cost of the policy is the same wherever you buy it. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Babr said:

There are plenty of ways to buy travel insurance including directly from the insurance company itself. Websites like insuremytrip or squaremouth provide an easy way for people to research and/or buy a policy. The search engine filters are useful for zeroing in on particular needs , and the search results provide a direct path to the certificate of insurance so you can examine the policy before buying.

Like any insurance, the devil is in the details so it is important to read and understand. One thing to consider is that the agents at the large online sellers may not be able to have a thorough knowledge of 100 or more policies or their claims history. Pay particular attention to definitions of terms used in the policy and effective dates.

It is also good to know that insurance is regulated by the states so the cost of the policy is the same wherever you buy it. 

Yep. All good points. 

Back to my OP questions….  It appears that, unlike the third party policies, NCL’s policies do NOT offer an exclusion for pre-existing conditions.  That may be largely offset by their payable at final payment CFAR FCC feature.  Also, it looks like third party policies that don’t insure the trip costs can be had for cheaper costs or much better coverage than the NCL essentials.  Interesting stuff.  There may be scenarios where a cruiser’s needs would best be met by NCL’s standard policy coupled with a low cost medical/evac from a third party to provide a much higher $$$ level of coverage.  If I sail an AK cruise or NE cruise, evac costs are likely not a great concern. Caribbean or Mexican, perhaps a bit greater. Further destinations, much greater. 

6 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yep. All good points. 

Back to my OP questions….  It appears that, unlike the third party policies, NCL’s policies do NOT offer an exclusion for pre-existing conditions.  That may be largely offset by their payable at final payment CFAR FCC feature.  Also, it looks like third party policies that don’t insure the trip costs can be had for cheaper costs or much better coverage than the NCL essentials.  Interesting stuff.  There may be scenarios where a cruiser’s needs would best be met by NCL’s standard policy coupled with a low cost medical/evac from a third party to provide a much higher $$$ level of coverage.  If I sail an AK cruise or NE cruise, evac costs are likely not a great concern. Caribbean or Mexican, perhaps a bit greater. Further destinations, much greater. 

No doubt the CFAR feature allows an out for people with pre-existing conditions. I just don’t like the idea of losing 10% to 25% of the cost of the trip. If third-party isn’t significantly more expensive, I’d rather be able to cancel and get a 100% cash refund.

Combining NCL with a medical only can be a good strategy to supplement the medical side of coverage. Take into account how your own insurance would pay in any instance. If you are on Medicare, you know it does not pay out of country but Medicare supplements or Medi-gap policies will pay some.

Keep in mind that evacuation means hospital to hospital transfer if it is medically necessary. It must be approved by the doctors and the insurance company. Otherwise, you recover in place and are flown home commercially when you are able to travel. Sometimes that means you are accompanied by a nurse.  In any case, it does not mean you are flown directly home to a hospital of your choice. If you want more control of the decision, look at evacuation only policies like MedJet. It is still hospital to hospital, but you make the decision. The transfer does not have to be medically necessary or doctor approved.

• Like 1

I just asked the question about rebooking the same cruise over in the tripinsurancestore sub-forum:

Cancel and rebook voids pre-existing medical condition exclusion waiver? - Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com Jan/Feb '22 - Cruise Critic Community

It will be interesting to see what the feedback is.

Just read quickly through this thread, am I the first to mention the use of the protection offered from a premium credit card?

I just had a claim paid on an Avalon cruise that I had to cancel for health reasons. The only drawback might be the coverage limits. As an example, the limit for trip cancellation is $5000. per person. I find the $95. annual fee is well worth the free coverage. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I just asked the question about rebooking the same cruise over in the tripinsurancestore sub-forum:

Cancel and rebook voids pre-existing medical condition exclusion waiver? - Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com Jan/Feb '22 - Cruise Critic Community

It will be interesting to see what the feedback is.

I just answered there…. I did a quick google search of the phrase and had several hits. Not sure is this is what you are looking for? Near the bottom of the page 

https://www.travelinsured.com/TIDocuments/Product PDF Features and Benefits/CruiseBrothers(AgentCard)5.19.08.pdf

ps- i didn’t know there was a trip insurance store sub forum! 

