After you have had a balcony have you ever gone back to an outside?

TanyaTravels

I think I may have posted here a time or two? We just got back from a 10 day on Star Princess. Booked an obstructed ocean view gty and got E-608. This is the view, the only issue was the tender days got a little noisy when deploying and returning the tenders. I wouldn't hesitate getting this cabin again. We have sailed with many balcony, ocean views and an inside once. Whatever is going to give us the best value for that particular cruise is what we'll book.

Chuck

2750641880054406160S425x425Q85.jpg

We're just back from our first sailing with a balcony, and the answer to this question is a resounding "Yes!" The balcony was a BA on Caribe, and it was nice but we didn't use it much. That's partly because we don't sit around much on a cruise and partly because there were chain smokers just forward from us. Every time I tried to hang out on the balcony, they were out on theirs smoking up a storm. I'd book a balcony again if the deal was good enough, but I for sure don't think it's a necessity. :)

All cruises with exception of Med cruise (price too good to pass up) have been balcony. First cruise with DH stayed up all night watching a meteor shower from balcony.

The one promenade cabin on med cruise was comfortable but never knew what weather was like.

Love getting up early and watching sunrise with a cup of coffee and port arrivals and departures.

I'll admit I am spoiled as first cruise was a suite. Unless a really good deal, will always book a balcony.

Our first balcony cabin was booked on the Serenade of the Seas(we usually booked inside cabins to save money) . This cruise was a 7 night repositioning cruise from San Diego ,our home port to Vancouver with stops at San Francisco ,Astoria Oregon,Victoia ,Nianimo & Vancouver. We had a handicap balcony cabin (I was using a electric scooter -needed hip replacements) & it was huge .now the best part the cost with all taxes included was $570 each,a steal;). My DW was so impressed that now she insists we have balconies ,where we can afford them:D.

Moral of the story here is if you are inclined to keep costs of cruising at a minimum ,then keep with inside cabins. Otherwise like me ,I spoiled my DW & she loves those balconies & truthfully ,so do I :D.

We have taken 35 cruises & have 4 new ones booked between Dec 1,2008 & Nov 30,2009 .All balcony & one stern balcony:D:D

Cliff

Apart from cost, all the rest are advantages. Only one that you may not have been told. Unlike other cabs you do not have to rely on an ac system that may circulate the flue etc germs from other cabins. You can give the cab a good airing now and then! [This time last week I was watching whales and Dolphins in the Bof Biscay from my balc. -- grreat].

My last cruise (and the only cruise) I was on I had a balcony and I loved it. My husband was not with me on the cruise in January....he did not think he would love cruising. Since I went and LOVED it he is now ready to go.

I have convinced hubby to go on a Carribean in April but could save alot of money by booking an outside vs. a balcony cabin.

Has anyone gone back to an outside after having a balcony????

Might not be spelled right. DW cannot stand a inside cabin. We have to go porthole on up. Balcony our favorite. Going on Solstice Dec 7 and we have balcony on top deck. Still would like to get a suite deal. Ha Ha. I would probably go if inside was only thing in budget but would have to get new wife.

I went from a balcony (E. Med.) back to an inside (Alaska) and did not miss it. The secret is to book an inside with very easy access to an outside deck area - like A745 on the Sapphire Princess - absolutely loved it (not to mention the savings)!

I went from a balcony (E. Med.) back to an inside (Alaska) and did not miss it. The secret is to book an inside with very easy access to an outside deck area - like A745 on the Sapphire Princess - absolutely loved it (not to mention the savings)!

I agree with you completely on the niceness of booking an inside with easy access to the outside! Looking at the deck plans for the Sapphire, I notice that your A745 is under the Horizon Court deck area. Did you get much noise from that deck area? We were in pretty much the same location on another Princess ship, and it was pretty noisey.

just returned from our first balcony cruise; the rest have been oceanview or even insides.

loved the fact that I could open the door, sniff the air, sit outside, and know what the weather is like

however, is it a necessity when I cruise? definitely not.

if the right price comes up, of course, I would consider a balcony but that would not be the category that I look up first

we loved our Caribe BB cabin on the Grand Princess (except on the night when it got really stormy and the safest place for us was the bed! things flew off the vanity and off the bathroom counter top that night! what an adventure)

The only balcony we've had was on the Explorer of the Seas for our honeymoon. We had a cabin on the stern which have a huge balconys. Room for 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs and a table. The only problem was that there was so little air movement, even under way, that it was too hot for us during the day. We had our morning coffee and a short time before bed and that was it. We like to spend our time out on the deck on sea days, so to do without a balcony is fine. We've had a mix of inside and ocean views. An inside is great for afternoon naps. On the Carnival Spirit class ships (including our next cruise in March) we like the French Door rooms located behind the lifeboats. They have door and window like a balcony, but no balcony, only a rail. You can open the door for fresh air and if you pick one that is between 2 lifeboats, you get a view. All this for less than the price of an ocean view! We always look at the price of all the cabins and then list all the extras we can have if we economize on the room.

