Civitavecchia to FCO

LarryF

Hi,

We'll be docking in Civitavecchia on Celebrity Beyond October 3.  There are three flights I'm looking at to return to the U.S.:  10am, 11:05am or 12.:50pm.  I'm guessing there wouldn't be enough time to get the 10am flight, but what about the 11:05 or 12:50 flights?  Has anyone dealt with this?

Thanks,
Larry

Check the Italy board for options and opinions. Probably one of the most frequently discussed topics. Flights by Celebrity will book allow booking anything after 10:50am if believe. IMO this is not very realistic. 11am could be a rush since you need to allow for an hour door to door from port to airport. It depends on what your comfort level is and how quickly you can get yourself around. 

• Like 1

We have used Rome Cabs for  those trips.  Always right there waiting and ready.  Look on the roll call for your cruise and find others with  similar departure times and make your own group.  It works out to be cheaper that things like Celebrity's shuttle most of the time.  FCO is a big, slow airport. Lots of lines, security checks, etc so book the later flight and don't stress.  I would much rather sit around an airport lounge and read a book, edit pictures and relax than I would sit and worry about trying to make a flight on a tight window.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, LarryF said:

Hi,

We'll be docking in Civitavecchia on Celebrity Beyond October 3.  There are three flights I'm looking at to return to the U.S.:  10am, 11:05am or 12.:50pm.  I'm guessing there wouldn't be enough time to get the 10am flight, but what about the 11:05 or 12:50 flights?  Has anyone dealt with this?

Thanks,
Larry

We always take the latest flight, just not worth chancing it in a big city, Rome or anywhere else.  Sitting around in an airport does not bother us, we can eat, drink, chill and be assured we make our flight.  FCO is HUGE

• Like 2

For any reasonably close connection, I would recommend Bob's Limo, which I arranged for a group of 6 for one cruise, and I am pretty sure we used them on a different cruise where another Cruise Critic member had set up the group.  They are very reliable and quite reasonable for a group of 4 or 6 people.  You book them in advance, and then you find your limo when you collect your luggage.

Tom & Judy

Having done this trek before I would choose the 12:50pm

The line ups at FCO are long and not the speediest I have seen.

We had a private car transfer and got to FCO by 930am for a 2pm flight and we had very little time to spare before our flight boarded.

30 minutes ago, jcpelly said:

I'd choose the 12:50 and don't take the train from port to airport unless you really know how to navigate it. If there isn't a rush then the train is fine.

The problem with the train is it isn't a direct ride to the airport. You have to go from the port to Rome Central Station, change platforms and trains, and then proceed to the airport. It will take more than twice the time and it's extremely inconvenient.  It makes no logical sense to take the train.

• Like 2

We are on the Beyond Cruise too. Our flight departs 12.55 terminal 5 FCO.  It is a quiet Roll Call ( last time I looked). We are a group of four flying to Glasgow and London. Looking at Bobs Limousines there is a good discount for six rather than four.  An option! 

If interested put it up on the Roll Call. I am in France skiing at present so not arranging anything until home. I mean to start arranging our private trips soon too.

Thanks everyone.  We've been to Rome and seen most of the sites, but we've decided to stay in Rome for a couple of days after the cruise.  That will make our journey home a little less hectic.  We've been to all the main tourist places in Rome.  Any suggestions on less touristy places or a day trip somewhere?

Thanks,

Larry

Have you been to Castel Sant'Angelo?  The Ara Pacis?  The Baths of Caracalla?  All three are well worth a visit.

The Galleria Borghese is worth a visit for the sculptures alone.   Galleria Doria Pamphiilj is interesting for its history as well as the collection.  The Museum of Rome in Palazzo Braschi (just south of Piazza Navona) offers an intimate view of the city's history.

How about the Basilica of San Clemente?  Here you can go down two levels below the existing church to see how new structures were built on top of old ones.

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

Have you been to Castel Sant'Angelo?  The Ara Pacis?  The Baths of Caracalla?  All three are well worth a visit.

The Galleria Borghese is worth a visit for the sculptures alone.   Galleria Doria Pamphiilj is interesting for its history as well as the collection.  The Museum of Rome in Palazzo Braschi (just south of Piazza Navona) offers an intimate view of the city's history.

How about the Basilica of San Clemente?  Here you can go down two levels below the existing church to see how new structures were built on top of old ones.

Thanks for the suggestions. We've been to the Borghese which was awesome, but none of the others. 

13 hours ago, LarryF said:

Hi,

Thanks,
Larry

You can call Flights By Celebrity, tell them the cruise you’re booked on, and ask which is the earliest flight time they’ll book from FCO. You can ask this simple question even if you’re booking air on your own as we are.

We are arriving Civitavecchia on Edge and the earliest flight Celebrity will book people on is 10:50am. So I simply used that as a guide to not book anything earlier. 

14 hours ago, LarryF said:

We've been to Rome and seen most of the sites

There are more sites in Rome than you could see in a month. Or two!  Truly, most of the sites listed below would be on the "A" list in any other city besides Rome, which has so many superstars.

Some ideas:

• the Appian Way (Appia Antica) and catacombs/monuments along it
  • the Museum of the Imperial Forums (Musei dei Fori Imperiali) -- learn more about Rome's Forums, why and how they were built and (the best part) get to visit Trajan's Market.
  • the Roman houses excavated underneath the Palazzo Valentini (reservations needed, buy them here: LE DOMUS ROMANE DI PALAZZO VALENTINI
  • The Capitoline Museum
  • The National Museum near Termini (Palazzo Massimo alle Terme)
  • The church Michelangelo constructed out of massive Roman baths, also near Termini (Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri - Rome)
  • The Roman temples in the Forum Boarium and the Mouth of Truth

I could go on and on. Wandering in Trastevere and visiting the several magnificent churches there, the Jewish Ghetto, the Domus Aurea (Nero's Golden Palace), etc.

Also -- newly opened last year after MANY years of neglect and then restoration is the tomb of Augustus near the Ara Pacis.  Definitely on my schedule for my next visit....