6 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I just answered there…. I did a quick google search of the phrase and had several hits. Not sure is this is what you are looking for? Near the bottom of the page 

https://www.travelinsured.com/TIDocuments/Product PDF Features and Benefits/CruiseBrothers(AgentCard)5.19.08.pdf

ps- i didn’t know there was a trip insurance store sub forum! 

Thanks.  I don’t believe that is a real current policy. It may be that such language did used to be included, but not any more.  I’m still looking for an actual current policy direct from the insurance company. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 4:21 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks.

Am I doing it wrong?

Hi ChiefMateJKR,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! Lots of policies were re-worded and as you stated "I've checked a number of policies, and can't find anything like this".

I re-wrote this blog post and updated it to this:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/how-does-rebooking-my-trip-affect-my-initial-deposit-date/

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi ChiefMateJKR,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! Lots of policies were re-worded and as you stated "I've checked a number of policies, and can't find anything like this".

I re-wrote this blog post and updated it to this:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/how-does-rebooking-my-trip-affect-my-initial-deposit-date/

Steve Dasseos

This whole issue of "when the clock starts" for the pre-existing condition exemption waiver (and perhaps CFAR where appropriate) gives me a headache.  I've read the various interpretations and they leave me wanting.  Example:

On 4/1 I book a 10/1 cruise with a refundable deposit.

Final payment due 6/1.

Insurance payment due ~21 days later if I want the waiver.

Unless....

It is a rebooking of the same itinerary that I booked prior to 3/9, then the waiver is not available.

I paid taxes on frequent flyer tickets prior to 3/9, then the waiver is not available.

I bought frequent flyer points prior to 3/9, which I then use to buy tickets, which means that the waiver is not available

I bought an annual parking pass at my airport last December, which means that the waiver is not available

I used a dollar based FCC from a 2020 cancelled cruise towards my new cruise, which means that the waiver is not available

I drove my leased car to the airport, which I put a deposit on 24 months ago, which means that the waiver is not available

I used my luggage that I paid for 15 years ago.....

Well, you get the idea.  There is no end to it and even the experts really can't seem to fully define the terms.  I read one thing in the policies, but the definitions for things like "travel provider" are ill-defined.  "Initial payment" is poorly defined.  Couple that with the fact that insurance companies will sell just about anything to anybody, but they have experts in NOT paying.  Yes, we hear about the typical cases that are clearly covered, but when you get into pre-existing medical conditions, then all bets are off.  Even Washington finally figured out that if you give insurance companies that "out," they will abuse the heck out of it.

Sure, many are healthy and have little worry about some chronic condition being interpreted as contributing to a cancelled cruise or treatment during a cruise.  Many others don't.  Wouldn't it be nice if one day we quit hearing the term "pre-existing condition" in all insurance realms?  Until then, I think I may just settle for NCL's "due only at final payment," guaranteed 75% FCC regardless of "pre-existing" factors of any kind. 😎

16 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Until then, I think I may just settle for NCL's "due only at final payment," guaranteed 75% FCC regardless of "pre-existing" factors of any kind. 😎

Sounds like you have done your homework which is most important when choosing insurance. Thankfully, I don't have any pre-existing conditions to worry about, but it sounds like that is a big can of worms. This is why I prefer to self-insure, but acknowledge that isn't always the best course for everyone in every situation.

Here's hoping you never need this insurance anyway 🙂

29 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

This whole issue of "when the clock starts" for the pre-existing condition exemption waiver (and perhaps CFAR where appropriate) gives me a headache.  I've read the various interpretations and they leave me wanting.  Example:

On 4/1 I book a 10/1 cruise with a refundable deposit.

Final payment due 6/1.

Insurance payment due ~21 days later if I want the waiver.

Unless....

It is a rebooking of the same itinerary that I booked prior to 3/9, then the waiver is not available.

I paid taxes on frequent flyer tickets prior to 3/9, then the waiver is not available.