Balconies are the BEST, but I would book an inside if it meant I could be on the ship. I've never had an Oceanview room. I suppose it would be nice to know what the weather is like outside but if it's not a balcony it might as well be inside for me!

while balconies are ideal they just arent always necassary...we usually book inside for shorter cruises since we spend little time in the cabin, we are either on the ship somewhere or ashore. Other cruises we have booked have been OV and balcony just based on what we could get for a fare

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from 10 days in an inside cabin on the Queen Mary 2. This room was very nice and a clever light over the door helped to make the room seem less closed in and spooky dark. I really missed the balcony to dry the snorkel gear on the back of the lounge chair but for the great price of $700 for 10 days of great food, entertainment and fun give me an inside! I did notice that a wise person would find out where the entrance to the crew area and the room service areas were located and avoid those inside rooms directly adjacent. Noise and lots of crew in the hallways. Inside is OK if I get a great deal.

I don't think I would bother with an OV again.

I have been inside, Ocean View and Balcony.

My first choice is a balcony but if for some reason I could not do a balcony I would simply opt for the inside and enjoy the peaceful darkness. For me the window does not add any extra charm and I would save the money for something else.

I agree with this totally. If I don't book a balcony, I would rather have an inside cabin.

I could look out a window anywhere on the ship, and the dark room makes sleeping so peaceful.

We have just returned from a cruise to the E Carib from Miami on the Liberty. We had a balcony. The balcony was very small & I prefer ships with sliding doors to the push open ones on the Liberty. There were 2 small chairs & a small table right next to eachother. If we moved a chair, we were stuck in front of the door. To see well, we had to stand up, due to the glass wall. Also we were on the port side & had shade all the way (4 days) and only sun the 2 days back. I would have preferred 5 in the sun so starboard should have been what I booked. A lesson learned.

We had a balcony in Alaska on RCCL & loved it. Sliding doors & larger.

We didn't use the balcony much on this past cruise due to shade, size, smokers and loud, foul languaged couple one balcony over.

Guess it can go either way. For me, I think I could even do with an inside since I spent most of the time outside the cabin.

It was great, however, pulling into San Juan---gorgeous.

our thought exactly

Ours too, under most circumstances. Depending on the itinerary and time of year, we will most often book an OV. However on our next Princess cruise to the southern Caribbean in April, we decided to splurge on the balcony (although it's not that much of a splurge) since it's a very port intensive itinerary and we thought we'd enjoy using the balcony in the AM and PM.

We always choose a balcony because we tend to spend some of our time in the cabin (mid-day breaks, pre-dinner naps, etc). It's nice to be able to open the door and get some air/light in the cabin. As far as scenery - our cruise to the Bahamas -it wouldn't have been worth it based solely on scenery. All we saw most days was the ocean in any direction.

However, Alaska was an entirely different story. The scenery was spectacular and I advise any one going to Alaska to get a balcony. We took lots of pictures off our balcony.

The trip I booked yesterday to the Baltic Sea - I agonized over getting a balcony vs. OV but finally booked the balcony. In part because the only OV rooms left were right above the main stage and I didn't want to chance the noise for a ten-day cruise.

Inside - probably would never do it just because I tend to get claustrophobic.

I do think, for us, it is hard to go back after that first balcony. There's just something appealing about being about to stand or sit on your own private deck.

My last cruise (and the only cruise) I was on I had a balcony and I loved it. My husband was not with me on the cruise in January....he did not think he would love cruising. Since I went and LOVED it he is now ready to go.

I have convinced hubby to go on a Carribean in April but could save alot of money by booking an outside vs. a balcony cabin.

Has anyone gone back to an outside after having a balcony????

We've recently gone back to inside cabins after several cruises in balconies. While we love the balconies, sometimes they are just too darn expensive. We found that over time, we don't usually use the balconies that much anyway, especially on hot, tropical itineraries (unconfortably hot out there). If it's a significant savings to book an inside, then that's what we do. The most important thing is to be on the ship.

If your husband has never crusied before.....and you want to get him hooked for life....get a balcony this time around. Most guys love those balcony's and you don't want to take any chances he won't like the cruise. Now if he loves the cruise this time, you can feel him out on balcony or not the next time you cruise. My husband would not even consider a inside cabin, he would rather stay home and look out the windows.

I have sailed inside, outside, balcony, and mini (on Princess) with two cruises in full suites coming up.

I love, love, love the balcony. I wouldn't cruise the Caribbean without one. I would consider sailing in an inside or OV if it was the only way I could afford a luxury cruise (crystal, seabourn, etc) OR on a very port intensive itinerary such as the Mediterranean.

We cruise to spend time alone, not with others, and the balcony is invaluable in doing so. Certainly worth the money for us, but if you like to socialize, like to spend time on deck, like to spend your $ on other things... not so much, I imagine.

ETA:

The order of these rooms was:

OV

Balcony

Balcony

Inside

Mini

if it matters...

Archived