Aurora June cruises cancelled

jeanlyon

7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Just read on social media that 2 cruises on Aurora in June have been cancelled as apparently needing dry dock.  Now why do I think that is a pre-cursor to selling her?

Just being reading about this. One poor lady paid for her cruise this morning then an hour later got an email to say it was cancelled. 
I suspect issues relating to her being laid up for two years have arisen….. at least I hope that is the case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I suspect issues relating to her being laid up for two years have arisen….. at least I hope that is the case.

The cruise lines are all in serious debt.

In the year ending 30 November 2020 Carnival made a loss of $8,865,000,000... compared to a profit of only $3.3 billion in the previous year. Other companies are in a very similar situation. How are cruise line going to finance and repay the debt? Carnival will provide a "cruise-experience" with a view of "maximising cash generation". (Carnival's words not mine) With "dynamic" pricing... Carnival and other lines will charge whatever they think that they can. In the end cruisers will pay the billions that covid has cost the cruise lines.

In their last published report; Carnival's idea was that they would end up with reduced capacity in a smaller fleet of larger more "efficient" ships. 

I suppose that we'll have to wait and see.

In Mollag's quarantine thread she mentioned overhearing back at the beginning of the current voyage that the ship had a mechanical problem. There was mention if I recall that the third cruise might be cancelled so would guess these June cancellations are for this?

Difficult to know how much and how long ago P&O knew about this but such circumstances don't make it easy to trust them. Think I did right deciding not to book the Aurora cruise I was thinking about for 2024...

13 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Think I did right deciding not to book the Aurora cruise I was thinking about for 2024...

We thought about doing that one as a replacement for this cancelled one but, like you, decided against!

There are delays at the dry dock shipyard due to Covid, hence cancelling cruises. Guess it won't stop the conspiracy theorists though. I have booked Aurora for Jan 2024 so fingers crossed she will still be here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

There are delays at the dry dock shipyard due to Covid, hence cancelling cruises. Guess it won't stop the conspiracy theorists though. I have booked Aurora for Jan 2024 so fingers crossed she will still be here.

I imagine you're cruise will be safe Sharon, Moley said that Aurora and Arcadia were very likely to remain unless someone came in with a very good offer. In the current situation I think it will be many years before any cruise line will be willing to risk a large outlay on a 22 year old small to medium cruise ship.

• Like 2

Due to Covid in the shipyard in January, certain elements of Aurora’s dry dock could not take place.

As you may know, there is a legal requirement for these checks to take place every five years.

I understand that June is the only dry docking opportunity before this time period is up and the exact date has only just been confirmed. If the rumours are true, the date was signed off this morning and comms put straight out the passengers.

Safety above all else.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, molecrochip said:

Due to Covid in the shipyard in January, certain elements of Aurora’s dry dock could not take place.

As you may know, there is a legal requirement for these checks to take place every five years.

I understand that June is the only dry docking opportunity before this time period is up and the exact date has only just been confirmed. If the rumours are true, the date was signed off this morning and comms put straight out the passengers.

Safety above all else.

But don’t let the facts spoil another conspiracy theory. 🤔

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

Having had one cruise on Adonia and another on Oriana cancelled at the last minute because they sold them, it's no theory.

But you need a willing buyer with deep pockets otherwise, and especially with their loyal following, I imagine both Aurora and Arcadia will provide a better return for P&O if they keep sailing.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Having had one cruise on Adonia and another on Oriana cancelled at the last minute because they sold them, it's no theory.

Same here and both were taken out of service for a dry docking aka survey for new owners shortly before they went. One of our fellow guests actually managed to have a meeting with the elusive CSM on here a couple of days ago and he told them of the record Aurora was nowhere near ready to sail on this cruise and on his opinion it shouldn’t have taken place but of course he’ll deny he ever said that

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I imagine you're cruise will be safe Sharon, Moley said that Aurora and Arcadia were very likely to remain unless someone came in with a very good offer. In the current situation I think it will be many years before any cruise line will be willing to risk a large outlay on a 22 year old small to medium cruise ship.

True but.... Carnival (according to their own reports) are looking to cut the fleet and reduce overall capacity. It's no longer a case of replacing ships... it's a case of removing them.

3 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

True but.... Carnival (according to their own reports) are looking to cut the fleet and reduce overall capacity. It's no longer a case of replacing ships... it's a case of removing them.

Yes I read that too.  With another monster due as well, I can easily see Aurora and Arcadia going.  Chop them out as a loss to the new Cruise Maritime!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Just being reading about this. One poor lady paid for her cruise this morning then an hour later got an email to say it was cancelled. 

They always manage to make these announcements of cancellations after people have paid their full balances.  Same with my cancelled May cruise on Queen Victoria, they didn't announce the cancellations until after everyone had coughed up the money. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

They always manage to make these announcements of cancellations after people have paid their full balances.  Same with my cancelled May cruise on Queen Victoria, they didn't announce the cancellations until after everyone had coughed up the money. 

They must have waited just to get your money

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

But don’t let the facts spoil another conspiracy theory. 🤔

Perhaps it's a megamonster conspiracy, or perhaps one of the little old tiddlers needs tarting up a bit🤣

• Like 1