I bought frequent flyer points prior to 3/9, which I then use to buy tickets, which means that the waiver is not available

I bought an annual parking pass at my airport last December, which means that the waiver is not available

I used a dollar based FCC from a 2020 cancelled cruise towards my new cruise, which means that the waiver is not available

I drove my leased car to the airport, which I put a deposit on 24 months ago, which means that the waiver is not available

I used my luggage that I paid for 15 years ago.....

Well, you get the idea.  There is no end to it and even the experts really can't seem to fully define the terms.  I read one thing in the policies, but the definitions for things like "travel provider" are ill-defined.  "Initial payment" is poorly defined.  Couple that with the fact that insurance companies will sell just about anything to anybody, but they have experts in NOT paying.  Yes, we hear about the typical cases that are clearly covered, but when you get into pre-existing medical conditions, then all bets are off.  Even Washington finally figured out that if you give insurance companies that "out," they will abuse the heck out of it.

Sure, many are healthy and have little worry about some chronic condition being interpreted as contributing to a cancelled cruise or treatment during a cruise.  Many others don't.  Wouldn't it be nice if one day we quit hearing the term "pre-existing condition" in all insurance realms?  Until then, I think I may just settle for NCL's "due only at final payment," guaranteed 75% FCC regardless of "pre-existing" factors of any kind. 😎

Hi ChiefMateJRK,

> This whole issue of "when the clock starts" for the pre-existing condition exemption waiver (and perhaps CFAR where appropriate) gives me a headache.  I've read the various interpretations and they leave me wanting.

We tell people this: "Your Initial Trip Deposit Date is the earliest date that a payment in cash of any kind was paid towards your travel arrangements."

There are a few plans (I offer 4 of them) that give the waiver of the pre-existing condition exclusion at Final Payment.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo

13 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

We tell people this: "Your Initial Trip Deposit Date is the earliest date that a payment in cash of any kind was paid towards your travel arrangements."

Steve Dasseos

No offense Steve, but that is about as clear as mud.  Did you see my examples?  Sure, there was some hyperbole mixed in, but it was to prove a point.  What they heck constitutes "travel arrangements?"  I've seen some interpret that use of any kind of credits/points/etc. that may have been paid for at least partially in cash in the past is considered part of that initial payment.  I've also seen your posts suggesting that if I had previously booked the same itinerary on the same dates, but then cancelled, I'm still going to lose pre-existing condition coverage.  I book SWA flights for any planned cruise as soon as they open up the schedules.  I use points plus pay $11.20 in taxes.  According to what some have posted (including you?), that constitutes initial payment.  SWA is opening up their fall schedule tomorrow.  So, if I'm tentatively planning a November cruise, does that mean I book a flight (fully refundable) I have 21 days to buy your insurance or I won't be covered for my various medical conditions that could contribute to trip complications?  I may not even book a cruise until summer (or later).  Like I said, it gives me a headache.  I plan far in advance (options), but I don't nail down final plans until I have to.  It is hard to over-value flexibility, especially in today's Covid/labor shortage/strained supply chain world.  At lease with NCL's crappy insurance, I know exactly what I'm getting and I don't need to fork out any non-refundable money until I have to do the same for the cruise.  I do appreciate your response.  😎

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

No offense Steve, but that is about as clear as mud.  Did you see my examples?  Sure, there was some hyperbole mixed in, but it was to prove a point.  What they heck constitutes "travel arrangements?"  I've seen some interpret that use of any kind of credits/points/etc. that may have been paid for at least partially in cash in the past is considered part of that initial payment.  I've also seen your posts suggesting that if I had previously booked the same itinerary on the same dates, but then cancelled, I'm still going to lose pre-existing condition coverage.  I book SWA flights for any planned cruise as soon as they open up the schedules.  I use points plus pay $11.20 in taxes.  According to what some have posted (including you?), that constitutes initial payment.  SWA is opening up their fall schedule tomorrow.  So, if I'm tentatively planning a November cruise, does that mean I book a flight (fully refundable) I have 21 days to buy your insurance or I won't be covered for my various medical conditions that could contribute to trip complications?  I may not even book a cruise until summer (or later).  Like I said, it gives me a headache.  I plan far in advance (options), but I don't nail down final plans until I have to.  It is hard to over-value flexibility, especially in today's Covid/labor shortage/strained supply chain world.  At lease with NCL's crappy insurance, I know exactly what I'm getting and I don't need to fork out any non-refundable money until I have to do the same for the cruise.  I do appreciate your response.  😎

Hi ChiefMateJRK,

No offense taken. I am very appreciative that you are willing to get to the bottom of this and are asking direct questions.

