Passport expires five months after end of cruise, is this a problem?

Mark_K

1 minute ago, blackshirt said:

Of course the passport is needed to re-enter the US but why would it be an issue if the passport expires in 5 months? It wouldn’t be. Why do you think it would be?

I think what they are suggesting is that as it is strongly recommended (though not required) that we have at least 6 months remaining on our passports before expiration date, that it may just be prudent to not take any chances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I think what they are suggesting is that as it is strongly recommended (though not required) that we have at least 6 months remaining on our passports before expiration date, that it may just be prudent to not take any chances.

Well, that’s the subject of the entire thread and no, I don’t think they were just suggesting it would be prudent. Actually, I think they misunderstood an earlier post and thought my comment was about cruising with no passport. Sure, it would be prudent to follow the recommendation but unless Celebrity makes it an issue, my belief is it won’t be, even if they have to leave the cruise and fly home from one of those countries that does require 6 months. Why do I say that? Because they would already be in that country. The 6 month requirement is for entry into the country, which would not be an issue because they were already in country and trying to leave.

My take on the whole post is, the OP may not want to renew the passport to conform to the 'recommended' six (6) months before expiration... fine.

There are a few of us who have been able to sail without the recommendation and that was great.

OP, roll the dice and go for it and if a challenge arises and X will not help out, whose fault will it be???

bon voyage

• Like 3

People are confusing two different issues. The 6-month requirement is for entry into a foreign country, not return to the United States. If Guatemala in this case (the only country on itinerary that has a 6-month requirement) enforces that requirement on cruise ship passengers, then the OP needs 6 months remaining on their passports. If the Celebrity check-in is saying "required", I would assume that's why. If that requirement shows up when you arrive at the ship and you don't meet it, you're missing the ship. Celebrity "may" flag your online check in record, but that's historically not been consistent.

As a US citizen, you only need a passport valid on arrival (actually even that isn't true until this summer, but that's complicated). The US State Department generally recommends 6-months for international travel. The 6-month requirement (when it exists) is on the part of the foreign government.

I did a quick look for passport requirements to Guatemala, but whatever info is out there is buried other than air arrivals. It's not unusual to have different requirements for cruise ship passengers than air travelers, but I can't find that information for Guatemala. I don't know if the OP can get a direct answer from Celebrity. The tendency is to place the burden on the traveler to know these things.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A word of caution about Passport Expedite Services. I have renewed two family passports last October and after so many bad reviews about these third party companies, I just went with the US Dept of State  Expedite option and got the new passports in about 6-8 weeks. I suggest you check with the US State Department on present forecasted delays. Last year it was 12 weeks, though as I said, expidite option got them back in half that time.

Also remember, you have to surrender your present passport to the state department during the application process, which means for a couple of months you are without a passport. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, markeb said:

People are confusing two different issues. The 6-month requirement is for entry into a foreign country, not return to the United States. If Guatemala in this case (the only country on itinerary that has a 6-month requirement) enforces that requirement on cruise ship passengers, then the OP needs 6 months remaining on their passports. If the Celebrity check-in is saying "required", I would assume that's why. If that requirement shows up when you arrive at the ship and you don't meet it, you're missing the ship. Celebrity "may" flag your online check in record, but that's historically not been consistent.

Spot on. As I noted earlier, it’s only an issue if Celebrity makes it an issue and as you note, if it is an issue, Celebrity will deny boarding. If Celebrity allows the OP to board, there will be no issue.

13 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I did exactly that cruise with a passport with a bit less than 6 months expiration.  Can't remember if it was 4 or 5 months left on it.  Celebrity assured me it would not be a problem and it was not.  It is recommended but not required that you have 6 months left on your passport.

The assurance you got from Celebrity is correct for cruises in North America. A valid passpot will be fine.  For other world regions there are varying requirements, 3month, 6 months etc. 

The cruise line recomending 6 months is a good idea because many of us are procrastinators or want to get every last drop out of our passport then finding out their passport is expiring in 3  weeks...

i cruised with a passport that had five weeks left no problem. Because of the timing, I had so many cruises stacked before and after I needed that timing for one of the sailings. . 

Edited by Charles4515

50 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

My take on the whole post is, the OP may not want to renew the passport to conform to the 'recommended' six (6) months before expiration... fine.

There are a few of us who have been able to sail without the recommendation and that was great.

OP, roll the dice and go for it and if a challenge arises and X will not help out, whose fault will it be???

bon voyage

Some of the things that people choose to roll the dice on really baffle me.  For a relatively very small chunk of change, one can ensure they remove any potential obstacles, kind of like having homeowners or auto insurance.  To each their own of course, but those that ride the line come back with a whine that would make Napa jealous.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Some of the things that people choose to roll the dice on really baffle me.  For a relatively very small chunk of change, one can ensure they remove any potential obstacles, kind of like having homeowners or auto insurance.  To each their own of course, but those that ride the line come back with a whine that would make Napa jealous.

LOL, my current favourites are Paso Robles blends....

Cheers and bon voyage

1 hour ago, blackshirt said:

Of course the passport is needed to re-enter the US but why would it be an issue if the passport expires in 5 months? It wouldn’t be. Why do you think it would be?

It would not be.

I read the  post you quoted that it’s good to have a passport vs. a birth certificate.

Edited by CILCIANRQTS

21 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

If you want good wine, go to Sonoma, if you want car parts, go to Napa……my sister lives in Sonoma County, Santa Rosa, and sent me a t-shirt with that on it!

den

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

It is not rolling the dice if you have a valid passport and are sailing on a cruise that leaves out of the US and returns to the US in the western hemisphere. For those  you don't need the six months. All that is needed is a valid passport and on most closed loop cruises a birth certificate. It baffles me that many on the boards make up requirements that don't exist because they have OCD. By all means those who have OCD should make sure to have the six months anyway for their mental health. All that said people should not wait for the last minute to renew. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It is not rolling the dice if you have a valid passport and are sailing on a cruise that leaves out of the US and returns to the US in the western hemisphere. For those  you don't need the six months. All that is needed is a valid passport and on most closed loop cruises a birth certificate. It baffles me that many on the boards make up requirements that don't exist because they have OCD. By all means those who have OCD should make sure to have the six months anyway for their mental health. All that said people should not wait for the last minute to renew. 

WTH does OCD have to do with this?!

22 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The people who said don't roll the dice are not making up rules--they are pointing out how  to deal with any uncertainties to avoid problems when advice given by X is unclear or inconsistent.

The point is, if X says 6 mos "required" but is wrong, but you do have >6 mos, you are ok. If X is right and you don't have >6 mos, you are not ok. If X says "recommended", you may or may not be ok if you disregard it in case a country does require it.

The Cruise Contract puts the burden of finding all the rqmts of a country on the cruiser, disavowing X's obligation to be correct. That alone seems a good reason to be better safe than sorry if there is any question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

The people who said don't roll the dice are not making up rules--they are pointing out how  to deal with any uncertainties to avoid problems when advice given by X is unclear or inconsistent.

The point is, if X says 6 mos "required" but is wrong, but you do have >6 mos, you are ok. If X is right and you don't have >6 mos, you are not ok. If X says "recommended", you may or may not be ok if you disregard it in case a country does require it.

The Cruise Contract puts the burden of finding all the rqmts of a country on the cruiser, disavowing X's obligation to be correct. That alone seems a good reason to be better safe than sorry if there is any question.

Celebrity does not say a passport with 6 months is required for domestic sailings.  There is no uncertainty. What Celebrity says is not unclear. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

Update, Update, Update:

As per 'a few Western Hemisphere' countries, the only requirements for Passports is that they be valid at time of entry.

There are no requirements for length of validity.

I would recommend that each passenger check, in on each country to be visited, website(s) to determine if there is in fact a time frame of expiration validity for passport before boarding as otherwise X can deny you boarding with No Refund for not having the correct travel documents.

Please remember that we may encounter a check-in agent who does not or will not know the latest policies on passports and entry into ports where your sailing will go. Be forewarned.

Good luck and bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Celebrity does not say a passport with 6 months is required for domestic sailings.  There is no uncertainty. What Celebrity says is not unclear. 

That's funny. I thought this thread started with the following post by the OP, but since you are so adamant I might have imagined this:

On 3/27/2022 at 2:07 PM, Mark_K said:

When filling out the check in, it said strongly recommends six months after, but didn’t say required.  Then I noticed under travel documents it said must be valid for six months after.

7 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

That's funny. I thought this thread started with the following post by the OP, but since you are so adamant I might have imagined this:

What they posted is wrong.  You can verify that on the Celebrity website. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/travel-documents

Edited by Charles4515

@Charles4515 And so what is the harm of suggesting ways of dealing with uncertainty? Not everybody will have access to your definitive decision on the matter. Other people may also misread the X docs.

I have never understood why people get bent out of shape at advice designed to relieve someone's anxiety. Advice to fly in a day or 2 in advance gets met with scoffing about wasting money. Advice to take some nice clothes gets discounted by those who seem to think unenforced guidelines need not be respected. Even advice to print out anything gets disparaged by smart phone adherents.

Let worried people find ways of avoiding stress. No skin off your nose!

2 hours ago, mayleeman said:

@Charles4515 And so what is the harm of suggesting ways of dealing with uncertainty? Not everybody will have access to your definitive decision on the matter. Other people may also misread the X docs.

I have never understood why people get bent out of shape at advice designed to relieve someone's anxiety. Advice to fly in a day or 2 in advance gets met with scoffing about wasting money. Advice to take some nice clothes gets discounted by those who seem to think unenforced guidelines need not be respected. Even advice to print out anything gets disparaged by smart phone adherents.

Let worried people find ways of avoiding stress. No skin off your nose!

If there were plenty of time before the sailing  I would suggest they renew their passport. I said in one of my posts people should not wait to the last minute. Since OP's sailing is in three weeks  I think there is harm in taking some of the advice. The OP would have to take take special efforts to renew the passport before the cruise. The advice being given for supposed peace of mind would cause stress.

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

The OP would have to take take special efforts to renew the passport before the cruise. The advice being given for supposed peace of mind would cause stress.

I agree. With 3 weeks to go, the risk of not getting the passport back in time if sent off for renewal to me would be much greater than sailing with the current passport and it certainly would cause me stress worrying about it.

6 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Update, Update, Update:

As per 'a few Western Hemisphere' countries, the only requirements for Passports is that they be valid at time of entry.

There are no requirements for length of validity.

I would recommend that each passenger check, in on each country to be visited, website(s) to determine if there is in fact a time frame of expiration validity for passport before boarding as otherwise X can deny you boarding with No Refund for not having the correct travel documents.

Please remember that we may encounter a check-in agent who does not or will not know the latest policies on passports and entry into ports where your sailing will go. Be forewarned.

Good luck and bon voyage

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2022 at 4:22 PM, blackshirt said:

Why? Who would make it an issue? Do you think the country you were in wouldn’t let you leave? Certainly its not an issue once you arrive back in the US.

The theory of the case as to why it is a problem is that if your ship, for example, calls at a port in Guatemala where 6 months left on your passport is required, it is not a problem because you do not go through passport control or customs there for a port call. However, if you have a problem and need to fly home from a Guatamala airport you would have to officially enter the country to get to the airport and authorities possibly would not permit it. I agree it is a far fetched possibility, but just thought I would explain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1