I book SWA flights for any planned cruise as soon as they open up the schedules. I use points plus pay $11.20 in taxes.  According to what some have posted (including you?), that constitutes initial payment.

Whether a payment is refundable or not, it's the date any cash money is paid (including placing a charge on a credit card) that causes that date to be the initial trip deposit date. In your example, the $11.20 in taxes are the cash payment.

> I've seen some interpret that use of any kind of credits/points/etc. that may have been paid for at least partially in cash in the past is considered part of that initial payment.

The phrase "at least partially in cash" is the important part of your statement. It's not up to anyone's  interpretation.

> So, if I'm tentatively planning a November cruise, does that mean I book a flight (fully refundable) I have 21 days to buy your insurance or I won't be covered for my various medical conditions that could contribute to trip complications?

Depending on the plan, you have 14 - 21 days or by Final Payment to buy in order to have the Waiver of the Pre-Existing Medical Condition Exclusion.

However, it's possible that you don't have a Pre-Existing Medical Condition as defined by a trip cancellation policy. In addition, there are some plans that don't obligate you to insure your trip’s full prepaid non-refundable trip cost.

And, with all my plans, you may insure the money as you pay it instead of insuring everything up front.

I hope this helps you.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo

32 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

However, it's possible that you don't have a Pre-Existing Medical Condition as defined by a trip cancellation policy.

I wish that were true for everybody.  Unfortunately.....

There is a lot of gray in these things.  Our medical condition is "life," which eventually leads to death.  How we get there is details and, like the saying goes, "the devil is in the details."  There are a number of medical conditions that are "when, not if" with respect to things like occurrences or recurrences.  When?  Only God knows.  It is scenarios like this that make bullet proof pre-existing condition exclusion waivers highly desirable.  The concern is that it doesn't look like anybody can fully nail down the "gotchas" until the claims adjuster issues his/her ruling.

Of course, as I mentioned, a FCC 75% CFAR due only at final payment may serve as a safer/more comfortable option for some situations.

21 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I wish that were true for everybody.  Unfortunately.....

There is a lot of gray in these things.  Our medical condition is "life," which eventually leads to death.  How we get there is details and, like the saying goes, "the devil is in the details."  There are a number of medical conditions that are "when, not if" with respect to things like occurrences or recurrences.  When?  Only God knows.  It is scenarios like this that make bullet proof pre-existing condition exclusion waivers highly desirable.  The concern is that it doesn't look like anybody can fully nail down the "gotchas" until the claims adjuster issues his/her ruling.

Of course, as I mentioned, a FCC 75% CFAR due only at final payment may serve as a safer/more comfortable option for some situations.

Hi ChiefMateJRK,

> There is a lot of gray in these things.

Trip cancellation travel insurance plans define pre-existing conditions differently than, for example, health, disability or life insurance plans.

A typical Pre-Existing Medical Condition definition (varies per policy) is any medical condition, which manifested itself, became acute or exhibited symptoms which would have caused one to seek diagnosis, care or treatment; or which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received (this includes being referred to a medical professional for any reason); or required taking prescribed drugs or medicine, unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription; during the 60 to 365 day Lookback Period prior to the day you buy a travel insurance policy. The condition doesn’t have to be diagnosed.

In my opinion there is not any gray in this definition. The only variable is the length of the Lookback Period.

And, in my opinion, many people make Pre-Existing Medical Conditions more complicated because they are not willing to accept the wording exactly as it is written. The wording is not open to interpretation. I agree that it's complicated. I have over 520 pages on my website and Blog plus thousands of posts on forums across the internet because it's complicated.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo